Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #57

The industry is rather interesting when you have friends in the business. 12% is the magic number. The policies on average pay out 12% of the costs back to the purchaser. You are in most every case to take what your premium would be and put that in a maintenance account.

Like everything some people have made out handsomely by have one but they are the rarest of people.
Scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU2MT View Post
First, I used the search feature...nothing came up so maybe i'm doing it wrong. Now for my question. I'm buying a 2010 Tour from a dealer and they offer an extended warranty for around 7k for 5 years. Would you get it? Its full coverage with a $100 deductible.

thanks!

No. But you might want to. The reason to get a warranty is that you will not be able to easily pay cash for repairs.

As others have pointed out, like all insurance the policies are priced so that on average the seller will come out ahead. But if you have to put repairs on a credit card and pay them off over time with interest you may come out ahead on average as well.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:54 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
This issue has been beat to death over and over again. You are going to have those that prefer to save the money instead of purchasing an extended warranty (service contract). Some people do not have the discipline to put money away on a monthly basis for future motorhome only expenses.

Me personally, I like having a service contract and peace of mind knowing that most issues will be fixed under the contract. If you go the service contract route, keep the following in mind:

1. Shop around
2. Find the right service contract for you
3. Look carefully at what is covered and what is not

Personally, I like XtraRide from Protective and I purchased my contract through Eagle Vision RV. They were at least $1500 cheaper than my dealership. In fact, my dealership tried to sell me a different service contract, but my mechanic recommended I stay with XtraRide because they were easier to work with.

Good luck with your decision.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Extended warranty

Quote:
I doubt you can get a warranty on a 15 year old DP. They had to make sure the one i'm getting was still eligible. I told them i wasn't buying anything that old without a full warranty and they made it sound like everything was covered. I guess we will see on Monday. thanks for the feedback!
I have never been big fan of EW. But when we bought our first class A a 11 years old DP. Purchased 5 year service contract around $6k with $500 deductible which also included roadside assistance and towing. No regrets, I paid for itself plus. We used the roadside service twice both times over 60 miles to service center. Once while In Canada on our way to Alaska. Around 60 miles outside of Calgary on Sunday afternoon. Started losing power then check engine light came on. Didn’t want to take any chances were towed to freight liner service center. Long story short, it was fuel system issue after 5 days $5.5k (Canadian dollars), $1200 lodging which was all covered expenses except for my $500 deductible. My plan included $250/day for lodging and meals. This was just one of my claims. With $500 deductible I always waited on all my none emergency covered services. As an example just before taking off for Alaska I had a list, microwave, refrigerator and roof AC unit all covered repaired with one deductible. And BTW we were very happy with their our plan purchased the same plan for our 7 year old coach.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #61

Hello we just bought a used coach and added an extended warranty from Eagle Vision Rv in south Georgia (that is not who we bought the coach from) it was in the 5700.00 range 100.00 ded. (less if paid for up front) for an exclusionary contract the only type you would want if you are going to get one.
smikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #62

I had a great warranty everything was covered with $100 deductible. Until the MH went in the shop. Every repair had to be approved which took on average 3 weeks. They would come back with that is not covered or the cost exceeds their estimated cost and would only pay their estimate.
The diesel blew up and was unrepairable $21000. They tried to find a Junkyard motor that was not available. Then they supplied a short block and expected me to pay the cost of using the parts off the old engine which was contaminated from the particles of metal in the oil. They finally came to the party with $12000 after 4 months.
If you look on the internet you will find a dozen names for parts installed on the chassis and coaches. One example is a Engine Control Module or ECU. Some call it Computer Fuel Meter and so on. The contract said they do not cover emissions controls so that included the ECU but the contract said it covered all electronics. Well that was another 3 months.
I could go on but you get the point. If you think a contract is for you talk to not just the Dealer your buying from but to other repair shops in your area.
I have found shops that refuse to work on MH that have contracts with certain companies.
2flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #63

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
In general these kinds of policies are not worth it. But then - should a serious problem arise you may be glad you have it. But before signing up for it -

* Shop around for other policies, as they are offered by many companies. You do not have to just take the one offered by the dealer.
* At many dealers they make more on selling these policies than on selling the RV. In other words - you can negotiate down the actual cost to you as there is lots of dealer margin built into the cost of the policy.
* As others have noted - understand what the actual coverage includes / excludes. Your most expensive repairs are going to be engine/transmission/ chassis related, so make sure those areas are included. What about bodywork? Is something like delamination covered?
* Do you get a pro-rated refund on your 5 year coverage if your unit is stolen or totaled in year 1? You should.
* Is the coverage transferable to the new owner if you sell the unit within your 5 year coverage period? (It should be)
* Are there required specifics about who or where repairs have to be made? Do they have to be done by an authorized dealer only? By the selling dealer? (A big problem if you travel around anywhere else in the country)

In other words - you are buying a competitive product, so you can shop around to compare prices and coverages. And for such an expensive product you need to fully understand exactly what is covered and what is not.

Good luck!
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #64

Chassis only ESP?

Its too bad you can't get an ESP just for the chassis and windshield. If something in the drive train or chassis electrical fails, you might not get home. Most things that fail in the "house" part I've already done myself for less that the deductible cost, and although a nuisance wouldn't stop me from getting home.
Rocket Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Don't buy until just b4 your factory warranty runs out or you're wasting a year. Plus the dealer inflates the price.

I'm 50/50 on ESP. Bought one from Good Sam on a monthly basis, that way as soon as they balk I quit. But I used it with no proplem.

Bought one from Ford after dealer warranty ran out. Paid a little under 3K for 7 years 150,000 miles. it expires at the end of August & I just used it when the turbo blew up.
Ford paid all but $50.00 & replaced the body bushings (have to lift cab) which were covered. Bill was close to 10K.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #66

Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

You will get variety of responses on that. Some will say it's best to self insure and just put the money back. However, with a ten year old coach, 7k is not that bad for five years of coverage. The main thing to check is the exclusions and what the insurance will cover and what it wont. These are not really warranties, but insurance.

Save some premium and get a higher deductible.
Also check with your repair facility to see who they recommend.
Filete
MacySun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My used coach came with a Good Sam extended service contract. The seller even paid the transfer fee. Water & leaks are excluded. A faulty slide out seal installation allowed water to eventually penetrate & trash a slide out motor. I knew that wouldn't be covered so I repaired it myself.

I had 3 other problems so I took it to Camping World. $50 deductible, what have I got to lose? Right? I might get something fixed and it will only cost me $50. Yea, right. $376 later in "diagnostic fees" nothing was fixed. Water pressure was goofy so I adjusted the pump but was concerned about the pressure. I think the tech turned on a faucet and felt the pressure was ok. $70. The back up camera doesn't work. They said the cable jack inside the display was faulty. I had already suspected that. The display is the GPS/navigation unit. Not considered part of the coach so not covered. $135. The hydraulic level system doesn't work properly except it seemed to work ok in their dead level garage. They ignored what I told them and all but told me it was operator error. Very insulting. Another $135. The rest was tax, shop fees, etc. Of course, it didn't work as soon as I got back home on my less than level driveway.

I'm close to a diagnosis on the leveling system and will go back to them to get it fixed. If they try to charge me another diagnostic fee, I'll fight it. I also will ask if the other fee can be applied to a new GPS unit.

Not that I want to discourage you but you need to understand that there are limitations. I have them on both my pick-up and minivan.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:22 AM   #68

Quote:
I guess i need to try and make sense of all this. They sent me the fine print of the extended warranty. Its through a company called Portfolio.
After enlarging this and reading the page, I'm wondering what they DO cover. From what the posters have been reporting, the troubles they have had are all the things that are excluded in part in this exclusion page. Be sure to read it with a magnifying glass and be sure you understand the legalities of what they are saying. There is a lot of language in there that I wouldn't think boded well for common repairs on a ten year old coach.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased Extraride service contract on my current coach same as my previous one. I found their contact to be very clear on what services are included and what is not. I have had no issues with my claims and have filed a few of them. I have platinum coverage which includes roadside assistance, mobile service calls and lodging & meals up to 5 nights while traveling and waiting for covered repairs.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #70

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Extended Warranties

Who ever you decide on make sure they Administer their own Policy.
Absolutely, no third party administrators!!!

Exclusions are a back breaker. For example, Good Sam does not cover Radiators or Jake Brakes.

After much research I chose Protective Asset Protective aka XtraRide.
Should sell your coach before warranty is used up, they will give a full refund
for the period not used.

Bob Thatcher
In between Coaches
2013 Ambassador 36
bobacehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty