Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #15

The warranty I almost bought covered everything except the exhaust system. Didn't seem like a big deal, how much can a pipe and muffler cost? It turned out that the "exhaust system" included the entire emission control system, including sensors, dpf and basically everything after the turbo including electronic controls.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #16

If extended warranties were advantageous to the buyer then the seller would lose money and go out of business. Simple economics 101 logic.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If extended warranties were advantageous to the buyer then the seller would lose money and go out of business. Simple economics 101 logic.
That is very true. But we still have homeowner insurance, car and RV insurance. Life insurance... etc, etc, etc. Never used my homeowner insurance, close to $5,000 a year. Have my house for 22 years... get the picture. They are the largest money making companies out there.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #18

Another item to consider is who does the work? It is unlikely that your Tour will break within a few miles of the dealer which means it may have to be fixed a thousand miles away. Does the warranty want you to use their in network mechanics?

If it doesn't cover wear and tear items, what does it cover? Isn't everything on a 10 year old RV a wear item? Does it cover a leak that you cant get too? What if the washing machine goes? How about the inverter? Roadside assistance? Cracks in the windshield? Windshield leaks that appear only when driving? Turbos that go because the RV sat all winter?

I usually plan an extra 10% on top of total costs (including sales tax) for all the little bugs I will find and to make it "mine". Examples would be decor and something missed like headlight alignment.

Sometimes fighting the people to fix it is more work than fixing it yourself.

These aren't Honda Accords that you buy, change the oil and run up to 175,000 miles before they need anything substantial. You have to be handy on the road.

There are also 2 networks to get things done. One is the dealer network. Think all retail. Another is the trucker network. Think "doesn't want to work on RV's" but can be WAY less than dealer.

I found a Cummins certified truck mechanic that does side jobs. BINGO for the engine. But he doesn't want to work on the "house" of course. I had a headlight issue that it was quicker for me to call Spartan (excellent service) and repair myself than have a mechanic do it.

my 3 cents. Dont be afraid - Just learn, learn and learn.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
This past week has been a doozy for me - had a fan clutch go out ($4,134.17) followed by a fridge ($2,856.24) which cratered while sitting in shop for fan clutch repair....

I’m blessed to have a fantastic extended warranty thru CoachNet.... They lumped the two claims together so I’d only have to pay one deductible and covered them both.....

I took out a 5 year policy in 2018 with them.... Within 6 months I lost my main engine turbo ($9,400).... They covered it with no hesitation.....

I can’t imagine having an “emergency fund” large enough to take care of both these issues.....

I paid a % down and pay a reasonable monthly payment.... The entire policy amount comes no where close to what they’ve already covered and I have 3 more years of coverage....

Oh - did I mention that they provide roadside assistance at no additional charge!!!!

To say I’m a fan of extended warranties would be an understatement!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #20

Remember that for every ernest917's results, there are 10 or more John Doe's that don't get close to their premium back.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Remember that for every ernest917's results, there are 10 or more John Doe's that don't get close to their premium back.
Exactly. Look at the BBB ratings for many of these extended warranty companies.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Warranty

I’m going to jump in here. I’ve already made the decision to get an extended warranty, so I don’t need any advice on “should/should not”. I’m comparing companies - Wholesale Warranty has lots of positive comments. RVing Solutions is priced Significantly better - does anyone have experience with that company? I know the dealer will be selling CoachNet when I pick up my new RV, so I’d appreciate any input on that company, as well.

Thank you!
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #23

Call Wholesale Warranties they’ve been great for us. At least you’ll have a good comparison
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
Call Wholesale Warranties they’ve been great for us. At least you’ll have a good comparison
Thank you. I have a quote from WW and RVing Solutions. They look almost identical. RVing Solutions is substantially less money. I’m just looking for some reviews of RVing Solutions.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceJam View Post
Thank you. I have a quote from WW and RVing Solutions. They look almost identical. RVing Solutions is substantially less money. I’m just looking for some reviews of RVing Solutions.
So what did the fine print say in your quote? whats not covered??

thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #26

If they can find a reason to not cover a failure, they will. We did get a extended service plan. We have gotten our money back and still have a year to go. It has not been a great experience. The guy approving the claim can come up with some really strange reasons for not covering something. One little thing in the fine print is they will not cover non-factory repair parts. In other words say something fails that is no longer made, they will not cover a fix or retrofit of a part. Just depends on the adjuster. For a 2010 Tour, I'm guessing you are talking about a Winnie Tour? They quit making them, so?? Let me give you an example from a Grand Tour. Mirror fell off the wall and broke. That mirror is not in stock and had to be special made. An insurance company may cover the fix, or they may not. You will not know until you make a claim. As to seals, if a slide seal in not mentioned as covered they will consider it a weather seal and will not cover it.
We had almost no records when we bought our coach, but it was exactly what we were looking for, so we got the insurance. We paid $6k for a 3 year, unlimited mileage and zero deductible for a full coverage plan that was exclusionary, meaning they had to list what it did not cover. We had a connector on the generator fail, should have been covered, but the adjuster claimed it was a "broken wire which they do not cover", really ???? So I can take it to arbitration, but what a pain. Just be prepared.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
If they can find a reason to not cover a failure, they will. We did get a extended service plan. We have gotten our money back and still have a year to go. It has not been a great experience. The guy approving the claim can come up with some really strange reasons for not covering something. One little thing in the fine print is they will not cover non-factory repair parts. In other words say something fails that is no longer made, they will not cover a fix or retrofit of a part. Just depends on the adjuster. For a 2010 Tour, I'm guessing you are talking about a Winnie Tour? They quit making them, so?? Let me give you an example from a Grand Tour. Mirror fell off the wall and broke. That mirror is not in stock and had to be special made. An insurance company may cover the fix, or they may not. You will not know until you make a claim. As to seals, if a slide seal in not mentioned as covered they will consider it a weather seal and will not cover it.
We had almost no records when we bought our coach, but it was exactly what we were looking for, so we got the insurance. We paid $6k for a 3 year, unlimited mileage and zero deductible for a full coverage plan that was exclusionary, meaning they had to list what it did not cover. We had a connector on the generator fail, should have been covered, but the adjuster claimed it was a "broken wire which they do not cover", really ???? So I can take it to arbitration, but what a pain. Just be prepared.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV

good info, thanks for the help!
Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Be sure to read what is not covered. I have a 4 year "bumper to bumper" warrant that includes "all engine parts". (The rep said that is only marketing and the contract is what counts).

Just found out last week the the EGR cooler has a leak, estimate around $3700 (CAD) or if the DPF is affected closer to $8K. Guess what, EGR and DPF are not part of the engine according to the warranty company.

They are part of the emission system and not covered.

So read the exclusions carefully.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty