Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Factory Satellite Prep - 2005 Kountry Star Gas

I have a 2005 Kountry Star and the coach includes "satellite prep" with cables running from the forward cabinet to the roof. On my roof, there are two large square "blobs" of Dicor that are sealing something. I just watched the RV Geeks wifi installation and their satellite access cover on the roof appears to be back from the forward cabinet and not where I was expecting it to be.

Has anyone with a similar vintage coach opened this access cover and hopefully taken photos? Looking for some guidance on where this panel is located on the roof.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"vettenuts"......I'm willing to bet that the satellite connections on your coach will be pretty useless, especially if you intend to install something like the Winegard Traveler. In 2005, they used the old style cable and typically ran just one coax line and a 12 volt line to power the old domes.

The only value would be if the old coax WAS NOT stapled or tied to the framework and you could actually pull new cable with the old. My 2005 Diplomat came with the old style coax and 12 volt lead. Once I replaced my dome with the open face HD antenna, I had to run new coax on the roof.

Again, if you install something like the Winegard traveler, it runs two coax cables and one control cable, so you'll need all new cable.

In my Diplomat, you could remove the florescent lights from the ceiling and see the cable(s) under the one just behind the driver's seat. Take a look at anything in your ceiling that might be near where you suspect the cables might be and look behind it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have the DP version of the KS. These pics illustrate how mine was set up. I agree with Don's assessment of the utility of the cabling you may find. It wasn't of value when installing my Travler. I covered up the factory cable port and ran the new cables thru the front cap into the TV cabinet below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	118482   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	118483  

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	118484  
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on using this access for satellite, rather a wifi booster. If I look at your first photo, one of the Dicor patches on my coach is in the same vicinity of the one you show in the photo behind where your dome was located. However, I also have a second patch up near where your whip antenna is near the horns. My horns are more forward and I believe actually on the cap. I was expecting the forward patch to be the access point, however it appears it may be the more rearward patch hence my confusion.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey vettenuts,

If you don't need physical access to the wifi booster to hook up a cable (as in my install), consider running the cable from the booster antenna on the roof down the refrigerator chimney and plugging in to the 120V outlet at the bottom of that stack. Mine has worked fine except for the occasions when I have to reboot the unit and therefore have to go outside and remove the access panel to unplug and replug it. Much less invasive and work, maybe.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"vettenuts".....On my Diplomat, I was surprised to find a huge hole under the horns where the airline comes up. There was enough room to probably feed what you want to feed down to the front cap. I wish I had discovered that when I installed my first sat. You might want to remove one of the airline covers and take a peak.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Thanks for all the information. If I can ever get back to the coach (currently in indoor storage and we are getting another blizzard) I need to get up there and look again.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The forward patch was for Satellite Radio antenna.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #9

OK, thanks. I do have two antennas on the roof. One is a whip and the other is a black thicker whip. I thought one was the CB, not sure on the other unless it is for the AM/FM radio.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
AM/FM more than likely. Some rig's of that vintage has a CB antenna (thick base with whip) and two AM/FM antennas. One for the radio and the other was hooked up to the entertainment center that had an FM tuner. The Sirius/XM antenna is small flat, square & black. Hope that helps.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #11

Thanks, yes that helps as well.

Tags
gas, satellite