RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Extended Warranty - Just a hassle?

I've been all over the whole Get and Extended Warranty or Don't get and Extended Warranty issue in all the forums.

I've owned 3-travel trailers, a Class C MH and now a soon to be 1-year old Class A Gas MH. I"ve never had an extended warranty.

I know it's just "insurance" and that if it was really a must have item that would pay for itself then the insurance companies would all just go out of business. So, it's like gambling in Vegas and as per usual the HOUSE has the odds in their favor.

I didn't even let the dealer tell me about their Warranty options. It seems that in general dealer sold warranties are over priced and not that good. The warranty you bought at your dealer excepted, of course.

I did contact Winnebago's extended warranty dept (just rebranded CoachNet's Extended Warranty product) and Wholesale Warranties for quotes right after purchasing my new Adventurer last July. Prices for both were in the $3,500 to $4,000 range.

While under factory warranty I decided to pass on those offers and now that I'm about to exit factory warranty I'm again "thinking" about it.

So, leaving the gambling part aside - I'm leaning against it because of the hassle part of the deal.

As best I can tell folks with extended warranties have to put up with a LOT of hassle. Hassle getting the right service people. Hassle getting the repair approved. Hassle of having lots of repairs simply turned down. Hassle getting the right parts approved. And delays, delays and more delays. Sometimes for many months.

I'm thinking I'd never put up with any of that. I'd just get things fixed NOW where I wanted to go and worry about the cost later.

I'm I just naive? Or just plain wrong?

I know I can buy an Extended Warranty at any time, but if I do so before my coach is 1 full year old the pricing is lower. I have 18 days until my coach is one year old. Should I do it, or is it just a gamble and too much hassle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
In that as you have looked at all the pro/con issues in forums, there's no need to expound on it. I will just say that I am in the no extended warranty camp.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Bought an extended warranty for our 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD from Wholesale Warranties. Great people to work with and when my full wall slide broke they told me to take it where I wanted to go and just have the shop call them before any work was done. They took care of everything. Have the Viking Protection Program. Have 2 years left of not worrying about something major as we are full time.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Good to hear a range of opinion on this. Thanks.

I'll check into this Viking Protection Program.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

You never had one before, why start now?
parks0412 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

There not for me.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I've said before... if you can't fix diddly, buy a service contract. If you can they are a giant waste of money. Im on my 3rd+ year on a new coach, so far spent less than 400.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #8

With a 14 year old coach my wife sleeps better with one. Ours covers everything in the chassis and drivetrain, appliances and slides. Very few exclusions on the Viking Policy.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
2nd owner of our coach, bought a warranty when we got the coach. Since we've owned it (12 months) we've had to replace the #1 ac, the mother board for the Aquahot, the residential fridge and the thermostat. Total for all of that was the cost of the warranty. Provider is Compass and it was entirely painless to get those items repaired.

On our first MH, we had to get $9,000 worth of suspension work done, which was covered under our warranty. They are expensive, but one big repair and you'll be happy you spent the money.

To each their own...
GRedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
GRedman said it best..... One major repair will usually more than pay for cost of warranty....

I'd never own a used coach without one.... Currently have Coach-Net.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty