Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #1

Extended warranty

First, I used the search feature...nothing came up so maybe i'm doing it wrong. Now for my question. I'm buying a 2010 Tour from a dealer and they offer an extended warranty for around 7k for 5 years. Would you get it? Its full coverage with a $100 deductible.

thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

You will get variety of responses on that. Some will say it's best to self insure and just put the money back. However, with a ten year old coach, 7k is not that bad for five years of coverage. The main thing to check is the exclusions and what the insurance will cover and what it wont. These are not really warranties, but insurance.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

Agree wit LT Dan, lot of exclusions in many policies, read them carefully. Bought a 2014 MB bluetec, and it did not cover the exhaust system, where most of the problems in that year occurred.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
First off, Welcome to IRV2!

You will get variety of responses on that. Some will say it's best to self insure and just put the money back. However, with a ten year old coach, 7k is not that bad for five years of coverage. The main thing to check is the exclusions and what the insurance will cover and what it wont. These are not really warranties, but insurance.
thanks... i figured (and hoped) i'd get a few different opinions! Ill have them give me the info on the exclusions Monday.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:00 AM   #5

On a 10 year old coach the cost will either be outrageous or the coverage will be minimal. The cost seems plenty outrageous (to be fair I really don't have anything to compare to). Read the exclusions and be ready for fine print to get them out of covering anything and everything.

This being said, I'm pro-warranty for my vehicles. I currently own 5 cars/SUVs between my household and company (don't get too excited - most are cheap run-around type things) and I tend to get extended warranties (legally, referred to as "service contracts) so I can keep them longer and not have unexpected large costs.

The difference is vehicle warranties are from the manufacturer and cover essentially everything. The warranty on a 10 year old RV is just a whole different thing.

Even with my pro-warranty opinion, on the +/- 15 year old diesel pushers I'm looking at I'm very unlikely to get a warranty (is there even one on a 15 years old DP?). These things are just a roll of the dice and at some point you have to take a chance.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
On a 10 year old coach the cost will either be outrageous or the coverage will be minimal. The cost seems plenty outrageous (to be fair I really don't have anything to compare to). Read the exclusions and be ready for fine print to get them out of covering anything and everything.

This being said, I'm pro-warranty for my vehicles. I currently own 5 cars/SUVs between my household and company (don't get too excited - most are cheap run-around type things) and I tend to get extended warranties (legally, referred to as "service contracts) so I can keep them longer and not have unexpected large costs.

The difference is vehicle warranties are from the manufacturer and cover essentially everything. The warranty on a 10 year old RV is just a whole different thing.

Even with my pro-warranty opinion, on the +/- 15 year old diesel pushers I'm looking at I'm very unlikely to get a warranty (is there even one on a 15 years old DP?). These things are just a roll of the dice and at some point you have to take a chance.
I doubt you can get a warranty on a 15 year old DP. They had to make sure the one i'm getting was still eligible. I told them i wasn't buying anything that old without a full warranty and they made it sound like everything was covered. I guess we will see on Monday. thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Compass ESP on my 2011 Ellipse. It cost me around 3 grand; $100.00 deductible; covers everything except furnishings inside and is spelled out very clearly in the policy.

Had one on previous DP for 2 years and it paid for itself many times over.

As has already been mentioned - in your year there seems to be more posts concerning the exhaust system failure. If it hasn't had a problem by now I wouldn't worry too much however, exhaust do wear out and the ESP won't pay for normal wear and tear.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #8

I'm one of the ones who has never had an ESP and was never sorry that I didn't. After 25 years and seven coaches, I still have unspent premium money in my checkbook. The dealer would love to sell it to you. He gets a hefty chunk of that $7,000 just for getting you to write the check. ESP's are a big profit center for the dealer and issuing company. It is an insurance policy, although an expensive one, usually with a lot of fine print and requirements for the owner to follow, but if one feels more comfortable with it, buy it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I have the Compass ESP on my 2011 Ellipse. It cost me around 3 grand; $100.00 deductible; covers everything except furnishings inside and is spelled out very clearly in the policy.

Had one on previous DP for 2 years and it paid for itself many times over.

As has already been mentioned - in your year there seems to be more posts concerning the exhaust system failure. If it hasn't had a problem by now I wouldn't worry too much however, exhaust do wear out and the ESP won't pay for normal wear and tear.

Best wishes - Richard
What exactly is a exhaust system failure. I keep using the search feature and not finding anything. Was that a common problem in the 2010 Tours? Also when it says furnishing did that include appliances in your unit?
thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never been a fan of extended warranties on RV's. I think that in most cases you will be better off putting theat $7K into a special bank account to be used only for repairs. I bet at the end of 10 years you will still have money left in the account! Dealers make a huge profit on extended warranties! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU2MT View Post
I doubt you can get a warranty on a 15 year old DP. They had to make sure the one i'm getting was still eligible. I told them i wasn't buying anything that old without a full warranty and they made it sound like everything was covered. I guess we will see on Monday. thanks for the feedback!
Most important would be EVERYTHING is included including Seals and Gaskets. Get the brochure on their Extended Warranty and check with any local service centers that you plan on taking your coach to and ask if they have dealt with that Extended Policy company and their opinion on them. Normal maintenance items are usually NOT covered which is normal, including exhaust items. But an exception would be your exhaust brake or engine exhaust manifold. You will use it during your five years of ownership guaranteed, how much only time will tell. I had a five year on my 02 DSDP which I purchased in 2006, 4 yeas old, and cost $6,000. That company paid out $7,000 plus so I did save a grand. But the most important was piece of mind during those 5 years which you can't put a price tag on.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Use the dark green box at the top right that says "Powered by Google" for all your searches, unless you are searching for one of your previous posts!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Use the dark green box at the top right that says "Powered by Google" for all your searches, unless you are searching for one of your previous posts!
Ohhh...i was using the forum search feature, not the Google one. Ill have a look. thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #14

One of the sleazy aftermarket tactics is to hide little exclusions like not covering, "electronic failures of mechanical parts...." Then, curiously when you try to make a claim on a blown tranny (for example) the shop conveniently states that the failure was something electronic that caused the mechanical failure.

I don't have direct experience with this on an RV but saw this exact thing play out on a friend's truck.

I've often suspected the shops get kickbacks and/or work funneled to them from the warranty companies (watch for specific lists of where you MUST take the coach).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty