Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
srh

Newmar Owners Club
We just came back from a round trip (MI to Freeport, ME) towing a car. Yes, NY State Thruway toll was a bit steep, but after staying at Watkins Glen, NY, we took I86 and I88. I thought both highways for the most part were not bad. On our way back to MI from SW Boston, we took I90 out of Boston for a short distance to I84 all the way to I81 in NY and then I80 to OH Turnpike. I also found I81 and I80 to be fairly descent. I84 had a bit more rough patches. All of our driving home was no tools except for about 25mi in MA and the of course the OH Turnpike.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Pigman1, If you have an idea of your weight just pick the class you need. Class 1 is passenger cars and trucks, class 2 is 7 - 15000 lbs., class 3 is 15001 - 19000 Lbs., class 4 is 19001 - 30000 Lbs., class 5 is 30001 - 4500 Lbs. Tolls are naturally per exit. Check this toll calculator at https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/tollmileage.aspx .
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
Those that use the NY thruway (I90) are we charged as a tractor trailer? Just got my statement and had a $55 charge for that road , that was the MH and Toad. Called the Ma. ez-pass office and said we're charged by the height weight and # of axles. Is it cheaper to just pay cash?
Yes, anything over 7'6" high over the drive axles pays a higher rate per axle.

Cash costs more than EZ-Pass.

Don't wait, RUN to an EZ-Pass service center, and bring along your motorhome registration. Then turn in your motorhome's EZ-Pass tag and get a pair of tags that are coded for the Motorhome Discount Plan (MHM.) When on that plan, you are no longer charged for being a tall vehicle, you will pay the same amount as regular private passenger cars.

Scroll all the way down and read about the Thruway Motorhome Discount Plan at the bottom of THIS PAGE.

Anybody that has a NY EZ-Pass and drives a motorhome NEEDS to be on this plan! I tried signing up for it over the phone, and faxing in my registration. It was a major hassle, and they didn't do it right. I finally stopped at a local EZ-Pass customer service center, and they fixed everything up right there on the spot. If you tow, you can get two tags: a white one for when you aren't towing (coded for just the number of axles on the motorhome) and a blue one for when you are towing (coded for the total number of motorhome and toad/trailer axles.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
It's cheaper to unhook and drive the toad through separately.
Not if you're on the Motorhome Discount plan. On that plan, it's a little bit cheaper (a few percent) to go through as a four axle vehicle as compared to two separate vehicles. If you aren't on the discount plan (and you should be!) then it may be cheaper because the toad axles won't be charged the tall vehicle rate.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Yes, anything over 7'6" high over the drive axles pays a higher rate per axle.

Cash costs more than EZ-Pass.

Don't wait, RUN to an EZ-Pass service center, and bring along your motorhome registration. Then turn in your motorhome's EZ-Pass tag and get a pair of tags that are coded for the Motorhome Discount Plan (MHM.) When on that plan, you are no longer charged for being a tall vehicle, you will pay the same amount as regular private passenger cars.

Scroll all the way down and read about the Thruway Motorhome Discount Plan at the bottom of THIS PAGE.

Anybody that has a NY EZ-Pass and drives a motorhome NEEDS to be on this plan! I tried signing up for it over the phone, and faxing in my registration. It was a major hassle, and they didn't do it right. I finally stopped at a local EZ-Pass customer service center, and they fixed everything up right there on the spot. If you tow, you can get two tags: a white one for when you aren't towing (coded for just the number of axles on the motorhome) and a blue one for when you are towing (coded for the total number of motorhome and toad/trailer axles.)

Not if you're on the Motorhome Discount plan. On that plan, it's a little bit cheaper (a few percent) to go through as a four axle vehicle as compared to two separate vehicles. If you aren't on the discount plan (and you should be!) then it may be cheaper because the toad axles won't be charged the tall vehicle rate.

This is the correct info:
Thruway Motor Home Discount Plan***: Proof of motor home registration is required to receive the special motor home discount. Motor homes will receive the passenger vehicle rate based on the number of axles on the motor home. Plan Code: (MHM)

I have a 2 EZ pass transponders.
One I place on the rv windshield when using the motorhome towing a F150.
I pay the rate for 2 passenger cars.

The other I place on the rv windshield when driving the motorhome by itself.
I pay the rate for ONE passenger car.

ShapeShifter is right on the money!!

The rest of you are guessing.
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #33

Just to point out the miss-information toll collectors are passing out, I was at a gated NYC MTA bridge and the BLUE ( towing ) pass didn't work. A collector came over and said the overhang blocks the signal on this bridge and then lectured me on having a blue pass. She said it was for commercial use and not passenger vehicles. She said the city is ripping us off.

Next was the " working with out a contract " rant that lasted for 5 minutes, while the traffic piled up. Being a retired civil servant, I have been there but kept it on the job.

She took the pass and slammed it on the gate pivot box and handed it back, as the gate went up.

I have read about the RV pass but don't use the Thruway enough to warrant going to the Staten Island EZ Pass center and deal with them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
EZ-Pass question

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trainguy View Post
One I place on the rv windshield when using the motorhome towing a F150.
I pay the rate for 2 passenger cars.
Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, you're paying a little less than that. A few weeks ago, I forgot to swap the tags around: the MH still gad the white two axle tag, and my toad (also an F-150) still had it's normal tag. So I got charged for two passenger cars. On the way home, I remembered to switch the tags, and the toll between Buffalo and Syracuse was 90 cents less than the two individual cars.

Sample tolls from Buffalo (exit 50) to Syracuse (exit 39), all based on two axle MH and two axle toad:
  • $23.15 Cash
  • $21.99 EZ-Pass without discount plan
  • $10.78 EZ-Pass with MHM discount plan
  • $11.68 EZ-Pass rate for two passenger cars

So, it's a significant savings for the MHM plan and well worth the effort of signing up if you use the Thruway often. (Especially since there are no one-time or monthly fees if you use automatic account replenishment through a credit card.)

The savings for a toad are not so much, but can still be worth it to get the second tag if you tow often. But it's not so great that I considered stopping on the shoulder of the Thruway before the exit 50 barrier to swap transponders around!

If you rarely tow, you can get just the standard transponder. Then, on the occasion that you do tow, go through a manned booth, and they will adjust the number of axles. You don't have to open your window, talk to them, or even stop, just keep going once the light changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have read about the RV pass but don't use the Thruway enough to warrant going to the Staten Island EZ Pass center and deal with them.

I can understand that. Do your travels ever take you near one of the other service centers, perhaps one in a suburban area? I went to the one on Grand Island, which is very suburban. I didn't have to wait in line, and while it took a while to work everything out, they only had a couple other people come in to be serviced by another agent. It was an almost pleasant experience.

But I'm confused: you mention a blue tag. What is it, if it isn't on the discount plan?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #35

My blue tag is the one NY/NJPA EZPass sent me after I was turned in for using a white one at the Fonda Thruway toll.

The blue tag, as explained to me by the service center, is for vehicles over 7800? lb's with dual rear wheels. When I first got the MH, I changed my white car pass to a dual rear wheel < 7800 pound vehicle, since they don't list a > 7800 lb dual rear wheel.

It worked until my entrance to the thruway in Fonda. The collector made me wait a few extra seconds, while looking over the MH and toad, before sending me thru. The next booth flashed "Call EZPass". I did and this is what they sent.

Remember there are 7 or 8, NY government agencies involved in NY EZPass and they all seem to make up different rules.

I visit family on Long Island once a year for a month. I sometimes head up to Brewerton or Fonda, but can avoid the Thruway. The closest service center is in Queens. I'm sure there are happy workers there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The blue tag, as explained to me by the service center, is for vehicles over 7800? lb's with dual rear wheels.
Interesting. With the MHM plan I have two tags for the MH: a blue one for use while towing (coded for four axles) and a white one for not towing (coded for two axles.) So there appears to be exceptions to every rule. When I got the tags, they did have to put them in a special device to reprogram them, so there is apparently something that can be done with a white tag to set it for heavier weights,something that we mere mortals can't do with their web site.

Quote:
The closest service center is in Queens. I'm sure there are happy workers there.

Oh yes! I'm sure they are all bright and cheery.