Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Companys

I am possibly thinkin of acquiring extended warranty, Does anyone have recommendations here. Thanks

ROLLY 2006 Camelot
Rolly Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #2

Take time to check out their past performance. Lots of complaints about the companies refusing to honor the waurantee, they look for an out. If you go that route keep good records of all your maintenance and make sure you adhere to the schedules. I heard of one case where a transmission claim was denied because the engine oil was not changed per schedule. If you are handy, know your rig and it's systems, and take care of it you will probably save money by not buying the policy. On the other hand, an unanticipated major problem can happen and be very expensive. It is a gamble but I generally refuse extended waurantees on everthing I buy.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you're going to purchase one, what I learned from a seminar I attended at an RV rally is to know the difference between an inclusionary vs exclusionary policy.
  • Exclusionary=everything that isn't covered is specifically listed in the policy terms
  • Inclusionary=only what's specifically listed in the policy terms is what's covered

You want the most things possible covered if you're going to be paying what are usually the rather high priced premiums on these things.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never had a claim denied on my Interstate Star policy.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I posted a thread recently about this topic for advise... After which, I've talked to several warranty companies. I found that to get what everyone in here tells me I should have, will cost me a small fortune. So now I have to weigh budget against coverage, deductibles, and which company has the best customer satisfaction rating... I am a little frustrated at what I'm not getting for a lot of money out of pocket. I was also told I could negotiate... which I pride myself on being pretty good at... and so far haven't had any luck there either. If you're willing to shell a minimum of $1000 a year out of pocket, you can get some decent coverage... Not total... Decent. Best advise i can give is to try to get consequential damage coverage included.... That is when a part that is covered, damages a part that is not covered and visa versa. Also, I found out that some companies actually want to inspect your coach and others do not. The ones that do, may actually be a little lower, but will not cover a condition until it is fixed with your money....
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

uusually a self insurer

Thanks for the input, I have in the past with my vehicles been a self insurer and have denied the extra coverage. I am a fanatic when it comes to servicing and doin manintaninance on schedule so have also as some rely on that. I have a hard time justifying $2400. to $3200 a year as Good Sam just sent me yesterday. I have just purchaed the coach with 34,000 miles and am in fact spending $6000. bringing everything and I mean everthing up to AAAA par inside and out. Rolly
Rolly Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

For me, I would not own a used coach without one. You can easily rack up a $3000 bill in one incident not to mention a 500 or $600 tow. Over a 4 year contract Mine has already paid for itself. The last bill - last week $2200 plus the tow.
I have Cornerstone and they have paid each claim without any fighting!
Good luck in Retirement and travels.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 2010 Cornerstone that I purchased used a few months ago and it came with an extended warranty from Interstate. I have used it a few times already and they paid. Now I am going in tomorrow for more service with many more problems so I am glad I have the warranty.
Rclukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We are going to get a warranty for our used coach as soon as we take delivery. We don't know exactly which yet, still getting our quotes.

These coaches just have such expensive items in them and are so costly to fix. I do however think that as small issues so up, you have to try to save them up to get everything done at once as this is considered one event even if 15 issues need to be fixed. Unless of course a major event shows up at which time this would need to be fixed right away.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #10

I had a tire failure the second day I owned my coach. Got a nail in it on way home from purchase. Good SAMs had a repair vehicle at my location in less than one hour and called me back to make sure repair was completed and all was well. I like the security of the warranty especially since I travel with my kids.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
130.00 a month for Good Sam on our 2005 Dolphin 5376. There is very little it doesn't cover. Claimed twice without a complaint.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #12

Some of the above posts seem to be using their extended warranty to provide emergency roadside service. The best provider of ERS is generally taken to be Coach-net: https://www.coach-net.com/Secured/Me...tToSecure=true and their coverage is $120/year. So if OP chooses to not purchase an EW, I list this as the best way to cover yourself on the road. I've used their towing option several times. Very happy with their policy and help.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Geiko insurance policy includes towing for both the RV and The Jeep at no extra charge. Could of added it to GS for a few bucks a month extra.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I recently got an offer from GS for Roadside Assistance at $79.95 for the first year. Perhaps this is just for new members, but Coach Net is twice that.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote