Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSalt View Post
It obviously paid off for you big time. I know turbos are spendy. The fan clutch seems a little outrageous. Of course they're going to charge top dollar. But that list is the exception not the rule, I hope.
We have an 03 and bought a warranty. So far, we're gonna lose our shorts on it...
Several notes of interest when buying an extended warranty (technically an extended service plan). One is every extended plan has it's limits meaning max. payout. If it's not known right up front in the contract check the fine print. Second even exclusionary contracts have little caveats like you pay for shipping and taxes above and beyond your deductible. Am I a fan of them absolutely. Though I'm fairly mechanically and electrically inclined and I try to learn everything about anything I own from head to toe. I'm getting old and not as flexible as I once was and diesel engines of today are a lot more complicated than of yesterday years. Plus if my residential refrigerator goes I don't want to have to figure out how to get that out of my coach. Oh! on my present coach it already paid for a decent portion because of a leveler issue requiring work and replacement of several levelers. It's a gamble, I agree, but "do you feel lucky" to me IMHO it's gives me one less thing I need to worry. Not everyone will agree and they're rational makes me think all the time whether or not it's worth it but in the end, it's the comfort level I feel.
Thanks
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #16

Another consideration is where the rig has to be be brought to do warranty work. I believe in my neck of the woods the closest one is many hours away. Winnebago has a list where it can be fixed...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
My warranty has no stipulation as to which shop does the work...

On large ticket items they do send an inspector to the shop which I totally understand....

In addition I opted for the $500 deductible....

CoachNet has been more than accommodating to me - when the cooling unit on my refrigerator failed no replacement could be found (due to COVID) so they were willing to pay the cooling unit cost towards a new refrigerator....

Also - they cover motel/food costs while rig was in shop...

A free roadside assistance plan come with it and its covered the tow charges completely....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #18

We have to bring ours to a shop that does warranty work, not all do.... Winnnie...
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
I can take mine to a non-warranty shop, pay for work myself and CoachNet reimburses me.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You already have an extended warranty/service contract if you have.....life insurance, homeowner's insurance, EQ insurance, SSA, pension plan, etc. You are paying these people money in advance.....hoping they will pay off in the future.

How is your financial status...can you afford $800 a year for a 5-7 year exclusionary service contract ? Bet you would go for a $100 a year contract.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #21

Have not been impressed with the plan we have.

They argued about a hydraulic hose that bubbled...no burst...found it before

The said should have been HWH hose repair facility had better hoses and track record. So they dropped reimbursement

Lost Air brake Compressor. They argued about "New Pump" replacement price...Then agreed price was right...but did not agree with hours for Remove..Replace the pump.

Started work and they said no rebuild existing pump...
We were in Hotel in a week by then

Told shop to put new compressor in.
Contacted Warranty company and they only reimbursed for a rebuild at a very low time to do it

If we self insured would have been on the road faster and less hassle..less money spent

less than one year on contract we will self insure after this,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #22

Our plan has paid for itself and then some. That's the exception to the rule however. And I can tell you the companies can come up with some really stupid reasons for not covering something. An example, had a connector on the generator fail. Insurance company said that was a "broken wire" and it isn't covered. I could fight it in arbitration, but what a pain. I've had them pay for half of a repair, they didn't cover the total cost because they said it wasn't covered. Why pay half then? Our plan expires in March and we will not be renewing. For the most part, the companies are right about level with pond scum. Good luck.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #23

I don't buy an extended warranty on anything.

I just hate asking permission to fix an item knowing the insurance company is going to do the cheapest job they can.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 PM   #24

Well there are many winners in the extended service contracts. Those who sell them. And of course the companies themselves.
You? Maybe 1 in 20. And almost always those are the only ones who crow about how great they are.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are coming up on the decision for an extended warranty/service plan as well. Since I'm a DIYer and can pretty much fix anything while also not being a gambler, we will not be getting an extended warranty/service plan for our coming Dutch Star. However I will look into road side assistance either with RV insurance or separately.
For Fun: 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
DNies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNies View Post
We are coming up on the decision for an extended warranty/service plan as well. Since I'm a DIYer and can pretty much fix anything while also not being a gambler, we will not be getting an extended warranty/service plan for our coming Dutch Star. However I will look into road side assistance either with RV insurance or separately.
Don't know who you insure with, but hartford/aarp has a pretty decent towing plan that is included at no additional charge with rv coverage. We have 5 vehicles insured with them and about every 3-4 years shop around for auto/home coverage. Never found anyone who even comes close to beating them.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires