Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Excessive Oil Usage?

Checked my oil after our last trip, Texas Hill Country to Miramar Beach Florida & was surprised to see the dipstick showed just over a quart low.

Seems excessive since the rig, V10 2019 ACE 32.1 has only 4000 miles on it.

My truck & suburban 2013/2016 don't need an oil between changes.

Opinions pleez. TY!

Doubt this ha anything to do with the oil issue. But got an error code P0300 three times on the way home, cleared it each time. Ford dealer says all checks OK.
jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Checked my oil after our last trip, Texas Hill Country to Miramar Beach Florida & was surprised to see the dipstick showed just over a quart low.

Seems excessive since the rig, V10 2019 ACE 32.1 has only 4000 miles on it.

My truck & suburban 2013/2016 don't need an oil between changes.

Opinions pleez. TY!

Doubt this ha anything to do with the oil issue. But got an error code P0300 three times on the way home, cleared it each time. Ford dealer says all checks OK.
Over a qt of oil in 850 miles is quite excessive. I would get it in to a Ford Dealer to have it checked. At the very least a trip to the dealer will get the VIN in the system and a record of the excessive oil usage if this turns into a bigger problem down the road.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #3

Yes you have an issue, my V-10 is an 06 and I never had to add oil. I change it every 4,000 miles......you are lucky to be under warranty.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your's is under warranty, I'd bring this to Ford attention.

I'd expect that 1 qt during the break-in period might be normal.. Don't panic.

Do an oil change, Fill with 6 or 7 quarts (whatever is called for), run the engine for a few minutes, let it sit for a few minutes, then check the dip stick.

Pull the stick, wipe it, then reinsert it all the way in, immediately pull it back out and check it. NOTE - Always wipe the stick first as the stick tube could pull a little vacuum and suck oil up the tub and give a false high reading.

See where the level is on the dip stick, then add oil to bring it to the "F" on the stick..

Over the next couple thousand miles, recheck and see where its at..

NOTE - My New to us Southwind has consistently burned 1 qt every 1200 miles since we got it. I don't like it, but according to Ford, this is acceptable.. I'll find the quote, but I seem to recall it was 1 qt every 1,000 miles. It doesn't have morning blue puff no oil dripping, and the plugs look very clean and nice.

My Ole Mirada had a V10, didn't burn any oil in 5 k miles.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Different engine but still a Ford issue. I had bought my wife a 1997 Ford pickup. While it was still under warranty it started to use oil, I mean a lot of oil. Called the dealer and he said that for it to be considered a warranty issue it had to use more the 1 quart in 800 miles (Yes 800 miles). The only way for them to accept it as a warranty I had to take it in and pay for an oil change. They added dye to oil to determine where I was loosing it. I then drove it until it used oil down to the add mark, it was less then 800 miles. Took it back in and they accepted it as a warranty issue and finally said that they had a problem with the valve stem seals failing, so they tore it down, removed the head and replaced the seals.

This solved the oil consumption problem but what they didn't do is drop the oil pan and clean the pickup tube screen, where all the pieces of valve stem migrated to. Ultimately the engine failed due to this but by that time it was out of warranty.

My advice is to report this to Ford ASAP. Also make sure that it is reported to the division responsible for RV chassis (ask me how I know, I have another long Ford warranty story involving an RV but that's for another day).

Do not let this go and don't stop until it is fixed, one of Ford's strategies is delay until warranty expires.

FYI. I will never ever buy another Ford.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
UPDATE on OIL usage

Turns out the dipstick on some V10's shows a quart low when full.

Makes no sense at all & really stupid is if you find out, it's the hard way!

Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Turns out the dipstick on some V10's shows a quart low when full.

Makes no sense at all & really stupid is if you find out, it's the hard way!
I guess everybody thought you checked the oil level BEFORE you started your trip.
Seems like that would have been a smart thing to do, don't you think?
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
I guess everybody thought you checked the oil level BEFORE you started your trip.
Seems like that would have been a smart thing to do, don't you think?

So if I checked it, I would've overfilled & then wonder why it was blowing oil out.

Did you know that it shows a quart low when full & think everyone knew this? Or did you add a quart & overfill it?

Kinda odd, to not calibrate the dipstick. At least put a tag on the dipstick informing the owner/mechanic.

Seems many don't know, no one shares the info, not Ford, not Thor, etc..

Old 08-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #9

We have the 2006 with 3-Valve and 5 speed. We have just over 85K on it now. I will add a quart between 5K mile oil changes. I am running the MotorCraft 5W20 semi-synthetic recommended by FoMoCo.

I had a usage problem with our 2011 Wrangler with the 3.8L V-6. I switched from the recommended 5W30 to 10W30 and it's much better now. Much better.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 AM   #10

Quote:
So if I checked it, I would've overfilled & then wonder why it was blowing oil out.

Did you know that it shows a quart low when full & think everyone knew this? Or did you add a quart & overfill it?

Kinda odd, to not calibrate the dipstick. At least put a tag on the dipstick informing the owner/mechanic.

Seems many don't know, no one shares the info, not Ford, not Thor, etc..
Or you would have checked the oil before the trip and called the same person you called after the trip.
Actually not all dipsticks are miscalibrated or by the same amount. My old Ford motorhome was spot on.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

We have 2016 V10 with only 20k miles in 3 yrs. 4 oil changes w/5w-30 full synthetic 7 qts. Always reads mid dip stick between Full & add after every oil change & before every trip. Never had to add oil. Changed out Ford oil at 3k to Amsoil ever since. If under warranty take to Ford for repair.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Update

Talked to Thor today about other problems, once that was solved he transferred me to Ford techs.

They heard a little about this. If you google oil capacity for V10 it returns multiple forum hits over the years, talking about the quart low reading.

My literature & some on internet say the motor holds 6 quarts with filter change. Ford says 7.

BTW way Thor was eager to please, they're sending a new window assembly for the door. Funny thing happened while waiting. Started out I was number 4 in line, eventually got to number 1, then next recording I went to number 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	257116  

Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #13

RV manufacturers sometimes reroute the dipsticks and or oil fill tubes. If yours is not reading full after an oil change:
1. Let the engine rest for 30 minutes
2. Take a reading.
3. Put a small nick or etch a mark with your dremel tool.
4. That's your newly re-calibrated dip stick.

This PSA was brought to you by Reacher your expert dipstick.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
isa

Triple E Owners Club
To re-calibrate a dip stick, do a complete oil and filter change making sure you
fill with the proper amount of oil and viscosity. Take the vehicle for at least a 30 min. run at hiway speeds. After you return home wait another 30 min. before you check your dip stick. Remove the dip stick and where the oil level is on the dip stick, mark it with a metal scribe then bore a 1/16" hole right in the center of the dip stick. This is the new "FULL" mark
isa is offline   Reply With Quote