Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extra Generator in addition to on board generator

How many people have a spare generator in addition to their on board generator.
Is there an advantage to it for boondocking.
I bought a 3200 Firman and it takes up a whole compartment Im wondering if I really need it.

Thanks
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
I bought a 3200 Firman and it takes up a whole compartment Im wondering if I really need it.

Thanks
I really can't see an advantage to having a spare or extra generator. If your RV already has one there should be no need for a second one. I have one that I bought for a 5th wheel and when I traded for a motor home it already had a generator. The generator that I had in the 5th wheel sits in the garage un-used. Guess I will sell it. Just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
Old 04-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only case I would make for having a second generator is if you do a lot of boondocking and dont have solar, so you buy a 1000 watt generator and use it instead of the onboard generator as the 1000 watt unit would be a lot more economical than the onboard generator.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

We have a 6500 watt PROPANE fueled gen. we did some extensive boondocking this past winter in Az. and found running the gen mainly to charge batts. to be extremely wasteful/expensive (and noisy) and we actually hit "empty" after 9 days. for this reason we are looking at Champions new 2000 watt dual fuel unit. plumb that into the big tank and we will be set.
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
The only case I would make for having a second generator is if you do a lot of boondocking and dont have solar, so you buy a 1000 watt generator and use it instead of the onboard generator as the 1000 watt unit would be a lot more economical than the onboard generator.
I have a 1200 watt genny that I take for boondocking. It works ok to keep up with small loads, and it saves lots of gas over using the big genny. I find it is a bit small, and doesn't charge the batteries very quickly. I would recommend one slightly larger. 2000 watts seems to be the sweetspot. They are manageable, but provide enough power to do what you need to. Unless you boondock regularly, I wouldn't think hauling an extra generator would be of any use to the average rver.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We don't have an additional generator but have been boon docking ans have seen others use. They use them to charge the batteries when it is cool enough not to have to run the main generator for AC.

The cost of the additional generator plus fuel would require quite a bit of use to make it economic. I doubt I could ever justify but I am sure there are circumstances where it is worthwhile.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #7

If you are using the generator mainly to charge batteries, I'd recommend instead considering one or more lithium batteries and a high current charger for them.

In our last motorhome, I was used to how long it takes to recharge flooded batteries. On our last trip in our new coach, (first trip with 2 100 AH Battle Borns, and a Xantrex 2 kW inverter/charger), I was pleasantly surprised to see how fast the batteries charged.

...100 AH, in one hour. The Xantrex was squirting 103 amps into the bank.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post

Thanks
jarata,
Well, as you can see and read, some can't see the need for an "extra" gen and some might have a need. Our coach is a diesel coach and therefore, has the normal diesel "Quiet" QD 7.5 version. Well, it's not all that quiet. At least not to my Websters dictionary version of QUIET means. Heck, I've been next to giant Kolhar 20,000 watt "Whisper watt" versions that are quieter than ours. And, as bas been stated by one or two so far, to run that rather large, diesel generator JUST FOR RECHARGING BATTERIES, seems a bit on the OVER KILL SIDE.

So, I got lucky and purchased an almost brand new, Yamaha 2000i inverter/gen. It's got the low idle no power needed setting and yet, when it detects a load, it ramps up. But, even at full power output, it's probably around 1/4 as noisy as out QD 7.5. Yes, it's one more thing to load and find storage for in our basement and, you need GAS for it too.

But, on those trips that we're gonna do a fair amount of boon docking, I think it's a valuable little tool that makes for quieter camping, keeping neighbors at bay, and you can actually sit not that far from it operation and still hold a low level voice conversation. As for fuel consumption, it's negligent. I think that little tank on it which, is about a 1/2 gallon or less, will let that little 2000i run for about 8 hours or so.

Yeah, I myself think its a pretty good solution in keeping the batts charged, keeping the campground quieter and keeping the neighbors happy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can almost quote what Scott said
We have a 1kw inverter gen, left from the 5er days.
We have boondocked at the Balloon Fiesta for 2 weeks at a time. The little Gen. would charge the batteries and run the Frig, while watching TV during free time.
Placed behind the MH it was real quit and no vibration.

Works great at Rallies also. The Gen. the required Fiesta stand (must be 2' off ground), all fit in a Rubbermaid.

I don't know if I would go out and buy one, but I had it, and use it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
First I am not really certain about FIREUP comment on the noise of the QD7500. I think mine is pretty quiet. At the 12 hour races at Sebring FL a couple of months ago I had two people in a tent next to me -- maybe 15 feet away. They said my generator was not an issue at all, and that other RV's 75 feet away were louder. I did have the Genturi in place as I always do when campers are near.

Next -- I carry a Honda 2000. A habit from when I had issues with the big gen and was concerned with reliability before our trip to Alaska. We do a decent amount of boondocking and I do not have much solar. Therefore the backup generator was there. I have never used it in the last two years and have considered pulling it out several times. I do always have gasoline on hand as my cartop boat has a 9.9OB --- so that is not a consideration.

seems like varying opinions dependent upon different situations.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

I think my 7500 QD is pretty quiet and other people have told me so also. Those people are in 5vrs and using big noisy portables. I have a Honda Eu2000i and it is pretty quiet. I don't carry it in the coach. Use it when camping in the boat.

When boon docking (rv,tent,boat) the true definition of quiet becomes clear. You want to hear the crackling of the bear/deer sneaking around and the sound of the stream babbling. So a real quiet small genny is nice but you can still hear it.... barely over the radio playing

The only way to have quiet AND batteries is a lot of solar set up correctly. I haven't boondocked enough to warrant that expense.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
First I am not really certain about FIREUP comment on the noise of the QD7500. I think mine is pretty quiet. At the 12 hour races at Sebring FL a couple of months ago I had two people in a tent next to me -- maybe 15 feet away. They said my generator was not an issue at all, and that other RV's 75 feet away were louder. I did have the Genturi in place as I always do when campers are near.

Next -- I carry a Honda 2000. A habit from when I had issues with the big gen and was concerned with reliability before our trip to Alaska. We do a decent amount of boondocking and I do not have much solar. Therefore the backup generator was there. I have never used it in the last two years and have considered pulling it out several times. I do always have gasoline on hand as my cartop boat has a 9.9OB --- so that is not a consideration.

seems like varying opinions dependent upon different situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I think my 7500 QD is pretty quiet and other people have told me so also. Those people are in 5vrs and using big noisy portables. I have a Honda Eu2000i and it is pretty quiet. I don't carry it in the coach. Use it when camping in the boat.

When boon docking (rv,tent,boat) the true definition of quiet becomes clear. You want to hear the crackling of the bear/deer sneaking around and the sound of the stream babbling. So a real quiet small genny is nice but you can still hear it.... barely over the radio playing

The only way to have quiet AND batteries is a lot of solar set up correctly. I haven't boondocked enough to warrant that expense.
I will agree with both you boys on the QD 7.5 being quiet. It's MINE that's not that quiet. And, it's not as quiet as many of my friends QD's because, for some odd reason, mine has tendency to run at higher rpms for a given load. I think my muffler is fine. It's just that it's running at a higher rpm that is the reason for the excessive noise.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a onboard 10kw generator. Also carry a 3000w portable gas generator.

Backup in case of 10kw failure.
Quieter and less vibration inside the coach than the 10kw.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
If we boondocked a lot, I would probably have a small 1000 or 2000 Honda to charge the batteries, versus running the big generator.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator