Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Faded graphics

Could some direct me to a thread that discusses companies that will remove and redo graphics on an older RV (2000).
The graphics don't have to look like the original.
Thanks
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #2

There use to be a product called "Awesome" that would bring back the color in existing graphics. Don't know if it is still available. I got it at the Dollar Store.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
There use to be a product called "Awesome" that would bring back the color in existing graphics. Don't know if it is still available. I got it at the Dollar Store.
Dollar General carries Awesome. It's cheap too.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

How large and fancy are the graphics and extensive the damage. Owners have taped off and painted over faded and cracked graphics close colors and made them look way better. Some fancy newer designs could be pretty challenging. You can find some threads.
There are (Google : vinyl decal & graphic restorer ) products as well.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I've re-done the exterior graphics on two class A's, it,s a partial DIY job if you are able work off of a ladder and have some time and patience. It is labor intensive removing the old graphics. The more dry and cracked they are the longer it takes to get them off, and a vinyl graphics/sign shop will charge you handsomely to do it. I Think most vinyl grahic/wrap sign shops would be able to do the work. I did all the prep work myself, gave the graphic shop the design and they produced the design and installed the vinyl for around $2500.00 cad . I used a high quality UV resistant vinyl and it looks good almost 10 years on. If your fiberglass gel coat is oxidized you'll have ghosting lines where the old graphics were, especially if you change the design, but if you polish the coach afterward with a good cut polish it will blend the old graphic lines in so they are hardly noticeable. I would stray away from a restorer type wipe on product as it won't last long... Good luck with your project!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Labor intensive effort but you can cut the costs down by removing the old graphics. Not all that difficult with an electric drill and a 3M eraser wheel along with a heat gun, scraper and mineral spirits or acid tone. Be careful with acid tone as it can damage plastics and paints. Coming up with replacement graphics is a little harder on the budget.

The black graphic on my rig was basically sun stroked. Removed with the 3M wheel and used the out line to mask off and painted with single stage automotive paint. Cost me around $225 in material including the paint gun.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3162209&rt=rud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160604_154309.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	323618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_172712.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	323619  

Old 04-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
All great ideas! Mine are not peeling at all, just a little faded from the Arizona sun. I'll try a little restorer liquid first. If that doesn't work, I'll try peeling them off myself. If I screw that up (good chance by the way), I'll look for someone who does it for a living. Gotta support local business!
Thanks all.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01271.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	323644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01241.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	323645
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

I used rattle can vinyl spray paint on mine two years ago and it seems to be holding up. It didn't fill existing cracks in the decals but still looks ten times better.

SEM Color Coat is such a paint comes in a lot of colors.

This 3M vinyl tape is great for masking sharp curves.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-PN2510-Ind.../dp/B00HD2BNLI
Old 04-03-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
All great ideas! Mine are not peeling at all, just a little faded from the Arizona sun. I'll try a little restorer liquid first. If that doesn't work, I'll try peeling them off myself. If I screw that up (good chance by the way), I'll look for someone who does it for a living. Gotta support local business!
Thanks all.Attachment 323644Attachment 323645
Just my opinion, but don't waste your time or money on the rub on restorer, it will only last a couple of months, and will just delay the inevitable. A hair dryer and your fingers work really well if the decal isn't cracked, you can work the edge free and then use the dryer on the leading edge as you slowly peel behind it. Otherwise do as sweet briar explained with the scraper and 3m wheels.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #10

Any company that wraps vehicles could be a source to look for an answer. I've never contracted to have a vehicle wrapped so I don't know how expensive it would be. But I do know they wrap the big buses used in public transportation.
J n J Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #11

There are RV paint and body shops around the country that specialize in such work, here is a link to one in Texas, though note their work is not cheap Xtreme Paint & Graphics Home
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
Thanks all.Attachment 323644Attachment 323645
Or you could head south of the boarder - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pai...es-255734.html

https://www.facebook.com/navarrosdobyshop/