Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I have a similar problem on my 03. Seems like the GEL coat has fractured all over and mildew is growing in the cracks. The only thing I have yet to try is bleach and water. Let us know if you find something that works.
I'm gonna try that! Thanks!

Also, I think I will try to pressure wash (not too close) to see if that might do it.....I know I can't get too close or use too high pressure of a nozzle, but I'm gonna try that....if the bleach doesn't work....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Were you driving it last winter or was it parked? It almost looks like some chemical damage.

It does look like some acid rain or chemical type damage. I think it is mold imbedded in the oxidization on the top of the gelcoat.

I remember one morning last winter, Feb, Mar, or April, who knows, anyway, I went out there and that stuff wiped off with my hand. It didn't have any shape or form to it, just looked like kind of wet dirty water. Now, all this time later, its cooked on there like ceramics.......of course, this is all purely speculation on my part.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #17

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
This is very interesting, because I believe this side of the motorhome with morning dew lingering due to the sun not hitting it until 1 or 2 in the afternoon....Also, it is about 2 feet from the lawn where the other side is just rock and concrete...... It was last Feb or Mar when I hit the side with the pressure washer and there is a clean spot there. I have not tried pressure washing. So this chemical reaction and another post of this stuff being down in the minor cracks of the gelcoat make the most sense to me so far.....

I have not tried the bleach....that's next.

Thanks!! If you come up on that article let me know!

I would try a solution of Bleach/Dawn(plain old)/water and mix .185/.5/3 ratio and apply with a soft sponge or mircofiber wash mit (use gloves) to agitate, suds, and cling to the surface for maximum contact time, and rinse before it dries.
Prior to this wash have on hand the following and apply before any mold/contaminates can impregnate the cracks:
Poorboy's World SSR2 Medium Abrasive Swirl Remover, Medium swirl remover, car polish, Poorboys SSR2
Poorboy's World Polish with 100% Carnauba, Poorboys Polish Wax, polish with carnauba wax
Poorboy's World EX Sealant with Carnauba 32 oz., Poorboy's EXP, Poorboys Sealant with Carnauba wax
Flex XC 3401, FLEX Orbital Polisher,flex XC 3401 VRG dual-action polisher,flex XC3401VRG,Dual Action polisher,FLEX buffer and an assortment of foam pads...try the starter pack. Cheaper polishers out there but this one can be agressive enough to use as a buffer with the right pad and compound.
Then wax, wax, as the wax is your surface protection now, not gelcoat as there is no gelcoat in cracks within gelcoat.
Hope this helps, but in the end new gelcoat/paint job w/clearcoat may be a more perminent solution rather than a bandade as above.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Our 89 Encounter grows mold on the surface of the GelCoat (sits on the north side of a barn) after sitting for the winter. I mix 1/4 cup of bleach to 3 gal of soap & water when washing. The mold will appear to remain after rinsing but be gone after 30 minutes. The spring time wash with bleach is all that is needed for the season. I've been doing the spring bleach wash for the past 5 years, no side effects to other parts or appearance.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #19

On what kind of material were you parked? It looks like artillery fungus.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bleach Did It! Yahoo!

Thanks for all the wonderful information folks! This morning, waiting for a furniture delivery, it was cool, misty and had just finished a light soaking rain, I decided to try the bleach.....went out with a cotton cloth and applied straight bleach, the stuff just almost melted off. Went along the whole curb side as far up as I could reach, wiped it on then went back with another wipe, no scrubbing necessary, then immediately went back and double rinsed where I'd been with the bleach. Will immediately get out and wax the coach this weekend. Yes, I should have used a much lighter solution of bleach/water as suggested, it stripped that crap off there like you can't believe!

Pictures....one shows where I couldn't get all the way with the bleach, just did it real quick as I didn't have time to get out the ladder, will finish the job this weekend.....

