Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #15

Sweetbriar,

I believe that dumping the antifreeze in the tanks and driving for the monthly generator run (before the freeze) will agitate the tanks enough to mix.

No place to dump a tank in suburban Minneapolis, unfortunately.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
You need to be sure the dump valves have anti freeze, not windshield washer fluid. Your black and grey tank valves do not like to be dry or have untreated water. They can dry out damaging the seals or freeze damaging the pipes when the ice expands. So even if you completely dump your tanks go back and add some antifreeze, at $5 a gallon, a couple of gallons are cheap insurance for the spring.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #17
epj

I would completely dump both tanks and then pour at least a gallon of RVA into each tank. If you just add AF, there is no guarantee that it will effectively mix with whatever's in the tank already. $25 in antifreeze would seem very cheap compared to plumbing issues in the spring. I, too, am a cheapskate. But gotta know your limitations.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I have a Valterra SewerSolution System for just that, I have a 60 foot hose on the Sewer Solution and just pump and flush it in to my septic tank 60 feet away. When available I dump my tank with stinky slinky but when it's not, or there is an hour long line at the dump station leaving the campground or just and small load I use the SewerSolution. the leave it open all winter, I still pour RV antifteeze in the stool.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I have a Valterra SewerSolution System for just that, I have a 60 foot hose on the Sewer Solution and just pump and flush it in to my septic tank 60 feet away. When available I dump my tank with stinky slinky but when it's not, or there is an hour long line at the dump station leaving the campground or just and small load I use the SewerSolution. the leave it open all winter, I still pour RV antifteeze in the stool.

You really do not want those seals to dry out, best to leave the valve closed with some RVA in the tank.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You wouldn't want to have your black tank valve freeze up, expand and break once it thaws out, would you?

Dump in the cheap stuff and don't worry about it!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Yes the area just above the gate valve would worry me!

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #21

rv black tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
I see. Makes sense. I do not know all the configuration and piping to the output valves.
if you don't use rva you will crack your drain pipes & or valve
panheadpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #22

your valves & drain pipes will crack or break without rva
panheadpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #23

Most winters I have had a little leftover in the black tank. I live in WNY where it does occasionally drop below 0 deg F. Never had a problem. Do have residual in the tank from filling the traps and system. Did freeze a water valve once, that is why I preach about operating valves to get antifreeze in the core. ;-)

FWIW I don't complain about the belt and suspender approach as I use it myself. I do point out that overkill costs money that may be better spent elsewhere. That is why I try to get the most cost effective approach. Food safe in the water pipes because I drink from the tank. Deicer because it is intended to be diluted with water. Cheap windshield washer fluid because it is cheap and will get dumped if I am thinking about using the toilet on the road while escaping winter. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #24

Minnesota 51,

Have you tried this site to locate a RV Dump?

Minnesota – RV Dump Stations
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Minnesota 51,

Have you tried this site to locate a RV Dump?

Minnesota RV Dump Stations
Thanks!
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Yes..the issue is if it drys up and/or can freeze. Couple/three gallons of RVA should solve the problem.
X3, save your money.

Tags
black tank, tank, winter