Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Faulty ABS ???

I have a 2003 National Dolphin on a Freightliner Chassis with a solid ABS light coming on every now and then. Is there any basic check I can perform prior to taking this to a dealer. I am a newbie with this RV so welcome any thoughts. I also live in a rather remote area of Canada with any meaningful dealership over 200 km away.
Thank you for any advice.
well2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The ABS system runs checks every time the ignition is turned on , and if all the sensors check ok the light goes out.
For the light to come on while diving , I'd expect that the main controller is loosing signal from one sensor or getting an out of range calculation due to a poor connection or debris on the sensor or tone wheel ( the rotating multi-ribbed piece that the sensor counts from ) .
Without reading the code while the light is on you can't be sure what the problem is , but about the only DIY would be to remove the sensors from their mountings and clean them ( they are magnetic and can attract rust), and inspect the wiring connections too.
Here's a file on the ABS system I have for my 99 chassis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wabco ABS.pdf (1.78 MB, 39 views)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hadd the same problem...ABS would come on while driving and stay on anywhere from five minutes to a couple hours.

Took it to the dealer and they cleaned the sensors which cured the problem.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

First of all, get the blink code. The instructions are in the wabco manual. You should be able to locate the button to push under your dash area near the steering wheel. Contact meritor tech support, google for number. The techs will help you identify your system and help you interpret the fault codes. With the age of your rig, check the continuity of each sensor, at the sensor and the ECU. Must be at least 1200 ohms. I he'd a similar issue with my rig. Dealers wanted $1000 to replace the ECU before they did any trouble shooting. With help from tech support, I found I had 3 bad sensors. Cost me $75 for parts.
zanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some confusion here? The Dolphin is a gas chassis coach and a 2003 is almost certainly on a Workhorse W22 chassis, not Freightliner. But either chassis would have ABS brakes and the comments here apply either way.

The most common fault with ABS is a broken or corroded wiring harness to one or more wheel sensors. I'd start by looking underneath for dangling wires near each wheel.

The diesel National RV models were the Tropi-cal, Tradewinds and Islander and all used Freightliner chassis.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Not a mechanic so can't help with your question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

Agree with everyone else about getting the codes, however one quick trick that may help out is to tap the sensors in at each wheel. Sometime the sensors will get pushed back away from the tone ring on the hub by a piece of debris. Just bump them in until they stop with the rubber handle end of a hammer. They will only move a tiny bit, so don't use a bunch of force. Very easy if you have disc breaks. If they're drum, you will have to pull the rubber grommet out of the backing plate where the wire passes through and use a small punch to push it in, just be careful to not damage the wire. Hope it helps.
RacerFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs