Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

False Alarms from TPMS Systems

Twice on a single trip this last July I received false low pressure alarms from my TPMS (Tire SafeGuard). I think (but am not sure) that the two alarms came from different sensors - so I am hesitant to concude that this is a result of bad sensors. Scared the daylights out of me, but after pulling over the pressure on the tires read just fine, and the TPMS went back to reading the correct pressure. Could be low batteries I guess, but the monitor is supposed to indicate low batteries, and it is not.

Have other people using TPMS systems (Tire Safeguard or others) experienced low pressure false alarms, or should I look at replacing system or sensors?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

Usually when I get a false alarm, it's because the system has lost its connection with the sensor. Usually caused by a dead battery.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #3

I experienced this same issue two weeks ago on one sensor. It showed the pressure dropping from 100 psi to 85 to 75. I was in heavy traffic and could not pull over so said goodbye to my rear tire. When I could investigate it further, nothing was wrong with the tire pressure. Like you, it scared the fire out of me.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Just get used to it or you'll have to make a choice: throw the system out or go crazy. LOL
I have a TST TPMS and have used it for 2 years. It has alerted me to many pressure or temperature problems, but most were within my initial selected parameters. So I raised the parameters and that cut down on the beeping. the tires are still fine.
It did alert me to a jammed brake pad that was overheating the rotor, wheel and brake lines. that was my dumb fault, so I consider that it paid for itself then.
Still, it beeps when some sensors aren't talking, or bad batteries or for other reasons. I always check, but now consider the warnings more like "suggestions to check", not "automatic immediate emergencies".
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this theory.. This is based on years of expierence as a radio operator both professional and amateur, and on my training in electronics.

The TPMS sensors talk to the display via radio.. now what happen is either...

1: A passing vehicle has the same TPMS system and one of their sensors, on a low pressure tire, has the SAME Electronic ID as one of yours?

Answer, as they pass, at some point their sensor will be much "Stronger" and will "Capture" your receiver, setting off the low pressure alarm.

Or.. What happens if one of your sensors logs in and one of theirs then "Takes over" and sends a lower pressure?

Same thing.

I have had many false alarms, Almost always there was a vehicle that may well have had the same system I have passing me.. and soon as it passed the alarm cleared and the proper pressure was displayed once again.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Try this theory.. This is based on years of expierence as a radio operator both professional and amateur, and on my training in electronics.

The TPMS sensors talk to the display via radio.. now what happen is either...

1: A passing vehicle has the same TPMS system and one of their sensors, on a low pressure tire, has the SAME Electronic ID as one of yours?

Answer, as they pass, at some point their sensor will be much "Stronger" and will "Capture" your receiver, setting off the low pressure alarm.

Or.. What happens if one of your sensors logs in and one of theirs then "Takes over" and sends a lower pressure?

Same thing.

I have had many false alarms, Almost always there was a vehicle that may well have had the same system I have passing me.. and soon as it passed the alarm cleared and the proper pressure was displayed once again.
So ... That raises the question: when the thing alarms (loud!), how long to wait and see if the reading is false and comes back to specifications? The LAST thing I want to do is run to blow-out when I COULD have stopped....

Another point: when this happened the reading was REALLY low, like 50 or 30 psi vs my set point of 85 .... Is such a immediate loss of pressure possible?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #7

My Pressure Pro responds to pressure increase when I drive from a -20 C degree temperature in the Winter to 25 C degree heat as I drive South. This is avoidable by inflating to a lower pressure in the cold environment thus avoiding the "over pressure" alarm. The reverse is also true. When leaving the warm weather of the South and heading North,the damn thing goes off in the middle of the night as the tires cool in the Northern cold air. It is only necessary to remove the sensors in the evening as the air cools "things" off, and replace them .This resets the sensor's expectations to a lower value and all will be OK.The trip out-side for this endeavour is a royal pain in the maximus gluteous and after a pre-supper libation,totally impractical.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

I just installed the Tire Safeguard and I have had 5 false alarms.
Two on the same and three on different tires. I will admit the first was alarming as it showed from 108 lbs to 0 . However this was showing on the left front tire and it was obvious it was not 0 as it was driving fine.
This was on a 36 ft Tiffin Red. I have now installed the same Tire Safeguard on our New 2014 Phaeton and in 1,500 miles no such alarms.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Twice on a single trip this last July I received false low pressure alarms from my TPMS (Tire SafeGuard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
My Pressure Pro responds to pressure increase when I drive from a -20 C degree temperature in the Winter to 25 C degree heat as I drive South. This is avoidable by inflating to a lower pressure in the cold environment...........
That's too bad to hear about your system, MN_Traveler. But exrench, am I getting the impression here that Pressure Pro has no adjustable alarm parameters? Maybe I'm misreading.

I've had a 10 wheel TST system for a bit over a year, and have received no false alarms. Yes, the alarms have beeped from time to time, but always telling me what it was supposed to tell me. For example, I initially set the high overpressure limit at nominal +20 (as recommended), but found that climbing to altitude on a very hot day resulted in several high pressure triggers. I raised that parameter by a few pounds, and that went away. I have also gotten alarms for low battery (display), and low battery (sensor). These were mildly annoying, but useful and NOT false.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
That's too bad to hear about your system, MN_Traveler. But exrench, am I getting the impression here that Pressure Pro has no adjustable alarm parameters? Maybe I'm misreading.

I've had a 10 wheel TST system for a bit over a year, and have received no false alarms. Yes, the alarms have beeped from time to time, but always telling me what it was supposed to tell me. For example, I initially set the high overpressure limit at nominal +20 (as recommended), but found that climbing to altitude on a very hot day resulted in several high pressure triggers. I raised that parameter by a few pounds, and that went away. I have also gotten alarms for low battery (display), and low battery (sensor). These were mildly annoying, but useful and NOT false.
The Pressure Pro has adjustable parameters but I am just uncomfortable with widening them out. It would not take long to damage a tire running it 20 PSI under inflated. In a worst case scenario the tire might lose pressure slowly allowing the condition to go undetected .On the other hand 2 or 3 PSI may be all that is needed as you have done. Thanks.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Tireminder TPMS and never had a false alarm yet.

However; I did have a delayed sensor that didn't update for a bout 30 minutes when leaving home, the other tires rose in temp and pressure, but that one did not. Just about the time I began to stop, it updated and all was ok.

Diagnostics: Rule out your batteries, replace them all, and your readout, if not plugged in, make sure it is charged as well. Then go from there.

Hope this helps.

Post your conclusions and if you found out what it was for sure.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
So ... That raises the question: when the thing alarms (loud!), how long to wait and see if the reading is false and comes back to specifications? The LAST thing I want to do is run to blow-out when I COULD have stopped....

Another point: when this happened the reading was REALLY low, like 50 or 30 psi vs my set point of 85 .... Is such a immediate loss of pressure possible?
Good questions.. To the 1st.. You do not wait, you start slowing down ASAP. if in fact it is a passing vehicle falshing the alarm. it will continue to pass and your alarm will terminate when it gets a true reading from the wheel.

Sudden loss of pressure (usually to zero or dang close to it) is very possible.. Sudden loss of say 30 PSI on a 100 PSI tire, NOT so likely. Which is yet another clue.. If the alarming tire is a MH tire (high pressure) and the alarm is "Normal" for the towed (low pressure tire) good chance it's passing vehicle interference (his towed)

But till you have the experience to make that call.. Treat all alarms as true and if they quickly vanish... Clean undies and continue on your trip.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i just got back from my first trip and had my tmps go off several times on my back left tire and after 187 miles i blow the back right tire the alarm never went off for the right side.it goes off so often i just turned off the alarm and watch the monitor...
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #14

here in FL we have on i4 some test sensors in the road to talk to trucks on the road its some type of test system

i have seen some posted some where that this system plays with some after market systems like this

could be some thing to think about
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote