Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Extended Service Warranty/Contract

Recently purchased 2006 Itasca Meridian 39K DP. Thinking about getting an Extended Service Warranty/Contract for it and was wondering what others are doing? We are looking at Wholesale Warranties for the insurance.

Is it worth it, who do you use and approximate costs? Any other suggestions/recommendations?

We currently have roadside assistance thru FMCA for on the road travel issues.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

No offense, but here we go again. You will hear testimonies from people who are happy with their ESC and how much it has paid out. I have never had one and consider them a waste of money. You have to ask yourself why they are such a good profit center for the selling dealer or the company issuing the contract? It's kind of like an insurance policy with a lot if fine print giving the company an excuse not to pay if the proper steps are not covered. It all depends on your comfort zone. Do you want to spend Thousands now that you might or might not get back? The company is hoping you do. If you fear a major repair might happen, then it might be right for you. It just never was for me.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
P38

Motorhome magazine has a "Hotline" take action page for people who have "exhausted all other resources". The majority of the articles involve extended warranty problems. Nearly all get settled after a long drawn out process.
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

There have been lots of posts about this. The search feature on the forum will help you. You will see two opinions. Most think they are a waste of money. We have purchased two of them. The first one paid out more than we paid into it. We are a year into the second one and it has paid out more than the first year. We recommend getting one when you do not have a solid maintenance history for the coach.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
When I purchased my motorhome three years ago it was eight years old and only had 5000 miles of use (and looked new inside and out). I was concerned that there could be expensive repairs because of the limited use i.e. wheel bearings, suspension, transmission, engine, etc. Thus I purchased a three year service contract from XtraRide and was glad I did as I had several of those "limited use" repairs including dash board A/C compressor and hoses replacement, stabilizer and sway bar replacement, starter solenoid replacement (had to replace the entire starter as solenoid is integral to the starter), replace slide out controllers, replace turbo charger positioner, replace coolant tank on Onan generator, etc. The cost of these repairs exceeded the $5600 cost for the XtraRide service contract. XtraRide was fantastic to work with!

I'm now pursuing a new three year service contract from Wholesale Warranty (Viking Protection) as XtraRide will not issue a new three year contract for RVs over ten years old and the cost of a one year contract from XtraRide is as much as a three year contract from Wholesale Warranty.

I've learned that for a diesel pusher Class A motorhome the "sticker shock" for repairs is not the price of the parts. It's the labor price which ranges from $135 per hour to $165 per hour in the Houston area which I have to pay because I am not a DIY mechanic !!

Others will advise "self insure" for repair work which is OK if there are no uncertainties about needing big cost repairs like those I've had. I also read on iRV2 and FMCA forums the big, big cost engine and transmission repairs which fortunately I've avoided and could not afford if repairs were needed.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

Charlie,

Here is a link to 6000 + previous threads for the search term "extended warranty".

https://www.google.com/search?q=%28e...=13&gws_rd=ssl

"Extended Warranty" is the misleading term used by that industry to make you think you are getting an extended factory warranty, so they start off with a lie.
Out of the search, pick 5-8 from the last six weeks and you will have the lay of the land. Some swear by them but most swear at them. The first step to a paid claim is reading the contract 3 times and having a firm grasp on what is and isn't covered.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I got the extended service contract from the dealer for my current RV. I read it over to see what was covered before getting it. I must have gotten a gem since most everything gets covered (other than seals since thats a maintenance issue).

I just recently got the inverter, solar charge controller, door hold open latch, drivers window latch, an air guage, and the step cover serviced under the contract. They paid for everything which saved me at least $3,500 so far (Or rather it paid for the service contract already).

I bought a used DP from a dealer so I figured it was a good idea. Turns out it worked out well for me. At least I have many more years of worry free repairs.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

Even with everything I post negatively towards these providers, when we jump to the Class A DP, I am going to explore them with everything bad in mind.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BigRed- View Post
I got the extended service contract from the dealer for my current RV. I read it over to see what was covered before getting it. I must have gotten a gem since most everything gets covered (other than seals since thats a maintenance issue).

Who is the contract with? Can you share the name/contact info?
jmltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmltech View Post
Don't have a contract yet, but did get some information from Wholesale Warranty.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmltech View Post
Sure, I will look when I get home from work.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #12

Quote:

I just recently got the inverter, solar charge controller, door hold open latch, drivers window latch, an air guage, and the step cover serviced under the contract. They paid for everything which saved me at least $3,500 so far (Or rather it paid for the service contract already).

I bought a used DP from a dealer so I figured it was a good idea. Turns out it worked out well for me. At least I have many more years of worry free repairs.
When we bought an ESC we also bought the gaskets and seals rider. Without it any resulting mechanical damage from a failed gasket or seal is not covered-it's called consequential damage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
When we bought an ESC we also bought the gaskets and seals rider. Without it any resulting mechanical damage from a failed gasket or seal is not covered-it's called consequential damage.
Good information there, Thanks. I'll need to check that out in their contract.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sure, I will look when I get home from work.
Sez on the packet:

Warrantech
An AmTrust Financial Company
-BigRed- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, warranty