Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering purchasing a pre-owned 2004 diesel pusher that I found. One of the things that I want to do before I commit to the purchase, is to get some quotes on an extended warranty policy. Some folks hate them and some love them. For me personally, the policy that I bought for my Winnebago paid for itself two times over during the life of the policy.

The company that wrote my policy (Warranty Direct) no longer writes them. Besides Good Sam, can anyone recommend a good extended warranty plan? Thanks!

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering purchasing a pre-owned 2004 diesel pusher that I found. One of the things that I want to do before I commit to the purchase, is to get some quotes on an extended warranty policy. Some folks hate them and some love them. For me personally, the policy that I bought for my Winnebago paid for itself two times over during the life of the policy.

The company that wrote my policy (Warranty Direct) no longer writes them. Besides Good Sam, can anyone recommend a good extended warranty plan? Thanks!

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
On its face, the Good Sam quote I got didn't look bad - until I got into the fine print. Since mine is a 5th wheel, it's a little different situation, but the requirement to take the RV into an authorized service facility to have all OEM scheduled maintenance performed and documented was a non-starter for me since this didn't just cover the "box" but all of the components (e.g., fridge, water heater, furnace, A/C units, etc.) therein. To me, the expense and hassle of that (since I do my own work on the "minor" stuff) wasn't worth it.

JM2CW

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #4

Craig,

Look for an "exclusionary" policy, that is one that covers everything except those items specifically excluded in the policy. Most of the extended policies are "inclusionary" and only cover the systems, parts, etc. that are listed in the policy. And, many of them are a bit tricky, such as only covering the engine parts that are lubericated, therefore, presumably not covering the alternator, etc.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Try these two:

Warranty Experts

RV Protection.net

I have a policy from American Guardian thru RVProtection.net that suited my needs nicely. I know several others who bought through Warranty Experts and got good service/prices.

But read all the policy terms - the devil is in the details. Do not assume the insurer will cut you any slack - they are more likely to enforce the letter of the contract than the spirit. Make sure you understand exactly what is covered and the relationship, if any, with any manufacturer's warranties you may have (including appliance wartanties). Definitely get the "exclusion" type policy that covers everything except excluded items. That minimizes misunderstandings about coverages.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #6

When I recently got an online quote from RV Protection.net the policy was from a company called USA Travel Care, not American Guardian. Does anyone know if they've changed or offer policies from more than one company?

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I believe they are one and the same - USA Travel Care is the name (or one of the names) that American Guardian uses when issuing RV Extended Warranties. It may reflect the particular underwriter for that policy.

I suggest you ask RVProtection.net if they issue policies from more than one company and what, if any, differences there may be.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote