Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

EZ Pass

I’ve just gotten off the phone with the PA Turnpike Commission EZ Pass folks, and am as confused as ever. My rig’s over 20,000 pounds so I need a commercial EZ Pass account. And I will be towing a dingy. From what I was told I need.3 transponders; one for the motorhome when not towing, one for the dingy to use when not beimg towed, and one transponder for the motorhome when towing the dingy. Soumds crazy to me. Advice please.
Aimlessinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m using New York EZ pass. Other than the commercial account (I’m using a regular account) I have two transponders for the motorhome (one with and one without toad), one transponder for the toad, and two for my pickup truck, one with and one without trailer. New York has a maximum number of transponders per account but will waive the limit to accommodate towing.

I’ve been told some of the EZ Pass states can count axles and do not need multiple transponders for towing.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
This whole EZ pass thing is strange. What happens if you use the RV+TOAD and they count axles? I went over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel and told the attendant that my EZ pass was not setup for my toad...she said she had already entered the number of axles....what gives.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

I was told by Maryland EZpass to put the TOAD pass in the plastic bag and the RV's EZpass is all that's required. The system counts the number of axles and having 2 passes will result in a double charge.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about NY!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
I was told by Maryland EZpass to put the TOAD pass in the plastic bag and the RV's EZpass is all that's required. The system counts the number of axles and having 2 passes will result in a double charge.
I was told the same.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a single Virginia EZ pass that includes pulling the toad. Did not bother getting one for the toad.
Warmrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a single Delaware Ezpass which is setup for either my MH or our mini van so I can switch it between vehicles. When I drive the MH I sometimes don't have a toad and I'm only charged for the MH. When I add my toad with dolly I guess they count the axles and I'm charged a higher rate. I don't put a ezpass in the toad since it's connected to the MH. The charges go up a lot with the toad. Example at same toll: $8 for MH only and $24 for MH with toad. Does that seem right? The number are right but Ouch!
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Same for NC EZ pass quick pass. No annual fee, good for all EZpass states plus Georgia and Florida.
Just need one transponder as long as all vehicles are listed on your account including 54,000 gvw mh.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
+1 as Dave-Oh said regarding NC QuickPass. I have one for coach and one for toad for cases where I want to drive the toad and not worry about switching transponders between vehicles. I keep the toad transponder in the foil bag unless I specifically need it.

I like the fact that I can use it at E-Z Pass in the Northeast, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #11

I’m going from Florida to Maine.
How many transponders do I need?
I have a Sunpass
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I’m going from Florida to Maine.
How many transponders do I need?
I have a Sunpass
If you get it from NC you only need one as long as you have the vehicles it will be used with listed on your account. You don't need the sun pass.
Like Bill I have two so I don't have to switch back and forth between mh and toad. When pulling toad I put that transponder in bag in console.
I'm also going from Fl to Maine and over to In this summer.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about NY!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

You are lucky. But we’re two different states under one label.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #14

X3, we are also doing a Florida to Maine trip this summer. Last week of June. Got the NC EZ-pass that is already working in Florida. The SunPass is collecting dust. No motor home but pulling a trailer and will be pulling it on a Florida toll road this weekend. I think I added it to the account but will be looking for the charges next Monday.
CamperDad is offline   Reply With Quote