Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

F 53 Steering wanders

I am a newbie RV owner. We have only one trip under our belts and we're hooked! I bought a 1998 FourWinds Hurricane 30Q. It has the Ford F53 chassis. The steering wheel wasn't straight when the wheels point forward so I asked the dealer to get an alignment before I made the purchase.
The wheel is straight but it tends to wander while driving requiring two hands and constant attention. Has anybody else experience this issue? What's the fix?
Rayzorhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

Does it feel like the tail end of the M/H is wandering back & forth & you have to correct with the steering wheel to stay in your lane ?.

If that is what it feels like, go to the Ford Chassis forum & read the "Cheap Handling Fix", you'll be amazed at the change it will make in that F53s handling.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Does it feel like the tail end of the M/H is wandering back & forth & you have to correct with the steering wheel to stay in your lane ?.

If that is what it feels like, go to the Ford Chassis forum & read the "Cheap Handling Fix", you'll be amazed at the change it will make in that F53s handling.
Neil
+1
We moved the sway bars back to the closest hole and added a Brazels RV rear trac-bar. The difference was amazing to say the least.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

I have to constantly correct the steering to stay in my lane. I'll check out the cheap handling fix post. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #5

Make sure your tire pressures are correct for your weight and check those rear and front sway bar bushings. If yours are original they are undoubtedly shot.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #6

If your sway bar bushings are shot, check out this web site: energysuspension.com or they can be obtained at NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, ect. I will install them when ours wear out. They are a better quality than what the factory puts in.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

My 99 Winnebago 37G wandered too. I had it aligned and the toe was off, not enough to wear the tires badly. That made a huge difference once corrected. The caster was off too, but the truck shop that did the work could not correct that. Just in the past several weeks I replaced the worn out rear sway bar bushing. I purchased the new ones from ebay for $45.00 and $5.00 shipping. That made it even better. I could not locate the new bushings at the stores mentioned above, so I went with ebay. I plan to replace the front sway bar bushings too, once the ebay seller has them in stock.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #8

swaying

My 2008 32h itasca swayed when I purchased it. Mechanic suggested a Safe-T bar on front. It stopped the swaying and kept the motorhome straigt when a front tire exploded.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

It doesn't drive like a car, so you'll have to get used to it.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzorhka View Post
I am a newbie RV owner. We have only one trip under our belts and we're hooked! I bought a 1998 FourWinds Hurricane 30Q. It has the Ford F53 chassis. The steering wheel wasn't straight when the wheels point forward so I asked the dealer to get an alignment before I made the purchase.
The wheel is straight but it tends to wander while driving requiring two hands and constant attention. Has anybody else experience this issue? What's the fix?
If it's a '97 F-53 chassis with the 460 V-8, the steering wheel is centered by removing the coupler on the steering gear box and re-centering it.
You may not have actually received an alignment.

The first place to start for steering wander is the alignment and tire pressure.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #11

I had wandering problem on 96 Coachman. Would juist wear you out in less than 300 miles. Took to Ford dealer and happened to get a tech who did a lot of work on the school busses and was aware of a steering box recall. Replaced and was day and night for the better. He also said the ford handled better with front axle loaded close to max
Happyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #12

I think I found the issue.... The rear stabilizer bar bushing are totally gone! I am buying new bushing all around.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #13

I recently sold my 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE on the F53 chassis. Mine had a Davis Tru-Trac bar installed as well as a steering stabilizer. It drove like an absolute dream.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rayzorhka,

If you have the earlier chassis with the 460 V-8, you'll find the front bar bushings locally, but the rear bar bushings are almost unavailable if you want the better polyurethane ones. Seems the only place folks can find them is from this one guy on eBay.

Ford F53 Class A rear POLY sway bar bushings 1990-1997 | eBay

He also sells the rear poly bushings for the V10 models too - if that is what you have.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering