Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
Take it to a performance shop, one that actually builds race cars, street cars, and engines. The right headers and exhaust, with some carbeurator adjustments, timing and fuel flow can make all the difference in the world if done correctly. We had the complete Banks system on our '05 Winnie (8.1 vortec) and, even though it did make a difference, it wasn't worth the money. I took it to a "racer guy" who did his thing and man, what a difference. There all kinds of header products and spark plug accessories to deal with the heat issues now by the way. And yes, it does sound way cool when you're done!
X2..

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Arnold,

I'm just down the road from you. Do you need to have an emmissions check in P.O.? If not, the headers and good exhaust are well worth the power gains.
Banks is the 'gold standard' unfortunately they are priced accordingly. Thorley and Gibson are good too. I found the best value with the Hedman Elite headers. They have thicker flanges than their standard headers and come with a ceramic coating and a lifetime warranty. The ceramic coating is the key to keeping the underhood temps down and rust away.
Check out SummitRacing.com for a nice selection of headers.
Best of luck whatever solution you choose.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #17

Installed Banks headers and exhaust system on 92 MH with Chev 454 with TBI and it made a tremendous improvement in drivability, throttle response, engine ran cooler, and overall a really good investment.
If your budget can take the hit, Banks is the only way to go. The system is designed for RV use. Everything fits, and the final installation looks and is very professional. Go for it!
CarlGeo
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another alternative would be to replace them with the newer stainles steel alloy cast manifolds. As far as headers you can buy headers that are already coated with a ceramic material that reduces rusting and heat but with headers you will have to replace or rework the rest of your exhaust system.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #19

Shorty headers are a bolt on replacement and fit(hopefully) the existing down pipe. They connect at the donut.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
I had put a set of headers on my old 454 (carburetor) engine. I had to throw them away because they kept burning out spark plug wires- too tight on clearances of plugs and wires (they were "Redmonds", or something like that).

I then put on Banks headers and no more problems.

They are louder in the cockpit than original cast iron exhaust manifolds.

The difference in power was immediately felt. Never noticed much improvement in MPG.

Good luck,
From what I can find, the $33 is for two protectors. Their site is not too easy to navigate.
I even copy and pasted the exact part description and it said: Your search for "Product Number 71991 from Moroso" found no results.. Kinda makes me wonder why this guy got paid for building the web page.

Moroso Spark Plug Boot/Wire Insulators

Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
The original cast iron manifolds on many engines are subject to cracking from the thermal cycling and expansion/contraction they're exposed to in operation. Because of their individual tube design, headers are better able to handle this expansion/contraction without fracturing.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #22

I went with NAPA ceramic boot plugwires. A little pricey, I think mine were around $120.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Shorty headers are a bolt on replacement and fit(hopefully) the existing down pipe. They connect at the donut.
Shorty headers do NOTHING in the lower RPMs, Long tube 1 /5/8 1 3/4 are what the RV folks need for that low end torque....

Exhaust reversion......Anyone know anything about it?
Well just measure the "Banks collector" and tell me what you hafta do to connect it up to your tail pipe which is generally 2 1/2 in size.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Shorty headers do NOTHING in the lower RPMs, Long tube 1 /5/8 1 3/4 are what the RV folks need for that low end torque....
Agreed....IF someone is purchasing headers for performance gains. On the other hand, if someone is just looking for a replacement for stock cracked exhaust manifolds with more resistance to cracking, bolt-in shorties might work fine for their purposes.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #25

I don't think it is an issue with RV's. That is primarily a concern with high overlap cams. Not something you would find in an RV.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #26

As always YMMV. I put a hi-performance cam in my sandrail and it came on strong at about 4k. I then added shorty headers and it now pulls steady from the bottom end up.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In an RV, anything is better than the iron logs...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #28

I'd be afraid of getting the header sound into the cab.