RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Extreme Cold Temperature and Antifreeze Leak

I noticed I had two antifreeze leaks on my MH recently and I am wondering if perhaps the extremely cold weather may be the cause of this? Like so many places the weather has been terrible of late. Around the 1st. of the year the temperature reached a minus 12 degrees and stayed around zero for the high temperatures for several days. I crawled under my MH and I noticed that my lower radiator was leaking some antifreeze around the top hose clamp. As for the other leak I could not really see anything where it is possible leaking. During the past few winters we have hardly even been below zero. Obviously this is of great concern to me but I was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced something like this on their Ford V8 460 during this extreme cold spell?
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I noticed I had two antifreeze leaks on my MH recently and I am wondering if perhaps the extremely cold weather may be the cause of this? Like so many places the weather has been terrible of late. Around the 1st. of the year the temperature reached a minus 12 degrees and stayed around zero for the high temperatures for several days. I crawled under my MH and I noticed that my lower radiator was leaking some antifreeze around the top hose clamp. As for the other leak I could not really see anything where it is possible leaking. During the past few winters we have hardly even been below zero. Obviously this is of great concern to me but I was just wondering if anyone else may have experienced something like this on their Ford V8 460 during this extreme cold spell?
Tighten all your hose clamps a smigen , should do it.. so cold that every joint/connection shrinks just a bit more than normal.
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it is normal. Like said above just tighten the clamps a bit.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Last May I was loosing up to 1/2 gal of coolant a day. (series 60) stressed me out until one cool morning while parked on concrete I saw it pouring out from a low clamp,
Put on a second clamp and tightened both - no more stress
Old 01-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #5

Metal shrinks, rubber gets hard and the drip begins. ..tighten clamp a bit. Just did mine.
819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, that's what I'm going to try do is to tighten the hose clamps. Weather is still pretty chilly but better today than the past few days. Hopefully I can get to the clamps from underneath the MH okay. Not much wiggle room with the tire being in the way. May remove the doghouse and try from the top. I did have new radiator/heater hoses put on a couple of years ago but did not have any leaks up until now but the weather never really got down to the -12 degrees and stay there this long until now. Thanks everyone for the input. Stay WARM.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak