Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Everyone's Nightmare - Fire

So I finally got what I had wanted for years. A heavy hauler for my motorcycle trailer and a home to boot. I bought a 1987 GMC Corsair, 454 cu in 3 speed. It was the only motor home were the owner would certify so that was a plus and it only had 86,000 kms on it. It also had a new roof, frig, trang, microwave. Lots of replaced items. It was in excellent shape. Although fabric was dated there were no rips, tear or wear marks. It was 35 feet of fun. Spent all winter up in my 'man cave' and worked here and there. I'm a bit of a handyman.

May 2017 comes and I take a short three day trip to a nice KOA in the Kingston, Ontario area. Everything worked well.

Then June 10, 2017, a longer trip to a motorcycle rally in Laconia, NH. Travel around 5 hours and we are now southbound Hwy#10 south of Montreal. Then, smoke in the cabin. We pull over to the shoulder and head for the side door. By that short time smoke turned to black toxic foul smelling mess. We got out so fast that now flames were licking the ceiling. By the time we walked 50 feet to get away my dream was fully engulfed in flames. We lost everything. Clothes, cameras, iPhones, iPads, brand new TV, credit cards, cash. All we had were the clothes on our backs. Lucky to be alive and we met soon great people who stuck around and helped with translation into French.
The fire department arrived to save - nothing. Not their fault traffic was a mess. What was left was literally shovelled into containers. It was a toxic mess on the shoulder of the road.
Now a few days later it's called 'Fun with Your Insurance Company'. Is it home insurance, motor vehicle insurance, contents insurance. Well this will be awhile, told at a later date.

Now Opinion: cause, in the motor home was a three year old Danby frig. The only change I had made was finding the turn knob that showed 12v. I believe coach batteries. I switched it to 12v so frig would be cold when we get to our destination. The smoke and then flames were coming from behind this frig. In fact smoke was seen coming out the vent on the side of the motor home prior to us stopping.

So: check your wiring to your frigs and double check your insurance that you have good property coverage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.JPG
Views:	724
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	165367Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	165368
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Glad you made it out safely!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Wow, glad you're safe. At least it looks like the trailer contents might be ok?
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

So glad you got out and both are safe... Everything else is just the PITA part of life... But, you have life...

Best to you on what is ahead. Keep a smile on, and know that you survived...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh no I'm so sorry that happened to you guys. It's my biggest fear, and while of course 'things' are a big concern, my BIGGEST concern is my 2 cats. I'm glad you guys made it out ok! I'm sorry for the memories lost (camera/phone/computer/etc) though.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yikes...scarey stuff.

I carry five fire extinguishers after two tires blew out at the same time and almost started burning.

I'd be curious how your insurance company treats you and what insurance company is it?

We just went into our agent before this 2 month trip and reviewed all our insurance. So we are set in case this occurs to us.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
very sorry for the loss of your coach but very glad you and yours are safe.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #8

WildFitzy,
First off, incredibly sorry for your loss. There's so much involved that it's going to take you a while and you'll keep thinking of things you lost. It's nightmare for sure. Second, being a retired fireman, yep, I've been to dozens and dozens of those RV/trailer fires. Second, you had first hand experience at just how fast those get going in a fire. Many folks don't realize that there is so much in RVs that is flammable.

Third, the second half of my career, I was the "Engineer" on multiple crews. No matter how fast I drove, no matter how many short cuts I took, it was NEVER a short enough response time, when it came to a situation like what you experienced. I don't care if it was two blocks away from the fire station. That's TWO BLOCKS too far. Traffic always complicates fire and police response times.

Anyways, you have your life, and you can take it from here. Good luck and keep up the faith.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #9

What a disaster! I'm very thankful nobody was hurt, but talk about a setback.
We had a near miss when we were full-timing in a 5th wheel years ago. I had paid to get a tpms repeater installed and the shop hard wired it onto our 12v battery without a fuse. They also ran the wire around and across a couple of sharp edges. After about 6 months, we were checking into a campground when somebody came into the office and said there was smoke coming out of our rig. I ran out and could see it was from the battery compartment, so grabbed my fire extinguisher and opened it up. Smoke billowed out but then began to clear. I could see wiring that was completely melted. It was just dumb luck that none of the flammable materials caught fire before the copper melted and ended the dead short. If it had engulfed there was no way we would have saved anything with our little extinguisher.

Back to your post; Thank You for this serious reminder. I for one would be very grateful if you could post your experience with insurance as things progress.

By the way, if that's the Ivy Lea KOA you mentioned, we'll be up there for a few days this July, very nice camp & always some Quebecois folks there. It's close to relatives so we stay there a week or so most summers. I hope you get another RV soon and can get back to having some fun. Maybe I can buy you a Canadian beer some time!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

So to further report: having trouble with insurance. The contents that belong in the rv, they will only pay $2,500.00. I added it up and it was over $5,000.00. House contents they will pay $6,000.00. I had $19,000.00. The trailer is a write off with front damage and smoke smells. The trailer is still sound so I might fix it myself. Now the motor home is the thing because it was over ten years old I couldn't get comprehensive insurance, meaning if an at fault accident insurance doesn't pay to fix my rv. But I insisted on fire and theft go on the rv. Any vehicle I get fire and theft. So now I appeal this no paying for the rv. AND, the cleanup and tow could be thousands of dollars. Am I stuck with that too. I'm pissed.
WildFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

Looks like its time to scrub the items you believe you should be covered for . . . receipts are VERY helpful if you've got them. Then scrub your policy line by line and then hit them up again. If that doesn't help it may be time to at least consult with a lawyer to see if you have a case keeping in mind that they ain't cheap either. But it may be worth the price for at least a letter to the insurance company??? We fervently hope you are able to get back to mostly whole again . . . too bad insurance hassles get piled up on top of an already traumatic event!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You hate to see this type of story. But luckily you were not injured.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Very sorry for your loss. Main thing is everyone is safe. I'm curious who told you comprehensive and collision not available on a MH over 10 years old? That's just not true.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
regrets. glad your both safe. hope you settle favorably and buy another.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire