Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Falken tires....and age

Looking for any experience with Falken tires on RV. I have had them on my truck and currently on my car, good experiences both. I have dealer here in town offering me Falken RI 128 Eco Run tires at a very good price, he claims to have excellent track record for these on trucks he services. They look similar to tread on the Goodyear 647's I am going to take off, at least I think I am going to take off! I am going in tomorrow for 2 Michelin XRV's on steer tires, but am wondering about need for them on rear.

Currently tires on my rig are just passing their 6th birthday, if it were a trailer I would run them another year maybe 2. Sort of un-comfortable with the 6 year olds on front, and want to change anyway since they are mis-matched brands due to PO run flat.

So...need to change out rears just turning 6 per DOT dates, or get by another year? Local RV dealer says change at 7.

But still want to hear about the Falkens if anyone can give me feedback

Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, looks like no one is running Falken truck tires...

Found your tire listed on Falken site, looks like it's the next size down on the 19.5's. Assuming that's what you have on that coach...

Mine has 245-70-19.5's, and the RI 128 show up at 225-70. I would check the load carrying and make sure there's plenty of reserve for your axle weight.

As far as mileage or longevity, they're probably fine. Falken is part of Sumitomo - all are the 'cheap brand' tire but seem to get decent reliability reviews for most applications.

What's the price on them? If they're half the price of the XRV's they might be worth trying them out.

I put new XRV steers on at 10 years, and new outside duals. The insides were clean - no cracks whatsoever, so we left them on for another year or two. I think they are dot date '03 so we're getting up there. I thought I would replace the last two here pretty soon - they can make a helluva racket if they blow out and take the inner fender well with them. LOL.

Seems to me OEMEY or one of the workhorse regulars were running Sumitomos and were happy with them. Cheap price too, like $275 or so. The XRV's run $475 installed here...OUCH!

EDIT: I did some more poking around looking for local pricing for these tires. Looks like they are now a 245-70 size but couldn't get any online pricing on them.
Toyo's come up here but my truck tire guy says I wouldn't like they way they ride - nothing like the XRV's.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode
My only response, I will check back on size and see, told him 245/70r19.5, and no not nearly 1/2 the price but about 100 lower each
Hi Tom,
got your thanks and thought if it could benefit anyone else why not post it?

If now is the time to buy tires, $400 wouldn't be enough to keep me from buying the Michelins. Or Goodyears.

That's the main reason I went with new XRV's again, it just wasn't enough of a cost difference to take the risk in my mind. On the other hand a lot of folks believe there's just not much difference and we're just paying extra for a name brand and all their advertising. I just don't know for sure. <shrug>

I do know there are cheap tires for cars and motorcycles that definitely are inferior to their name brand competitors. Others are just as good but don't last as long. I know there is a difference in rubber compounds and materials used to build tires. I have never liked stuff that comes out of Indo-China, but quality seems better out of Japan.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post

EDIT: I did some more poking around looking for local pricing for these tires. Looks like they are now a 245-70 size but couldn't get any online pricing on them.
Toyo's come up here but my truck tire guy says I wouldn't like they way they ride - nothing like the XRV's.

Just had 6 Toyo M143 225/70-19.5 load range G put on my 2000 Suncruiser and the ride is very good. Total cost out the door was $2647. Ride much better than Goodyears.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Will report...

Well I went and did it. Dropped the MH off at the tire shop today and am having 2 Falken ri128 Ecorun tires RI-128 ECORUN TIRE | Falken Tire put on steer position. They appear to be a top quality tire and reasonably priced. I was quoted $840 for 2 michelin xrv but when I got there they were date coded almost a year and a half old...couldn't bring myself to do that. Then heard and read some not so complimentary stuff on the XRV's. I read a lot about the falkens and, other than not being able to find anyone with them on there motorhome on this forum, all was good. Place I got them from was very enthusiastic about them and have had very good success with them. If worst comes to worst I will move them back and get something else on front. Deal was pretty good, $590 out the door mounted balanced. Will report back when I pick up and take a test ride.

Fingers crossed.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
just back from 1200 mile trip, tires feel good, nice ride steers like it is on rails. Hope they last as far as drying goes. Time will tell. Likely will move these to the rear soon with another 2 and put michelins on front. That is what I am thinking anyway.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw I had posted here quite some time ago. Ended up getting all four rears in sumitomo for about $1200. So far they are great, very nice heavy duty tire from Japan. XRV's on the front, very happy. The best old tire is a spare.
Unit is 12 years old now, 35k miles.

Tags
tires