Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

Fall RVing

Now that summer is almost over (for those of us not in the sunny palm-treed south) how many go RVing in the fall? I think it would be gorgeous to travel/sit in beautifully fall coloured settings! Any suggetions, comments, tips? We have enjoyed our motorhome this summer, but looking to making at least one more trip before winterizing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #2

We camp year round try to at least go one time a month, but agree fall is my favorite it is beautiful cooler and less crowded
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We camp mostly in the fall, and early spring. The campgrounds are not as busy and far more peaceful and quiet at night. The campfires seem more inviting in the cooler evenings than in the hot summer. I winterize when I am completely sure I done with the coach. Go for it. Fall is beautiful. Safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is so miserable down here during the summer, we don't even go out. Fall is like a breath of fresh air and unless it's really cold we can camp most of the winter.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:54 AM   #5

We camp all the way through mid November. Then head south after Christmas until spring and start back home and do the cycle all over again.
You will enjoy the camp fires much more in the fall!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
MPH

We have always enjoyed fall camping for reasons already mentioned. To conserve propane we use an electric blanket and sleep in a very cool coach. Then in the mornings when it's cold we supplement the furnace heat with a small ceramic electric heater.

I cook on a 1300 watt induction cooktop and use a crockpot sometimes. Only fire up the oven if I make a casserole or biscuits. (We have a convection-microwave, but the convection fan is bent or something and makes a horrible racket if I run the convection oven. So, I don't.)

No real secret to fall camping, except to be prepared for unexpected temp drops. Enjoy the beautiful fall sites and crisp air!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
We camp mostly in the fall, and early spring. The campgrounds are not as busy and far more peaceful and quiet at night. The campfires seem more inviting in the cooler evenings than in the hot summer. I winterize when I am completely sure I done with the coach. Go for it. Fall is beautiful. Safe travels.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Fall Camping is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Fall is the best time to camp with a nice campfire at night. The stars seem brighter in the nice crisp air.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #9

Fall camping is the best, kids back at school, your pick of campsites. Don't count out Winter camping too! Here in B.C. I camp year round. Simply winterize, use bottled water and the campground Facility's. It's awesome.
Enjoy,
Ted
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Fall camping is the best! We live in Alabama and there are so many reasons: fall colors are gorgeous in the eastern US, football games are a ton of fun, beach visits are less traffic, much cooler weather to enjoy places we have never visited. I just love the fall!

We also have mild winters most of the time and I find that is a great time to go also. Nothing better than a sitting around a campfire talking with folks.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fall and spring camping is the best. I prepared yesterday and bought a couple of flannel shirts.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh man...I should have never read this post! Now that we have our MH, this is something I have wanted to do, but have yet to make the time. With temps still hitting triple digits, and will continue for the foreseeable future, I'm just struggling to get the coach out and prepped. But, it's coming....rest assured about that!!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Oh man...I should have never read this post! Now that we have our MH, this is something I have wanted to do, but have yet to make the time. With temps still hitting triple digits, and will continue for the foreseeable future, I'm just struggling to get the coach out and prepped. But, it's coming....rest assured about that!!
Just do it and it'll become some of the best camping you've had. I've met some really great people in the fall, their just enjoying what I love peace and quite. I have friends that I have met from Nova Scotia in the fall camping, and now they visit us every fall at my S&B, I have dumping and power as well as water and Wi Fi. We have a great time. I'm heading out in Oct for a week and can't wait.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let me point out a couple of tips for camping in the winter or late fall if you are somewhere that it gets cold early.

1. Most class A MH heats their water tanks and valve area with a line from one of the propane heaters. If you use electric heaters then you are not heating that area. I use a small manual thermostat/ control heater. PUt it in the wet bay area with the temp turned as low as possible. It will keep your wetbay area from freezing and you do not have to run the propane heater just to heat the wet bay area. This is of course provided you are hooked to shore power or are running your generator.

2. When it gets below freezing unless you have a heated hose the hose and the shore water are subject to freezing. If the campground has a frost free spicot that will not work with a hose attached to it. When the temp is going to be below freezing make sure your fresh water tank has water in it then disconnect and drain your fresh water hose before going to bed at night.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving