RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #1

Experience with Shine On or similar product?

I need to bring back the shine on gelcoat surfaces and some of the painted surfaces with deteriorating clear coat.

I looked at some advertising and reviews on a product called Shine On but would like to hear from people in this community who have used it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is no magic bullet. Once the gelcoat loses it's shine and the clear coat peels, you can only do temporary fixes. You can make it look nice for a few weeks, but will revert back to what it was before.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There is no magic bullet. Once the gelcoat loses it's shine and the clear coat peels, you can only do temporary fixes. You can make it look nice for a few weeks, but will revert back to what it was before.
Only if you stay with conventional methods.

Do a search for Zep on the forum and you'll find plenty of owners with gelcoat reporting good results. The pic is my 2006 coach that's out in the mid Atlantic area weather 24/7 and in it's prior life somewhere in central Florida. This is after my annual spring cleaning and the results pretty much last all season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-16 12.52.28.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	306512   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_125243.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	306513  

Old 10-30-2020, 11:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Only if you stay with conventional methods.

Do a search for Zep on the forum and you'll find plenty of owners with gelcoat reporting good results. The pic is my 2006 coach that's out in the mid Atlantic area weather 24/7 and in it's prior life somewhere in central Florida. This is after my annual spring cleaning and the results pretty much last all season.

I am about to tackle my 2004 Winnebago Adventurer. I am going to scrub with Green 3M Scrub Pads using Bon-Ami with LOTS of water, then rinse with TSP. Then I will use Zep Wet Look applying 5 to 8 very thin coats. Fingers Crossed

LeeB

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:07 AM   #5

I have a 1996 Fleetwood Storm that had a sun faded and oxidized clear coat. I tried several products and none of them helped. I took a chance last year and used Shine On on it. The finish looks almost new now. It is very important to clean the surface before you apply it. Read the instructions and follow them. I am old and out of shape, so it took me two days to clean the surface and one day to apply the Shine On. The change was remarkable, I was able to see my reflection in the finish. This year I applied three touch up coats as recommended and will continue to do so for as long as I own the RV.

Name:	20190621_152009.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	306516

Name:	20190624_173050.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	306517
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:47 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I am about to tackle my 2004 Winnebago Adventurer. I am going to scrub with Green 3M Scrub Pads using Bon-Ami with LOTS of water, then rinse with TSP. Then I will use Zep Wet Look applying 5 to 8 very thin coats. Fingers Crossed

LeeB
Light duty white 3M scrub pads are a little less aggressive than the green. Less scratching of what remains of the base material. Liquid Bar Keeper's Friend is a little easier to use than the dry powder. Seems to rinse better also.

Wear glovers when applying Zep unless you like your finger nails looking better than the DW's.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Light duty white 3M scrub pads are a little less aggressive than the green. Less scratching of what remains of the base material. Liquid Bar Keeper's Friend is a little easier to use than the dry powder. Seems to rinse better also.

Wear glovers when applying Zep unless you like your finger nails looking better than the DW's.

I can't find the white pads. But I am still looking, BKF scares me because I used it to scrub our Pots and Pans (we cook with gas) and BKF actually etched the surface. I'll have to see if Bon-Ami works I have some BKF if I don't get the results I like.. Ha ha ha about wearing gloves (I will)

LeeB

If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
Wish I was somewhere I could not use the internet...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I speak from experience when I say "Don't Use ZEP" . It does not have any UV protection in it and will yellow over time, especially in the south with the harsh sun where it won't take long to yellow. I put it on our RV and have regretted doing so ever since. It is cheap and does a nice job of shining up your coach if you want to sell it but if you want to keep your coach and keep it looking good don't use ZEP! I ended up switching over to PolyGlo which is a product that is formulated with UV protection specifically for use on RV's and boats. There are other similar products such as Shine On out there that would work just as well as long as they have the UV protection. ZEP has none, it's a floor wax that is used indoors out of the suns rays where it works great.
This is just my experience and opinion for what it's worth. PolyGlo does cost more but in the end is worth the extra money in my opinion.
I did give our old coach one more coating of PolyGlo then sold it and bought a coach with full body paint. No more gelcoat for me.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:18 PM   #9

Won't help with peeling clear coat, but use this when travelling.
https://washwax.com/
Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
,,, I ended up switching over to PolyGlo which is a product that is formulated with UV protection specifically for use on RV's and boats. ,,,
Got any specifications regarding UV protection? How long does it last? What percentage of UV block? What part, or parts, of the UV spectrum does it block? The manufacture claims "numerous UV inhibitors" but they provide nothing more. There are standard test routines for UV blocking but very few manufactures of consumer safe products available to the RV owner list what tests they have performed and what the results were.

What is interesting about Poli Glow is the application instructions are about same regarding prep and how to apply the product as RV owners have posted for Zepp. Also both list nearly the same potentially hazardous components on their SDS disclosure. Poli Glow has one addition, (2-methoxymethylethoxy)propanol. Unfortunately I could not find an Ingredient Disclosure for Poli Glow as I did for Zepp. https://zsds3.zepinc.com/ehswww/zep/...C013=ZUWLFF128. Would be interesting to see how they compare.

I'll speak from experience and will say to "Use Zepp" if nothing else has worked for an owner with a weathered gelcoat finish. Never had any problem with yellowing over the past eight years of use, application is much easier than so called wipe on rub off stuff with unverifiable "UV protection", the finish last well over a year and one gallon that will take years to use up cost less than $25.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

Go buy a buffer......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Go buy a buffer......
And get on with it.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got a buffer. Actually have two and neither will do much of anything to improve the appearance of worn and weathered gelcoat. You want them? I'll throw in a box of various polishes, sealers, waxes, cutting agents, clays and other "miracle" products that also do little or only last a few weeks at best.

Got any other suggestions?
Old 11-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #14

Nu Finish lasts a year.....just need to be willing to supply elbow grease.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote