Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Angry Exterior Structural Lamination Damage Expert

I am having an issue with Good Sam insurance. I had a very bad issue with my leveling system where the coach lurched rapidly up on passenger rear and lowered due to that in the front. I believe it caused a pop of my outer fiberglass in the right rear quarter but Good Sam (NGIC) just saying age and poor maintenance so not going to cover it. I say BS but need an expert to look at it or pics. Any help? It is now at Camping World in Indiana getting fixed. Thanks
Portsmouth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

Does insurance cover that? Is that a mechanical issue?

I can see a warranty might cover it, but isn’t good sams collision type insurance?

Don’t know, just asking.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #3

I am a lawyer so I get advertisements from a place called Experts.com. I haven't used them but you might try a search on their site.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if any insurance will cover such damage. especially on an 18-year-old motorhome. As RVs age, they will generally suffer some delamination of the siding.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It should be covered in comprehensive. So, if you have an older car and your brakes fail and the car is damaged or causes damage to another, no coverage. That wont fly
Old 09-17-2022, 04:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It is a $12K fix according to camping world. Also, heads up; Camping World will not take on selling a RV over 10 years old. Camping World and Good Sam are somehow connected. This must be to push new sales. So, just get ready to have values drop like a rock after 10
Old 09-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #7

"What comprehensive car insurance doesn’t cover
Although comprehensive car insurance might be the right option for certain natural disasters and having your car stolen, it’s not going to help you in every scenario. Here’s a list of things that a comprehensive policy doesn’t typically cover:

Damage to your car from a collision with another vehicle or object
Damage to another car or piece of property resulting from a collision
Medical expenses that result from a car accident
Mechanical breakdown
Normal wear and tear
Routine car maintenance
Theft of personal items within your vehicle"
Old 09-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portsmouth1 View Post
It should be covered in comprehensive. So, if you have an older car and your brakes fail and the car is damaged or causes damage to another, no coverage. That wont fly
No, don't think so. Comprehensive would have covered it if a tree had fallen on your motorhome and did the damage. For the most part though, that portion of your insurance policy doesn't cover a mechanical breakdown or the damage caused by it.

If your brakes failed and caused damage to yours or another vehicle, then your collision would cover your vehicle and your liability would cover the other.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Well, what they are doing is saying, your vehicle is old so it just will happen and we are not covering it. It did not just happen; it was caused by a mechanical failure of another system. Age did not have anything to do with this issue. It was caused by stresses beyond normal. I am looking for an expert on delamination who can say what is what. I was in the motor home along with someone else and the movement caused by the defective HWH system is what caused the problem. The insurance should cover this but please read up on NGIC and you will see they are pulling this little stunt a lot.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been working on mororhomes for over 30years, have owned about 10 class "A's".
I have seen windshields pop out windshields crack, entrance doors that don't latch, entrance door frames bent, sidewall cracks generally under slide outs, roofs that have separated from sidewalls, sidewalls that have moved from floor supports, all of the items listed above were due to the rv chassis being twisted via auto leveling or manually leveling jacks. I have to agree with the insurance inspectors that you praticular issue is not the cause of de lamination. De lamination is more prevalent in cold climates due to moisture/water entering the sidewall generally from a defective window seal or a roof seal to the wall, once moisture enters the wall it freezes and pops the fiberglass bond to the luan panel that it is bonded to. Generally from what I have learned, if your buying an older coach, buy one that has spent its life in hot/dry conditions.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #11

Most older cars are just totaled by the insurance company. My neighbor had that problem with a old, but new looking Prius. A car hit him from behind and pushed him into another one in front. He bought it back as salvage. Purchased new bumpers front and rear, hood and found a almost new charging system with battery for a Tesla, and fixed it. Had it painted. What a driving range it has now!
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. The leveling system did cause the issue but I had no prior issues with delamination and yes, window broke later.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:01 AM   #13

Yes, a twisted chassis can delaminate a sidewall. Envision a cube of cardboard. If you twist it, the sides will try to separate from the other sides and crumple.

A picture of the problem would be helpful for further insights.
By you calling it delamination, points RV'rs to water damage which is far more common and is due to lack of roof maintenance (typically).

No, comprehensive will not cover the issue.
A Service Contract might have covered the leveler issue (if that is broken).
The leveling system isn't "Defective", it's "Broken".
Old 09-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #14

I received your PM. I don't use PM as the number is extremely limited on this forum.
To post a pic, use SEARCH. Very easy to find out how.