Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

Extended Warranty

Who of you Class A owners has an extended warranty? I am considering one...but leary of anything associated with GS due to the decline of it being an actual RV club as in the past. Any recommendations and contact links will be appreciated.
ThorAce2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorAce2015 View Post
Who of you Class A owners has an extended warranty? I am considering one...but leary of anything associated with GS due to the decline of it being an actual RV club as in the past. Any recommendations and contact links will be appreciated.
We do have the Good Sam extended warranty, but we have our work done at an independent repair shop that accepts it. We've had several things fixed under the warranty, and they've covered some stuff I didn't really expect. A toilet seal started leaking, for instance, and they replaced the whole danged toilet.

If I were going to buy an extended warranty I'd find the independent repair shops in the area and ask them who gives the the most trouble and who is the best about covering repairs.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #3

Until our MH got too old we carried an GS Extended Service Contract, by law it is not a warranty.
When we bought this MH it had been stored in a barn for 8 years so we expected things to fail as we used them.
We read the contract fine print closely before making the purchase and signing the contract so we would know what we were buying.
Every claim we submitted was honored for that reason. No clams were made on the chassis portion, only the coach portion.
At the end of the first contract period claims more than paid for the purchase price. No claims were submitted on subsequent contracts.

Another ESC to investigate is Wholesalewarranties.com, they have a very good reputation too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Ray,IN;5956041] At the end of the first contract period claims more than paid for the purchase price. No claims were submitted on subsequent contracts.[Quote]

I have never purchased or been a fan of ESC. Out of curiosity, How much did the ESC's cost compared to what you received in Claims? The reason ESC are such a big profit center for the dealers and company is that the take in far more in premiums than they pay out in claims. However, peace of mind is worth the cost to many.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We purchased a five year extended warranty when we purchased our 2020 FR3 30DS. All of the issues we encountered in the first year were fixed at the dealer under the FR warranty. So in the second year we were in Texas and had water issues with the kitchen sink, toilet and water heater. The closest place that would honor the warranty was nearly 100 miles away. We would have had to take the FR3 to that dealer and possibly stay in a motel while the repairs were done. The was a local mobile RV tech that would come to our CG but unfortunately he only worked for cash and wouldn’t work with the warranty company. So our choice was to go with the Mobile RV tech. The repairs cost $400 and when we returned home I submitted all invoices to the warranty company but they declined to reimburse us for the repairs. We chose the most convenient route to get our RV fixed and it cost us $400. I have no doubt that the dealer we purchased from would honor the extended warranty. However, when we are traveling (which is when most problems occur) we won’t be able to rely on the dealer we purchased from.
We’re working on backing out of the warranty agreement and getting the amount of years left returned. We’ll put that into an account for repairs.
When purchasing a new RV there is intense pressure to purchase the extended warranty from the sales person. A new RV is covered under the manufacturer’s warranty for one year in most cases. Wait until the end of the first year to consider an extended warranty.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Crasher;5956116][QUOTE=Ray,IN;5956041] At the end of the first contract period claims more than paid for the purchase price. No claims were submitted on subsequent contracts.
Quote:

I have never purchased or been a fan of ESC. Out of curiosity, How much did the ESC's cost compared to what you received in Claims? The reason ESC are such a big profit center for the dealers and company is that the take in far more in premiums than they pay out in claims. However, peace of mind is worth the cost to many.
The total claims paid was more than the premium and deductibles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Never liked extended warranties. Don't want to ask permission to fix whats broken.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

Update: Wholesale Warranties does not cover vehicles in California. ��
ThorAce2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

There are lots of "bewares" re extended warranties, but sometimes they have their place. Whether or not to buy one has been debated ad nauseum and a search will turn up numerous pros and cons.

However your question seems to be more about buying thru GS than the wisdom of buying an extended warranty. If you don't trust GS (I don't either), buy some other service plan. A broker such as Wholesale Warranties can find other sources. Another is America's RV Warranty. Or get a quote from a full service dealer such as Lazydays - you don't have to buy an RV there to get their financial and insurance services. Or direct from a major insurer company such as Cornerstone.

GS hasn't been mostly an RV club in a couple decades.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Never liked extended warranties. Don't want to ask permission to fix whats broken.
Along with the high cost and the real risk of not needing that many repairs comes the very real hassle and delays of getting things fixed when you want, where you want and by who you want.

"Sorry, that's not covered" or "You can't use that shop" or "We can't get your RV fixed until we hear from the service contract company." No recourse, it's up to the same people that are only working to make a profit by rejecting your repair.

We passed on Wholesale Warranty's 5-year $4,800 warranty offer back in July 2017 - with 9 months to go until my 5-years would have been up we've spent less than $2,300 and I doubt all of that would have been covered and of course there would have been a deductible, too.

It's a gamble. If you have a lot of claims they lose. If you have few claims they win. The only way they stay in business is by winning more than they lose. Even if they rig the game by rejecting claims outright and writing contracts that let them do so more often.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My dealer wanted $9200 for a 6year service contract, many parts already covered. NO!
So for I've spent less than $1200. Didn't waste time asking, finding a reputable shop, paying a deductible, driving it there many times and going back to pick it up weeks, months later. They are a rip off.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Those companies leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying your claims! I know some folks have benefited from them, but I think they are in the minority! I would put that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used only for repairs. I'm betting you will have lots of money left at the end of what would have been your warranty expiration date! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
....Those companies leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying your claims! I know some folks have benefited from them, but I think they are in the minority!....
Same here. Plus if you are on the road the problem becomes worse. You are virtually guaranteed a delay as you try to find an "authorized" repair facility and debate over what the company will and will not pay for.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty