Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Exterior 2" vertical trim separation

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with front end cap trim channel coming loose (only on rear side)? My 2014 Tiffin Allegro has that problem for about 8-9 inches on both sides of coach just in front of the V-10 emblem. Sticks out at most 3/16 - 1/4" at rear of trim channel and will go back in place when pushed on but won't stay. I'm wondering if some sealer or glue would hold it in place, I hate to put screws through the channel to hold it in place. Dealer said it was a huge deal to fix with channel running from just below rear view mirrors to bottom of fender in front of tire. They replaced one under warranty 4 times before it held and they are talking $6-700 per side. Any ideas? Thanks
RDWL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Talk to a body shop. My auto mechanic glued mine back on and it has held for a couple of years perfectly. sorry, but I don't know what he used.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150731_134525 (1)_2.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	159151 Is this what you are talking about? If so I talked to Don Boyd and he said the two pieces are separated and it is not structural. I t can be a big deal to repair because it may require blending paint. I made a deal with Don Boyd to do a temporary repair because I was afraid it would keep separating. I have the option to still get it permanently repaired at a later date. This was my temporary repair that was done two years ago. Those are stainless steel washers and chrome cap covers. My friend in Arizona had a fabricating shop make him a 8 inch piece of stainless a little narrower than the trim piece. He had them drill 4 cone shaped holes and used the V shaped head stainless screws to attach it. His was also done about two years ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150914_195655 (1)_2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	159156
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #4

Thanks for your replays, the pictures are exactly like I'm talking about I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle my fix but happy to hear about your fixes and ideas relative to my problem. Richard
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

Tiffin will repair it under warranty. They did my 2014 36LA. The problem originated because in 2014 they went to glue only to attach the front cap, no screws. The fix involves removing the trim, putting screws though the front cap, side wall into a backing plate and replacing the trim. The trim will need repainted of course.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had kind of the same problem with a horizontal piece of trim where it meets the end cap. I would open the large back bay door and it would pop loose. I used a couple of long pop rivets and some touch up paint to fix it.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Many thanks Roger, you win the prize for explaining the problem, why it occurred and how it was fixed. What warranty was it fixed under and when was it fixed, I'm wondering how long my warranty will remain in effect for this problem. I live 3.5 to 4 days drive from Red Bay and I was there last year but I didn't have the problem then unfortunately. Richard
Old 04-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #8

Mine was 3+ years old at the time of the repair. I assume it was under the structural warranty but with it being a known problem, I think it will be repaired under warranty for a while similar to the roof rail and wet bay issues on the late 2000 models. I could have fixed it myself other than the paint issue. I would call Tiffin service and explain your distance from Red Bay and at least get the issue recorded, they may recommend someone close that is authorized to do the repair.