For info only, the mold was worse at the back part of the curb side of the motorhome, which is about 2 feet from the grass, where the rest of it is separated by a rock driveway.....so the grass spores or fungus or whatever, in the mornings, definitely is where the mold was highest....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-05_676.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	25069   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-17_686.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	25070  

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-22_420.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	25071   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-26_862.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	25072  

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-39_212.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	25073   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-49_84.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	25074  

Name:	2012-08-21_08-19-59_194.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	25075  
Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Looking good Kent. Glad you took care of it as we did notice a whiff of mold when you visited us in Grapevine

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #22

What you need to do is clean and SEAL the gelcoat. I recommend Poli-Glow, as it comes with the proper cleaner to dig down into the pores of the gelcoat and clean that stuff out. There aren't any other cleaners around that I'm aware of that will do this. NEVER use bleach. And, buffing or compounding the gelcoat only "wears off" the top layer of the gelcoat, leaving the pores full of dirt. I did my 97, and after 4 coats, you can read a newspaper off it from about 2 feet out.. ( not really, but you can see your reflection in it..LOL )
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
What you need to do is clean and SEAL the gelcoat. I recommend Poli-Glow, as it comes with the proper cleaner to dig down into the pores of the gelcoat and clean that stuff out. There aren't any other cleaners around that I'm aware of that will do this. NEVER use bleach. And, buffing or compounding the gelcoat only "wears off" the top layer of the gelcoat, leaving the pores full of dirt. I did my 97, and after 4 coats, you can read a newspaper off it from about 2 feet out.. ( not really, but you can see your reflection in it..LOL )
I am going to look into that rvguy, I know it is bad to use bleach on it, but I'm so happy that crap came off. I was gonna use this after I wash the whole coach again:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/pr...rine-wax-32oz/

But I know the gelcoat must be protected by waxing now. I might have to hire it done, since I have a trip coming up next week. Work always interferes with my ability to maintain a shiny coach!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Looking good Kent. Glad you took care of it as we did notice a whiff of mold when you visited us in Grapevine

Oh Cliff, you are such the comedian!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Rvguy - I am scaredy cat of heights. Cant stand to be more than 2 steps up. Can't get a rolling stair thing around the coach at home because it is parked on river rock drive and is surrounded by a 4x4 border and lawn. Can the Poli-Glow cleaner / coats be applied with a stick type mop or something like that? I am convinced that's what this coach needs. I know from reading about the Poli Glow it has to be done meticulously or it will run and look cruddy....don't want that...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Rvguy - I am scaredy cat of heights. Cant stand to be more than 2 steps up. Can't get a rolling stair thing around the coach at home because it is parked on river rock drive and is surrounded by a 4x4 border and lawn. Can the Poli-Glow cleaner / coats be applied with a stick type mop or something like that? I am convinced that's what this coach needs. I know from reading about the Poli Glow it has to be done meticulously or it will run and look cruddy....don't want that...
You will LOVE the results ! You will find the applicator that comes with the kit is usable with a handle. The secret is to take your time ... trust me, you CAN'T screw it up...just use light thin coats and follow the directions. Do yourself a favor thought... DON'T wax it... just order your kit and save yourself the extra work... the poliGlow cleaner is going to strip off the wax you apply as well as clean the pores of the gelcoat. I will try and get a few more good pics to post.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You will LOVE the results ! You will find the applicator that comes with the kit is usable with a handle. The secret is to take your time ... trust me, you CAN'T screw it up...just use light thin coats and follow the directions. Do yourself a favor thought... DON'T wax it... just order your kit and save yourself the extra work... the poliGlow cleaner is going to strip off the wax you apply as well as clean the pores of the gelcoat. I will try and get a few more good pics to post.
Ok Rvguy40, I called and talked to Poly Glo and you and they convinced me. I ordered the kit with the extra bottle for follow ups. I won't do anything else till I get it....Says delivery on or before August 24. I can work on it over the weekend.....does it have to be done in the shade? I can't work on it in direct sunlight? or not?

But, now, you are in this with me, so if I have problems, I'm gonna call YOU!

I'll have to get it done this weekend cause I don't dare show up at the Boomers Rally next weekend in a filthy moldy coach!

Attention: anyone that wants to come help, my address is........
Old 08-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Don't want to ruin your day...

But that looks alot like thermal fatigue. There were defective side walls produced between 2000-2008, I think. You might want to check into that.