Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Fan not working on dash heater

I have this 1985 Pinnacle By Establishment with a 454 chevy engine the fan for the dash heater dose not work and having trouble tracing down with out wiring diagram if anyone has any ideas would appreciate the help can't seem to find any info on it Thanks
bobcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The fan switch on the HVAC control sends power to a resistor pack that uses resistors to control the different speeds. When the resistor pack goes bad, it typically only effects one or two speeds. It's often under the hood or inside the heater plenum itself. If you have no fan at all, it's either the fan motor or the dash switch. Testing for power coming out of the switch would identify if it's bad. If you can't get to a connector, use a straight pin to pierce the wire to test for voltage.

If you have power coming out of the switch, next use jumpers to connect directly to the fan wires. If it doesn't run, pull it and take to an Auto parts store, they can probably match it up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep reading about that resistor pack.. Fact is if the fan does not work AT ALL, it is NOT, and I can prove it NOT the resistor pack.

Why do I say this.. One of the wires on the resistor pack has two leads hooked to it. .This is the HIGH speed. one is "HIGH" and the other is the motor.. So HIGH will work even if the pack is bad.

On GM designed systems there are also 2 relays Low speed and High Speed, I have no clue where. And the switch itself (Had one of those fail on a car)

And there is the ever loveing FUSE. which on my coach was NOT the fuse labeled for the HEVAC but another one entierly.. With some help from OMEY's web site and the diagrams there I found the HEVAC is supposed to connect to the accessory convience terminal which on my coach is near the parking brake.. The terminal for the HEVAC was, however, vacant (power to it but no wire on it) Thankfully Damon or Workhorse, NOT SURE WHICH has a habbit of printing the function ON THE WIRE,, So there was a yellow wire that said HEVAC or AIR Conditioenr (Forget which) plugged into a DIFFERENT terminal on that same board.. This lead me to a circuit breaker,, An new breaker to replace the broken one and AHH.. (At the time (August) HEAT was not want I wanted but man did that COOL feel nice)

Tags
dash, fan, heater