Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #1

Exhaust smell

I drive a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39A with 4 slides and 330 Hp We recently noticed an exhaust smell coming from under the bed anybody had similar problem? I know it's not coming from closet hatch put new seal and tightened well quite a while before the smell started
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 11:01 AM   #2

You need to check carefully for an exhaust leak.

With a good flashlight, start under bed/closet. May have to examine the exhaust (post turbo/exhaust brake from below). Look for any tell-tail black soot which would indicate an exhaust leak.

Check:
Between head and exhaust manifold
Exhaust manifold itself
Exhaust manifold to turbo
Turbo to exhaust brake

Exhaust system from exhaust brake to end of tailpipe

Let us know what you find.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #3

Your 330 HP engine ; could be a Cummins , ISB , ISC or a Cat C-7 in 2005 .

Could you clarify your engine type.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
According to the brochure; it's a Cat C-7
Old 01-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

“I know it's not coming from closet hatch put new seal and tightened well quite a while before the smell started”

If just before noticed smell I’d suggest double checking your work.
DerekF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #6

Exhaust smell

Not trying to be dumb here, but is the smell when going down the road or when parked?

Reason for asking is my wife says she often smells exhaust from under her side of bed while we are parked
Old 01-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
I drive a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery 39A with 4 slides and 330 Hp We recently noticed an exhaust smell coming from under the bed anybody had similar problem? I know it's not coming from closet hatch put new seal and tightened well quite a while before the smell started
Do you smell anything in the closet?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #8

I just went through this on my 2006 Discovery 39S with Cat C7. The elbow coming down off the turbo was rotted out. Every piece of the exhaust except the giant muffler was rotted through. 1k$ in parts later its fixed.

Btw...in my case the hole that developed in the turbo downpipe elbow melted/burned a hole in a giant wire loom that passes by it. Fried about 5 large battery wires and caused all kinds of shorts to ground. Major pain in the ass and cost me 3 AGM batteries before I figured it out.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post
I just went through this on my 2006 Discovery 39S with Cat C7. The elbow coming down off the turbo was rotted out. Every piece of the exhaust except the giant muffler was rotted through. 1k$ in parts later its fixed.

Btw...in my case the hole that developed in the turbo downpipe elbow melted/burned a hole in a giant wire loom that passes by it. Fried about 5 large battery wires and caused all kinds of shorts to ground. Major pain in the ass and cost me 3 AGM batteries before I figured it out.

I had the same thing happen to me on a 2005 Expedition with a c- 7 the elbow that goes into the muffler rotted out and fried my inverter.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:34 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I had the same thing happen to me on a 2005 Expedition with a c- 7 the elbow that goes into the muffler rotted out and fried my inverter.

The first elbow down from turbo seems like the most likely issue like on mine. It takes the most beating of hot gasses.
I was actually looking for something else and discovered the hole by accident as it was in a pretty dark spot high up. Never noticed any exhaust smell inside but the side radiator probably causes enough air flow to prevent that.

After replacing the pipe, the coach is quite a bit quieter. Luckily nothing else got burned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_151210.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	354726  
Old 01-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #11

Smile Exhaust Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy1 View Post
Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago on a trip from Indiana to Florida. Found an exhaust shop in Wildwood that took care of the problem: rotted exhaust pipe between the turbo and the muffler. $600 parts and labor.

Was noticeably quieter and NO exhaust smell on the 1,000 mile trip home.

2007 Itasca Meridian 39K
2011 Jeep Liberty Toad
IndyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think we're missing an OP!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #13

Lazy 1, my 03 Discovery burned through at the first elbow after the turbo in year 8.
As mentioned by others wire loom and some insulation melted and burned. I was amazed the coach did not burn up.
Get to a custom exhaust shop SOON and have a stainless steel pipe made and have it wrapped with the high temp foil insulation used on the new trucks these days. In my opinion this was a major design flaw by Fleetwood/Freightliner. I wonder how many coaches burned up due to this?
Good luck
Bob
islandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbob View Post
Lazy 1, my 03 Discovery burned through at the first elbow after the turbo in year 8.
As mentioned by others wire loom and some insulation melted and burned. I was amazed the coach did not burn up.
Get to a custom exhaust shop SOON and have a stainless steel pipe made and have it wrapped with the high temp foil insulation used on the new trucks these days. In my opinion this was a major design flaw by Fleetwood/Freightliner. I wonder how many coaches burned up due to this?
Good luck
Bob
Or you could have the pipe ceramic coated like I did, also lined the area where the clearance was tightest with a thermal barrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95B60D68-F77A-4457-9FD5-EF6B559D76C0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	354772  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, smell