Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Extended Warranty

I have a quote from Good Sam for what appears to be a fairly comprehensive policy to cover most all of my 2018 Newmar Bay Star for $1,700 per year.
Any opinions on Good Sam as a company to work with on claims ?
Any other companies strongly recommended ?
Thanks in advance.
Meg
megarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by megarmstrong View Post
I have a quote from Good Sam for what appears to be a fairly comprehensive policy to cover most all of my 2018 Newmar Bay Star for $1,700 per year.

Any opinions on Good Sam as a company to work with on claims ?

Thanks in advance.

Meg

Take the $1700 and put it in the bank to use for any and all (if) future repairs.
Good Sam is not an insurance company, they only act as "front" men for the actual insurance company. The actual insurance company is a joke and will lowball you if you ever have a claim, (ask me how I know!)
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #3

We’re happy with Coach-Net
Old 07-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

A few years back I had Good Sam Extended Warranty (GSEW) on my tow truck and 5th wheel. I do not remember how much I paid but I was ok with the price. My truck needed all new steering parts. The shop had to call GS to make sure it was covered, someone had to check it out. It was more of a hassle for the shop than for me. It ended up GS paid for all, that saved me over $2,000.00. For that reason I feel that was money well spent.

Now the unit if was purchased used and is reaching the end of GSEW coverage years. I did request a quote and it was way to much so I did not get it. I have had work done on my coach that would have been covered but the $'s would not have work out anyway.

The reason I got GSEW was I am not good about setting a sum of money way for the repair of my rig. but that's just me.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:23 AM   #5

This topic has been beat to death over the years. You will find some that are happy with the Extended Service Plans and get a sense of security with them. Others, like myself, would never waste my money on them. After dozens of discussions here, I doubt that many have changed the way they feel about them. For every satisfied customer, there are 10 who never got their premium back, but that's the way insurance works. It's a personal decision. What's your comfort level?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #6

An extended warranty is basically a health insurance plan for the RV and like most insurance it only saves you money if you have major problems. Keep in mind that insurance of any kind is sold for a profit and so the company must take in more money than they pay out, if you consider all sold versus all payouts. The key is to look at this in the same way that a business does. If you have enough money available to be able to pay for the very most expensive repair that you will conceivably have, then you should not buy insurance to cover it. On the other hand, if a major loss will cause you great financial harm or could be beyond your budget ability to repair, then you should buy insurance to cover it. I suggest that before you buy from Good Sam, do some price comparing with a place like Warranty Direct.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have never been a fan of extended warranties on RV's. I think that, in most cases, you would be better off putting that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used only for repairs. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #8

agreed , put you money in a FIX it acct and fix as you go.. I try to fix as much as i can , the few times i called on a tech to work on my rig , nothing different than any of of the youtubers videos out there , plus you save on parts and also save on the tech coming back and forth charging you an hr to see what part he needs and to go get it and back, of course there will be repairs that we cant do , hence the FIX it acct.. i got a quote for 2k per year on extended warranty, this year i probably spend 1k in repairs and most of it was for an aqua hot repair that i could of done , but i was out of town and DW needed the heat. my 2 cents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by retnasaguy View Post
Take the $1700 and put it in the bank to use for any and all (if) future repairs.
Good Sam is not an insurance company, they only act as "front" men for the actual insurance company. The actual insurance company is a joke and will lowball you if you ever have a claim, (ask me how I know!)
Cheers
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I would be shocked if a 2018 vintage gas-chassis coach needed $1700 worth of repairs every year. If you can afford to pay $1700/year, just use the money to pay for repairs as needed. Heck, $1700 ought to cover routine maintenance as well as any necessary repairs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by megarmstrong View Post
Thanks in advance.
Meg
Yes and I would recommend forming your own repair company.
Using theirs is gambling and the house usually wins.
You're betting on having a breakdown and they'e betting that you won't.
Besides that, they don't have to pay for the majority, even if you do have them.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty