Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Experience Adding a "Keyless" Entry System?

Does anybody have experience adding a "keyless entry" solution (i.e., combination lock) to their coach's entry door? We recently installed keyless locks on our stick and brick home - and have found we really like having to worry about whether we've got keys. With us each tending to come and go on our own - I really like that I can lock the door each and every time I walk out, knowing that I'm not going to lock out another family member who may have just walked next door without their key assuming that I was going to be home.

I'd like to looking adding this to my coach. Is this a big deal from an installation point of view?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm interested too.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

me too
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have one of those install on my 98 American Dream, went to Home Depot and purchase the best quality they carry and install it four years ago and still working fine.
If your a bit of a handy man, not that hard to install. I purchase the battery operated
unit and I replace the battery once a year. Just make sure you have room in-between door jam and side window to install the outside key pad, need about 3.5 to 4 inches of flat surface wall.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

Why install a locking system that would block you from entering in the event of a electrical failure? Our '02 rig had dual mechanical locks, one a car-type and the other a residential deadbolt lock. We bought it used, but it looked like an original Georgetown installation.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

I added keyless to mine.

Biggest thing is it depends what kind of latch/handle you have. There are bolt in replacements for some, but not for others.

On your coach, was keyless an option? If it was, you may be able to add factory parts.

Old thread about keyless I responded there too, there's a link to my installation.

Edit...
According to the brochure you should have keyless entry.

Are you not the original owner? Maybe you just need a fob.

If you want the keypad though, I don't think it came with that. But you may be able to add one. Trimark (popular OEM system) has the ability to add one.

Edit again, looks like HR did use Trimark stuff
This thread may be helpful

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Anybody install a remote lock for their basement doors?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"SpaceNorman"......The biggest issue will be retrofitting the door lock with an electric lock. I'm guessing that electric lock would be readily available from Monaco parts. You could probably find it cheaper, but Monaco would probably know immediately what replacement will work. Monaco may tell you where to buy the lock, depending on who you get to answer the parts phone. Occasionally, they would help out that way when I needed something.

Your next hurdle will be getting power from the coach to the door. Typically, coaches have spring loaded pins installed in the door frame and door to make contact to operate the lock. It might be simpler to just add a flexible wire connection (coiled flexible lead) at the top edge of the door.

Lastly, many coaches use the Trimark locking system. It's really just an alarm system. They pick and choose what features they want to incorporate. You can unlock the doors, turn on lights, sound an alarm.

I think it can be done and fairly easily, once you find the right door lock mechanism.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

SpaceNorman,

Did you figure out if you already have a keyless system? I was curious as to what you have and are after...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Did you figure out if you already have a keyless system? I was curious as to what you have and are after...
My coach is a 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor - with a simple keyed entry latch and separate keyed deadbolt. I've looked at most of the solutions suggested in this thread - but haven't seen anything that looks like a simple "drop in" replacement/upgrade. As far as what I'm looking for goes - it's one of those I'll know it if/when I see it sort of things. We're traveling at the moment - but I think when I get home I'll look into the feasibility of installing a "factory" solution after the fact. It's ultimately going to come down to cost. I'd love to dump the keys - but don't want to spend crazy $$ to do it!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
My coach is a 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor - with a simple keyed entry latch and separate keyed deadbolt. I've looked at most of the solutions suggested in this thread - but haven't seen anything that looks like a simple "drop in" replacement/upgrade. As far as what I'm looking for goes - it's one of those I'll know it if/when I see it sort of things. We're traveling at the moment - but I think when I get home I'll look into the feasibility of installing a "factory" solution after the fact. It's ultimately going to come down to cost. I'd love to dump the keys - but don't want to spend crazy $$ to do it!
I have a factory install on our Newmar (10 years old). The keypad failed after about 4 years. I do NOT intent to replace it. We each carry a key on a neck strap. We also have a Master Lock Box ( like the one realtors use) with a full set of keys.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

Easy solution: Hide a key somewhere.
Lynn
Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Up until we got the Magna we've never had the electronic locks. They came on the Magna as a factory item. Now that we have them I like them, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to install them aftermarket!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Easy solution: Hide a key somewhere.
Lynn
Oh ... I've got the spare keys. The real reason I want keyless access is so that my wife or I can walk away from the coach at any time and know that we won't be locking the other out ... without having to go confirm that the spare key was put back after the last time it got used. I'm a stickler for keeping things locked ... my wife, not so much. If my wife isn't sure if I've got my keys - she'll happily walk away and leave the door unlocked. It drives me nutz!!!