Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Extreme newbie comparing two Class A DP

We have recently started looking at older, hopefully gently used, motorhomes (first ever) and have done our homework by reading posts and watching videos on as many sites as possible. The main thing we've come away with is "find a floor plan that we like". We've also tried to take in account which chassis / motor combo would be the most comfortable/best/maintenance/ cost/etc. for full time living but we're still trying to sort that out.

With that in mind we think we have it narrowed down to either 2003-2008 Travel Supreme 40 plus feet or the same specs with a Country Coach. What we like about these two is that they are already set up as more of a living room, with a couch on one side and the possibility of TV stand on the other. We don't believe we'll need the extra couch. We also like the space that both of those offer with the slide outs. It is just the two of us, and two dogs, but we both work from home so separate work spaces are a necessity. We think we could use the counter in the bedroom for one of us and the "TV" desk for the other. We also think we might want a TAG axle due to some of the other comments we've read on here about how they drive. So much for starting our RV journey in a Minnie Winnie.

That brings me to my questions:

* How do these two manufacturers compare with quality, etc?
* Are we overlooking a brand or specific motorhome that we should consider?
* What are we missing?

We're looking to stay in or around $100k. Of course cheaper is always better.

thanks in advance for any feedback or help you can offer.
FL Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Local View Post
W So much for starting our RV journey in a Minnie Winnie.
That "for just a few feet/dollars/pounds more" game sure adds up fast, doesn't it?

The only thing I can add is Dad loved his Country Coach from that time period passionately. He only sold it a couple of years ago because he needed to planted in the ground a little closer to home for awhile and didn't have time for it any more.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both are good rigs, both still have parts available.
TS went on to become Entegra and CC was bought by Winnebago.
Mine is a 45' and has a built in, dedicated desk and room for another desk or workstation.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
One suggestion I would make is to put money aside and to plan for additional expenses once you have the motorhome. I mention that because it is not obvious to everyone that this will happen, and because on a larger motorhome the cost is not insignificant.

Some will certainly disagree with my estimate, but you might have to spend $10,000 to $20,000 or more (hopefully not) once you really have the RV. There will be things like updating maintanence on engine/generator, tires, satellite systems out of date, tire pressure monitors, WIFI boosters, furnaces, air conditioners, towing equipment if you plan to tow, and so many more things you will learn about. My purpose is not to scare you, but just to prepare you that a used RV will not be "100% ready to go" when you purchase it.

Also that the costs are not inconsequential when you first start RVing. Beyond that you can budget and plan more, but just plan for some additional expenses at the beginning.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
One suggestion I would make is to put money aside and to plan for additional expenses once you have the motorhome. I mention that because it is not obvious to everyone that this will happen, and because on a larger motorhome the cost is not insignificant.

Some will certainly disagree with my estimate, but you might have to spend $10,000 to $20,000 or more (hopefully not) once you really have the RV. There will be things like updating maintanence on engine/generator, tires, satellite systems out of date, tire pressure monitors, WIFI boosters, furnaces, air conditioners, towing equipment if you plan to tow, and so many more things you will learn about. My purpose is not to scare you, but just to prepare you that a used RV will not be "100% ready to go" when you purchase it.

Also that the costs are not inconsequential when you first start RVing. Beyond that you can budget and plan more, but just plan for some additional expenses at the beginning.
That's good info the have. We're definitely going into this expecting the unexpected but that's why we were trying to find a better quality RV to hopefully mitigate some of those issues.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #6

You might look at a used Foretravel, they are hi end but can be a great bargin. They have great bones and a lot of options that others Coaches don't have.
Tom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not really familiar with either of the rigs so can't be much help there. I chose a 40' without the tag axle because I didn't want the expense of extra tires and something else to go wrong! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not really familiar with either of the rigs so can't be much help there. I chose a 40' without the tag axle because I didn't want the expense of extra tires and something else to go wrong! Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you - -we're still trying to make heads or tails of what is what and hopefully will make the right decision. Or as close as we can find.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom7 View Post
You might look at a used Foretravel, they are hi end but can be a great bargin. They have great bones and a lot of options that others Coaches don't have.
Thanks -- that is a new one for us so we'll definitely take a look.

Tags
class a, newbie