Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #57

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I leave my exhaust brake on all the time. It is activated when I press the brake pedal for a second or two. It turns off when I press the throttle.
That's the way my Winnebago 39K was set up. Worked well that way.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Only turn it on when needed, otherwise you will burn more fuel.
That's my thinking also, leaving it on eliminates coasting.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #59

So, for the folks that leave the ebrake on all the time...what's the normal driving?

Cruise down i80...car in front is slowing down. Lift accelerator...eBrake engages. Tap the accel to coast. Car speeds back up, push the accel again?

That seems more busy more of the time then just lift the accel and coast. It's On or Brake. No On / Coast / Brake option.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #60

A lot of good information and differing opinions...which is all good.

I think use of the exhaust brake is a personal decision based on your preference along with how your coach manufacturer programmed the exhaust brake. I prefer to have it off unless I am headed down a significant incline.

Several of the posts imply that having the exhaust brake on provides shorter stopping distance in a panic stop. I do not believe this actually helps.

I asked this question at a Freightliner Technical workshop, and got the answer that for a panic stop, the coach service brakes provide the maximum stopping power (antilock brakes) and the exhaust brake will not help.

The coach that we had, (2000 HR Endeavor Freightliner chassis) if I had the exhaust brake on while cruising down the highway, and encountered a sudden panic stop, the system brakes would be near lockup one or two seconds before the exhaust brake would engage, and the exhaust brake would contribute nothing to the panic stop.

As far a saving the brake lining by using the exhaust brake, our coach at 112,000 miles still had significant brake lining left.

Your opinion may differ.

Fred
Old 02-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This article refers to the use of a Jake Brake, not an exhaust brake. Using an exhaust brake used the same amount on fuel as coasting. My accelerator on my coach has just enough 'play' that I can just touch it and it releases the exhaust brake. I can coast all the way down the hill if I want, engage the exhaust brake off and on without touching the switch.

I leave mine on except when the cruise control is set.
Quote:
I’m not telling anyone how to use it, i’m just saying you will use more fuel.
https://www.teamrunsmart.com/article...kes-waste-fuel
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #62

Exhaust brake and a Jake do the same thing, they are both engine brakes. The Jake is more efficient at braking in my mind. Regardless of which type you have when you lift from the accelerator you start engine braking. I have said all i am going to now. Enjoy your travels which ever way you use the engine brake.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
So, for the folks that leave the ebrake on all the time...what's the normal driving?

Cruise down i80...car in front is slowing down. Lift accelerator...eBrake engages. Tap the accel to coast. Car speeds back up, push the accel again?

That seems more busy more of the time then just lift the accel and coast. It's On or Brake. No On / Coast / Brake option.
First, I want to say that I do not encounter your scenario very often because most times on the interstate I set the cruise on about 62 and drive in the right lane. I can drive there for literally hours without once taking it off cruise. On the rare occasion when this does happen, I will tap on the brake to cancel cruise which will in turn engage the ebrake, slowing me down. When I am ready to resume my speed, I re-engage the cruise and I am back to 62mph again. All the while I may never even touch the accelerator. Easy peasy.

Like I have repeatedly said, you should drive the way that makes sense to you, and I should do the same. This discussion is good though, to point out alternative ways of doing things.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
First, I want to say that I do not encounter your scenario very often because most time on the interstate I set the cruise on about 62 and drive in the right lane.
I too (like most) use the cruise a lot. But when I get to busier driving, I drive manually. Cities, road construction, narrow lanes, tight traffic, etc where I don't trust the cruise control single mindlessness. Or for hilly areas that the cruise doesn't have any anticipation for a steep climb ahead.

I also sometimes just like to Drive Keeps my head in the game.

I would say 20% is non Cruise. For those times, only 2% do I find I use engine braking at all (steep descents that aren't good for mechanical brake overheating). Heck, I don't use the foot brakes much when RVing due to the more laid back vacation mode of not having to beat every other driver to the next corner

The brake shoes are going to last till the RV is sold / scrapped.

The numbers are guesses but just to generalize. Going down the Rockies with car trailer in tow without having to touch the mechanical brakes is nice to know the brakes are ready for a sudden stop.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
I am new to large diesels. My new to me rig has an exhaust brake with an in/off switch. I understand basically what the exhaust brake does. My question is when should I turn it on or off? I have seen some folks that basically leave it on and others that use it only for going down big hills. Is there a downside to just leaving it on and using it to slow down at lights?
Simple, turn it on before you hit the brake pedal.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #66

and in the forum of incredible misinformation that clears up all the questions. 5 pages of every totally factual answer known to mankind.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
First, I want to say that I do not encounter your scenario very often because most times on the interstate I set the cruise on about 62 and drive in the right lane. I can drive there for literally hours without once taking it off cruise. On the rare occasion when this does happen, I will tap on the brake to cancel cruise which will in turn engage the ebrake, slowing me down. When I am ready to resume my speed, I re-engage the cruise and I am back to 62mph again. All the while I may never even touch the accelerator. Easy peasy.

Like I have repeatedly said, you should drive the way that makes sense to you, and I should do the same. This discussion is good though, to point out alternative ways of doing things.
Certainly nothing wrong with the way you're engaging your EB when your cruise control is active, but in the vein off alternative ways of doing things, pressing your cruise control Cancel button will also activate your EB.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wrong! They accomplish the same thing...using the engine back pressure to slow the vehicle. That is where similarity ends. Jake brake disables a number of exhaust valves depending on the level you choose.

An exhaust brake used a butterfly valve, just past the turbo. It does not have a hi/low setting.

The Jake brake does create additional heat to build up in the engine because the hot air from compression is not exhausted, which is the premise presented in the article posted.

The exhaust brake can produce additional heat in the exhaust system, but lower increase in the engine.

Both have pluses and minuses. Jake brakes are more efficient at slowing a vehicle, but are more complicated, therefore more expensive. Exhaust brakes are less complicated and less expensive, but less effective with heavy loads and put additional strain on the exhaust system.

Bottom line...they are not the same!
Quote:
Exhaust brake and a Jake do the same thing, they are both engine brakes. The Jake is more efficient at braking in my mind. Regardless of which type you have when you lift from the accelerator you start engine braking. I have said all i am going to now. Enjoy your travels which ever way you use the engine brake.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #69

Read what i said, I did not say they were the same, i said they do the same thing, they use the engine to slow you down. By the way not all exhaust brakes are a butterfly valve in the exhaust, some use the variable vanes in the turbo to restrict exhaust. All i tried to do when i first posted is add some info to the equation, not start an argument about using it. I do it my way and you can do it your way, simple as that.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #70

Jacobson makes both " Engine " and " Exhaust " brakes.

Saying you have a " Jake " brake doesn't ID what kind you have.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, exhaust