Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Extended RV Service Plans

Or whatever you call them.

Ours is expiring next month and after 7 years, the options are not inexpensive and I no longer know which are the best, in spite of the expense.

Good Sam
Xtra Ride
Travel USA
Etc.

These plans are generally running about $2,000 per year, plus or minus. What has been your experience?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Used my Good Sam insurance for my Onan genset and dash A/C with no Questions at Colton Truck Terminal. They do a lot of warranty service with Good Sam and are trustworthy in Both Respects. Just told them what I wanted to get fixed and they said take it in. Covered me all the way
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

I don't like asking permission to fix my coach. If extended warranties cost $2K per year and I have been rving for 17 years, I'm $34K ahead. Less about $5K for repairs which is probably more than I have actually spent. So I'm still $29K ahead.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wholesale Warranties gave me the best price. I have used my policy 4 times without a problem.

https://www.wholesalewarranties.com/

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #5

When we bought our used MH from Camping World, we also purchased their ESC(extended service contract) @ $,4,500 for 3 yrs, with $50 deductible. Our reasoning was, hidden things that required repair/replacement. (be sure to buy optional seals and gaskets rider)
By the end of the contract, the provider had paid-out $4,800, that $300 difference paid our deductible money.
By the end of the contract, everything had been repaired/replaced that required such.
Some folks believe in self-insuring. I wish them the best of luck with that, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. We cannot afford to replace an engine @ $30K each.
Camping World's ESC program is now limited to 7 yrs old.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #6

Insure what you can't afford to replace.

With that said I have chosen not to buy an extended warranty on my new to me used coach. They are expensive. But in the first couple of months ownership, I had to replace a AC condenser which cost me 2 grand, about 2/3 of what the annual premium on a extended warranty.

Life's a gamble but except for medical and liability insurance I think most responsible people are over insured. I've paid out way more in insurance premiums than I'll ever get back.

I can afford to replace my coach if I had to. Not saying I would.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #7

I went ahead and bought the good Sam super duper elite or whatever it's called. It was only a fraction of the cost of the mh.

It has no value whatsoever, year one on the house. Also has no value for three years on the chassis.

I also purchase the full warranty with every new car and truck ever purchased.

I have barely ever used any of the warranties. So, I'm sure just like gambling, the house always wins.

Also pay a lot of money for life insurance that I hope to hold off on cashing out.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #8

One more thought. For someone who cannot or doesn't want to work on their coach, an extended warranty makes sense.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #9

Put your 2 grand/yr in a savings account. You'll be much further ahead than spending it on extended warranties.

Insurance companies sell these things because they are VERY profitable. They are NOT selling them to benefit you.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
$2K a year seems excessive for a 2009. You should be able to find a 4 or 5 year plan for $900 a year. Do a search on this forum....
Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I don't like asking permission to fix my coach. If extended warranties cost $2K per year and I have been rving for 17 years, I'm $34K ahead. Less about $5K for repairs which is probably more than I have actually spent. So I'm still $29K ahead.

I agree and most plans are not worth the paper they are printed on.
If they were such a good value to the owner that would mean the company is losing money and paying more for repairs then what they have collected from the owners. They are in business to make millions not lose money

Dealers sell plans with a preset deductible per visit, WOW sounds great. So they let you think if you come in for warranty work you only have to pay your deductible for this visit HOWEVER when you look at the bill then you see add on fees.

Diagnostic Time @ $105.00 per hour, to confirm what needs to be replaced
Shipping Fees to have your warranty parts sent to the dealer.

It would make more sense to have a separate bank account and place warranty money into that account. In the long run most people will see they have plenty of money left over as compared to the money spent on actual repairs.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

The question is not whether you did or didn't personally experience an expensive repair on your MH. The majority probably will not. The question you should ask yourself is, "If I am in the unlucky 10% (or you pick a percentage), am I ok with writing a check for several thousand dollars?" If not, you now know what to do. How much relevance should someone else's experience or opinion have on your personal risk/reward analysis?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=ByeTheWay;3601767]I don't like asking permission to fix my coach. QUOTE]

That's a misleading characterization of how an extended service contract works. The "permission" you're referring to is NOT whether or not you can fix your coach - it's part of a proscribed process you must follow if you want your extended service provider to pay for it. The process isn't something that gets sprung on you - it's outlined in the contract. Requiring approval prior to performing any repairs I expect the extended service provider to cover has never struck me as unreasonable.

I've had 4 repairs in the past two years go thru this process - and haven't found the process to be much of an encumbrance. In fact, it's been a bit of a help. In 3 of the 4 instances - my extended service provider negotiated a reduced labor rate for the repair.

Tags
service