Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

Ever wish you had a smaller MH?

Our 30' MH prevents us from going to some camp grounds because we are over their 25' limit. I wonder if others wish they had a smaller MH due to length restrictions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #2

Some undoubtedly do - but few will admit it!

We have seen MANY longer RV's turned away from state and federal CG's along the Oregon coast - where our 24 foot KIT 5er was passed right on in.

When I got interested in fishing, and needed an easier way to tow the boat than using 2 tow vehicles, buying our current 27 foot Winnebago MH solved our problem while still delivering all the luxury and creature comforts we also wanted to fully enjoy our travels and stays. Oregon does NOT allow towing another trailer or vehicle behind a 5th wheel as nearly all other states do.

Our 27 foot MH still gets us in the smaller CG's, but also maneuvers some of our more difficult, narrow and curvy boat ramps nicely. We could have easily bought a substantially longer MH for what we paid for the 27 footer - but purposely avoided them - and have never regretted it!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Over the years we've had a 36" MH w/single slide, a 28' MH w/o slides, a truck w/ 24'TT, and now have a 40' w/4 slides. There is no perfect setup. It all depends on what kind of camping/traveling you do, how much time you spend traveling, what your personal needs are, etc. Last year we spent 6+ months continuous in the TT. This year we'll spend 7 months in the 40'er. Two months in I can say this is MUCH more comfortable and relaxing. We may not have as many choices of where to stay, but over all, we're very happy with our choice...for this kind of traveling, and we don't stay at the RV resorts.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
No not really, at 24 ft overall it's small enough, we'd sooner it was a bit larger
It's a good question though, the posts should be interesting.

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We use our MH to visit friends and family and other than the annual trip to Fort Wilderness rarely use a camp ground. That being said most of the driveways are not able to handle big rigs or have 50 amp service available. When we upgraded from our TT to a class A we looked for a MH no longer than 35 feet and 30 amp service with power management to enable us to run on 20 amps as needed. We got a Fleetwood Terra at 34 feet, 30 amp service, duel AC and two slides. It's like having a bed & breakfast located right next door to folks your visiting.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm spoiled because I went to a larger MH. I did get very frustrated when not being able to camp in our old spots that we have for many years, but when we dock and expand the slides I always forget about it because I can't believe the room that we have. I have adjusted to the larger MH and am very happy with it. We should all feel fortunate that we have one large or small.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedLancer View Post
Our 30' MH prevents us from going to some camp grounds because we are over their 25' limit. I wonder if others wish they had a smaller MH due to length restrictions.

Big Red - had to laugh when I saw that you're asking this question when you've already got a 30 footer! Our answer is "yes," we wish we had a shorter MH than our 34-foot class A. Like you, we live in California and like to use the state park campgrounds. Our 34-footer can only visit about a quarter of the parks. We like the spaciousness of a Class A, especially using the front seats and the big picture window, but next time we'll be looking hard at any class A less than 30 feet. Pretty much limited to Winnebago Vista, Newmar Bay Star, and Fleetwood these days, I think? Tiffin no longer makes their 28-foot model.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #8

"I wonder if others wish they had a smaller MH due to length restrictions."

NO!!

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In a word: No!

We rented before we bought, a 27' and 30' Class C. While they were OK, when we wanted to purchase, we were looking for something bigger. I'd admit that our may not be "typical" usage but:
- in the Texas State Parks (and others in CO, VA, SC) we've never been turned away for length. Often, there are not many longer spots available and Texas lets campers choose any sights. In spite of seeing small tents on 50' sites, we've never had a problem getting it. We've made a tour of many of ur State Parks. We much prefer State Parks and smaller RV parks to the huge RV "resorts."
- we've been on extended trips like the 22 day, 4,400 mile one last year. I suspect that a smaller RV would not have worked as well.
- we typically camp alone but have had family and friends join us from time to time. A smaller RV would have made those occasions much more difficult.
- we typically plan where we go so we are not surprised by tight spaces. Even so, we pulled into Mayflower RV in AR to get propane and found the propane service tank area very narrow. The tight turning radius of our MH allowed us to get in and out with the toad still attached. I needed a spotter for the front end but have learned where I can go and still turn around and where I cannot, just by looking. I was pretty sure that I had it the turn made. I'm not sure even a couple of feet shorter would have made that much difference.
- for backing into tight sites (especially those with very little clearance across from them, we've developed a system. I've watched others with smaller RV struggle more. Again, after a number of years of doing it. I can just look at a site and tell you whether it is too tight or not. We were in Petit Jean SP n AR and there were not many sites left. We got into one with barely enough room to open the slide but it worked fine.

We think that we have the right compromise for us. A 40' RV would probably not allow us to get away with some of the places that we've gone and stayed. We have plenty of space and, perhaps more important, plenty of cargo capacity to do what we want to do.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
There is no perfect setup. It all depends on what kind of camping/traveling you do, how much time you spend traveling, what your personal needs are, etc.
That's probably the best SHORT answer of the bunch - there's NO "one size fits all" - only added observation is that undoubtedly the desires and opinions of the wives quite likely steer many decisions to the larger/longer and more luxurious models - and we all know that if momma ain't happy...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in the absurd position of having two motor homes for this very reason. The big one is a hassle in the mountains and for parking in driveways.

There are serious tradeoffs either way and no perfect answer for all conditions.

Whe we first got the little one, we missed a turn on a NM highway and just hung a U-turn on a two lane road in one cut. In the big one, we would have been looking for a long time for a place to turn around.

For comfort and convenience, there is no contest. The big one wins without tyring.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nope................does everything we want and need, sometimes wish it was a little bigger, but not very often.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
No. For me, a 40' coach is not big enough. The next one will be 45'. I started in 1978 with a 26' Winnie Brave. Every one has been bigger than the last. I never was much for State Park , COE, BLM, etc. CGs. I enjoy where I camp or would not stay. My requirements have changed with age and experience. The difficult part in making a purchase is determining my requirements for a given period of time in the future.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #14

We FT, and our 38' suits me fine, but sometimes I am like my friend.

He bought a beautiful rock house near the edge of a Canyon. He spent months at night and on weekends re-doing it. Replacing the kitchen and baths, replacing the floors with Satilo tiles, putting in a hot tub overlooking the Canyon, and building a shop. It ended up about 3,000 sq. ft. After he retired I would call him periodically and he would report that he was having the "Life of Riley".

Then his wife retired.

We retired and left town. Months later we returned and I happened to see a billboard advertising that my friend was selling Real Estate.

I call him up and said "Whats the deal??"

He said, "I was having a wonderful time, then his wife retired and---suddenly the house got WAY too small."

So-----I guess it is all relative.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote