Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #1

Extended warranty

Does anyone purchase the extended warranty either from dealer or outside vendor?
Johnhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

If I had to guess based on the comments I've read over the past few years, about 25% will tell you it was worth it, and 75% would tell you to save your money and stash it away for the expected repairs.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we got ours from CW when we purchased our new ACE 2013...five years...unfortunately it started at the purchase date so we lost a year because it was under warranty from THOR
Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

There have been a number of threads about this in the forum. The search feature will find them. We are one of those that have an extended warentee from a dealer and it has more than paid for itself. We did not have a good history of the coach and wanted the insurance. We just got another one for 5 more years.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
No.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are coming to the end of our second 3 year warranty. Made money on the first one. Lost on the second. I have been putting money in a savings account entitled "Vehicle Maintenance" for our two cars and the 2002 Bounder 39Z DP. When this warranty expires next month, I will self-insure.
Taipan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Avoid Warrentech / Amtrust, administrators of the Good Sam ESP.

After the first claim was filed, the administrators were constantly "losing" any record of the claim (twice over about a 4 week period). This resulted in weeks of delay in which Camping World of New Braunfels Texas (CWNB) were of no help.

Warrentech / Amtrust have not honored the contract deductible amount, they are proficient at word-smithing statements of why the contract would not honor the repair of a component failure (the horn relay failure), they managed to dodge a bedroom ceiling repair caused by a failed A/C condensate pump. Water leaked into the ceiling which now requires replacement. The administrators 'did' honor the failed condensate pump, but not the "CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES". So if a covered component fails and wipes out a number of other systems/components, 'consequential damages' wording means they won't cover the other damages.
I could go on about how CWNB may have somehow caused the condensate pump to go out in the second A/C (both A/C's were blowing cold when the unit went in - no problems except for the condensate water drain in ONLY 1 OF the A/C's), how CWNB managed to burn out the 'control boards' in EACH of the A/C's and had to order replacements, how they managed to break both A/C shrouds in the repair process subsequently causing yet further delays and repairs, how they managed to create an electrical parasitic drain on the batteries during all this electrical work, which caused me to replace two 2-year old house batteries that they let run down during the June into September pick up date (you read that right - 4 months for a condensate pump replacement, horn relay, and galley light repair). During which time I left vmail and email for Mr. Marcus Lemonis, CEO of CW. Mr. Lemonis never responded to any communications nor did their Regional Manager.
There's more regarding the work that was paid for but not completed, but that's getting in to a lawsuit that is currently being prepared.

I'm now following up with complaints to CFPB and the Texas AG. Neither of which I suspect will support the "consumer".

So - avoid Warrentech / Amtrust and don't look for quality service from Camping World for anything more involved than maybe windshield wiper replacement or an oil change.

BTW while I was picking up my coach after 4 months, I listened to another couple complain about their 5 month wait for a torn awning repair. We exchanged phone numbers. I then returned home and decided to browse the web for Camping World complaints - hundreds of them. Class Action???
Dunromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #8

I found that the Good Sams extended warranty was worthless. In fact the Cummins dealer that did the work on my engine said they would never again do any work if it is a Good Sams Warranty. I finally got the Florida AG involved and they did a great job. You should know that one of Florida's clauses is that penalties may be enhanced in a claim involving a senior.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
we got ours from CW when we purchased our new ACE 2013...five years...unfortunately it started at the purchase date so we lost a year because it was under warranty from THOR
You didn't 'lose' anything - the price reflected their knowledge that they would pay out $0 in Year One. They just call it "5 years" to make it sound like a better value (lower dollars/year). That double-talk is standard for the service contract business. Same for a fridge or car or a/c unit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've bought policies for new or near-new rigs but never renew one after. Have had mixed results - one I had almost no claims on, while another was slightly to my advantage after 5 years. It's insurance, so it's a gamble and you don't always win. Once a rig gets several years old, the premiums get really high and difficult to justify, though of course the risk of a major repair expense is still there or maybe greater.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far I'm thousands ahead not buying a extended warranty. Would have been $9000+, spent 375 so far.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #12

The dealer offered us a extended warrenty for the low low price of $10000. So we waited until our 1 year warrenty was about to expire and got a 6 year extended warrenty from Wholesale Warrenty for les then half the price. Shop around for yourself and don't pay the dealer more then you have to.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty