Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
With that list of exclusions, I wonder how long the list of covered items is????
Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (29).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	680.4 KB
ID:	296000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (30).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	587.2 KB
ID:	296001  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
look at the list of what is included
I did (just posted it here) but its still confusing and vague as to what might be covered or not.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Example of an extended service brochure

Look under Ultimate Coverage for an explanation of Limitations
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MotorHomeESCBrochure.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	617.9 KB
ID:	296023  
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:17 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU2MT View Post
..... I'm buying a 2010 Tour from a dealer and they offer an extended warranty for around 7k for 5 years. Would you get it? Its full coverage with a $100 deductible......
I bought a four year service contract on my ‘02 Dutch Star when I bought it in 2012. Price for 4 years was $4700. (About $1175 p/a). Your first words from the dealer would cost about $1400p/a, so prices have gone up a bit. My contract paid for itself almost three times over. You should shop for better rates at any reputable agency. Wholesale Warrantees is one
My question to self at that time was: you now own a 10 y/o motorhome on a 10 y/o chassis, full of 10 y/o appliances. What are the chances that in the next five years NOTHING will break?
If you buy a contract, make sure it is an “Exclusionary” contract. Should be clearly described as such. This means that the opening premise of the underwriter is that they will pay for any failure, bumper to bumper, except these thing that we have explicitly excluded. An “Inclusionary” contract is opposite. They will ONLY pay for the specific failures they have enumerated. Also, try to get a feature called “Consequential Damage”. It will shift some advantage from the house over to the customer. CD is an add on, and you’ll likely have to pay extra for it. Worth it, usually.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #47

Dutchstar411, big picture kind of guy, heh? LOL
lynjohnson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I bought a four year service contract on my ‘02 Dutch Star when I bought it in 2012. Price for 4 years was $4700. (About $1175 p/a). Your first words from the dealer would cost about $1400p/a, so prices have gone up a bit. My contract paid for itself almost three times over. You should shop for better rates at any reputable agency. Wholesale Warrantees is one
My question to self at that time was: you now own a 10 y/o motorhome on a 10 y/o chassis, full of 10 y/o appliances. What are the chances that in the next five years NOTHING will break?
If you buy a contract, make sure it is an “Exclusionary” contract. Should be clearly described as such. This means that the opening premise of the underwriter is that they will pay for any failure, bumper to bumper, except these thing that we have explicitly excluded. An “Inclusionary” contract is opposite. They will ONLY pay for the specific failures they have enumerated. Also, try to get a feature called “Consequential Damage”. It will shift some advantage from the house over to the customer. CD is an add on, and you’ll likely have to pay extra for it. Worth it, usually.
this is what they do not cover...i just find it vague. I feel like it could almost exclude a lot of stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (31).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	296111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (32).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	296112  

Old 08-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #49

Quote:
First, I used the search feature...nothing came up so maybe i'm doing it wrong. Now for my question. I'm buying a 2010 Tour from a dealer and they offer an extended warranty for around 7k for 5 years. Would you get it? Its full coverage with a $100 deductible.

thanks!
We had a similar offer when we bought our 2018 Ventana. Shopped around and found one through CoachNet. Theirs was a year longer and $1,000 cheaper. Be sure to carefully compare exclusions when you compare policies. For example, does "full coverage" include seals? Must you produce maintenance records in event of a claim? Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples and not just deciding based on price.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #50

Before you sign on the dotted line — read the warranty especially small print,
I had an extended warranty on my 09 Winnebago Vectra - twice I had issues that warranty did not cover.
jrtgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #51

Exclamation Covers about half cost

I was sold a warranty by GWC. It was supposed to cover everything covered by factory warranty. When i had to use it they paid half the labor and only the wholesale price on the parts. I ended up paying the rest.
dfhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #52

Extended Warranty

We paid $4k for 4 years. $200 deductible. Looks very complete to me. Have used it twice with no problem. Bought through dealer. Probably would have saved $$ if we bought direct. Policy is with US Warranty.

Car service policy is with Ideal Auto Care. 2013 VW EOS, 4 year, $1800. Have not used it yet. Policy is very complete. They get good reviews. Don't know if they write for RV's.

Andrew
2004 National Dolphin LX 6355
Andrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #53

Quote:
First, I used the search feature...nothing came up so maybe i'm doing it wrong. Now for my question. I'm buying a 2010 Tour from a dealer and they offer an extended warranty for around 7k for 5 years. Would you get it? Its full coverage with a $100 deductible.

thanks!
Don’t mean to insult you or make your happy place of buying an RV a bad decision, but, I would never buy another Thor. This is coming from the very very bad experience I had with their product. Thor fixed everything ever time we had an issue, especially after I hired a lawyer, they even extended my warranty for an extra 6 months, but the repairs were endless EVERY TIME WE USED IT!

So long answer short, I would strongly consider an extended warranty when buying a Thor. But make sure its the right warranty!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #54

Big dealer profit center.

Dealers love to sell these, big bucks. You will spend more time and stress trying to get them to pay for something and finding somebody to do the work under the warranty than it is worth. My opinion. We have been on the move full time for eight years and use mobile RV repair people as much as possible. When absolutely necessary we have used Freightliner and Cummins dealers but have had better results with independent truck repair facilities. I would just pay as you go and avoid tying up your rig for repairs at places that could care less about your warranty.
JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #55

Warranty

Check the price comparrison with Wholesale Warranties. They have been fair with me and there price is very competitive.
joelwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #56

Quote:

thanks!
I b personally don’t believe in them. My son and I both bought new trucks in 2006 both with extended warranty. His transmission went out in CO and we had to pay it ourselves. On the same trip my EGR failed fortunately it was under factory warranty.

I have looked at the extended warranty on my past three coaches and could not justify the cost. So for I’m still ahead. That said probably the biggest issue you have in your future is if you have emission component failure. If thus is not covered I definitely would not consider. The 2008-2011 emission systems were none to be problematic. Not saying everyone has issues with them but my experience in owning a fleet of trucks those were some of the worst problems we deal with.

As stated by others read the contract carefully to see what is and what is not covered. Then be cautious of who you can have make the repairs. When on the road you don’t always have reasonable options on where you can take it for repairs. A lot of these policies require pre-approval and an estimated repair cost. If they run into a new issue that wasn’t for seen in the initial diagnosis then everything stops and a new estimate and approval process begins. I would beware of fine print too. Good luck!

Tags
warranty