Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Fiber Glass rejuvination

I've followed several posts about using Red Max Pro #3 to seal and shine oxidized dull fiberglass exterior surfaces on some MH's. I set out on a quest to locate the materials needed start the project, however I've run into a snag trying to find Red Max #3 in 1 Gallon amounts. I've tried 5 different Lowes and even tried Lowes.com, but can only find it in 5 gallon containers. Lowe's people tell me they must have quit making it in gallon amounts or changed packaging or product description from #3. I've found 1,2,4 but no 3. Can anyone shed a little light, I'd like to locate it because my arms getting a little sore from 3M's product, even though it works well.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

I live north of Dallas and purchased a gallon this week. Others have had difficulty locating the product, even calling the store, who says they don't have it, only to later visit the store and what-a-you-know... there it is!

Anyway, I did do a search on the Lowe's website and found it no problem so I'm pretty sure you can order it.

If for some reason you can't find it. I read on another thread that Red Maxx Pro #3 is made by Zep and is the same thing as Zep High Gloss Floor Finish sold at Home Depot. For some reason the Home Depot stuff is more expensive. $28 vs $16.

Im sure you've done your research, but please be aware that eventually you'll have to strip this stuff off and re-apply it. This is no small job. The reason I bring it up is because I'm in the middle of doing it right now. I'm doing a section at a time, but must admit, the results are absolutely stunning.

BTW... Red Maxx Floor Stripper #1 does a good job used full strength on the old acrylic finish where it HAS NOT started to crack and peel. In the areas that have hardened enough to crack and peel, getting the finish off is a real bear.

Parts of my finish began to crack and peel because I neglected to do my annual maintenance coat(s). Going forward, I'll put a maintenance coat or two on every 8 month to a year, then just plan on doing a complete strip and re-apply every 4 years. If you get to it before it starts to crack and peel, stripping really isn't that hard, just time consuming.

BTW... I used Vertglas originally. I think the Red Maxx Pro #3 does a better job with less coats. I put 8 coats of Vertglas on 4 years ago. After stripping, I'm going back with only 5 coats of RedMaxx Pro and it looks great.

So far the only thing I like better about Vertglas is the applicators. They are sold at www.marinestore.com and come in various sizes. They work much better than a folded up micro fiber towel.

Hold this info has been helpful... And good luck with your project!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I live north of Dallas and purchased a gallon this week. Others have had difficulty locating the product, even calling the store, who says they don't have it, only to later visit the store and what-a-you-know... there it is!

Anyway, I did do a search on the Lowe's website and found it no problem so I'm pretty sure you can order it..
At one time, it was discontinued and wasn't on their website. Apparently, however, it appears they have resumed stocking it. The search engine on Lowes' is worthless as...well, it's pretty worthless, but a Google search within Lowes' domain came up with this.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
At one time, it was discontinued and wasn't on their website. Apparently, however, it appears they have resumed stocking it. The search engine on Lowes' is worthless as...well, it's pretty worthless, but a Google search within Lowes' domain came up with this.
That's exactly what I found... and exactly how I found it... doing a Google search.

BTW... In my post above I got the name wrong of the Home Depot version of this product. The name is "Zep Wet Look Floor Finish". It can be seen on the Home Depot website at this link: Zep Wet Look

Oh... and the price is $25 not $28. My bad.

Now my disclaimer... I read about Zep Wet Look Floor Finish on another forum. On that forum, someone got the manufacturer's name off the back of the Red Maxx Pro #3 bottle (Which was Zep Industries) and someone else called Zep and asked. Zep confirmed that Red Maxx Pro #3 and Zep Wet Look Floor Finish are the exact same thing, except in different bottles. One is sold exclusively through Lowe's, the other exclusively through Home Depot. My disclaimer is... I read this on a forum and I have no actual experience with Zep Wet Look of my own. Maybe I can dig around and find that forum thread again.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all and the link was very helpful. I drove south to 2 other Lowes today, what a fiasco. You definitely can't get it on line, or maybe you can, but they've (Lowes) has made it so difficult, frustrating and confusing that I gave up. I've also tried to order it from the one store available and have it shipped to my nearest store, but that too became impossible. The store that shows in stock is 80 miles away with a $79 shipping fee. . This has become quite a challenge, and Lowes isn't much help.....but I will prevail, I'm determined I WILL get a gallon of this stuff......maybe. I only wish someone one the other end of (Lowes Contact Us) really reads what we send them pleading for their help. Tomorrows a fresh new day, but I will launch a telephone quest, it may be cheaper.
Again thanks for the reply's. Links and info very helpful .
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I used ZEP #3 home depot $15.00 gal same stuff works like magic.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red Max Pro #3

The quest has ended. Armed with all all the information in these posts I was able to fill a sympathetic ear at my nearest Lowes and the mgr of the flooring section was able to find a store with 60 gal. He arranged with the other store to have a few sent to his store, I should have it it 4-5 days. The info on ZEP Industries was good to know for future ref. Ain't it great that we the (iRV2) people can help Lowes find themselves.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a follow up. Found out it takes 1 Gallon to the drop to do the whole rig roof and all. What a difference. I think back on the days and hours I invested in 3M, it took only 2 days for the entire Red Max Process, and it's beautiful, luv the stuff!!. Love it so much that I went back and got 2 more gallons to have on hand. Usually when something works that fast and good, you can never find it again. My local Lowes ordered 10 more gallons from the one store that had it. Also used it on the dull black side view mirrors, they look new, ...who needs chrome. The final test is durability, I let ya all know in 8 months.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We just finished doing the red ax pro thing. All I did was first wash with krud cutter, then we applied the five coats. On good tip, get spray bottles plus get a mop or swifter with a microfiber head. It prevents a lot of up and down. The parts you can reach by hand just spray and wipe with a microfiber cloth.
Next thing we are going to get is the waterless washing system. I think they call it Aerowash.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post

Im sure you've done your research, but please be aware that eventually you'll have to strip this stuff off and re-apply it. This is no small job. The reason I bring it up is because I'm in the middle of doing it right now. I'm doing a section at a time, but must admit, the results are absolutely stunning.

BTW... Red Maxx Floor Stripper #1 does a good job used full strength on the old acrylic finish where it HAS NOT started to crack and peel. In the areas that have hardened enough to crack and peel, getting the finish off is a real bear.

Parts of my finish began to crack and peel because I neglected to do my annual maintenance coat(s). Going forward, I'll put a maintenance coat or two on every 8 month to a year, then just plan on doing a complete strip and re-apply every 4 years. If you get to it before it starts to crack and peel, stripping really isn't that hard, just time consuming.

BTW... I used Vertglas originally. I think the Red Maxx Pro #3 does a better job with less coats. I put 8 coats of Vertglas on 4 years ago. After stripping, I'm going back with only 5 coats of RedMaxx Pro and it looks great.

So far the only thing I like better about Vertglas is the applicators. They are sold at MarineStore.com - Boat Accessories, Cleaning and Maintenance Products and come in various sizes. They work much better than a folded up micro fiber towel.

Hold this info has been helpful... And good luck with your project!
Pardon me but I am a bit confused. It sounds like the Red Max product both is an oxidation remover and sealer, while the Vertglas product has separate products for these two process. Thus I question whether the Red Max can do both processes better.

Also, why does the Red Max need to be stripped. The Vertglas product description sounds like recoating with the sealer is all that is necessary for maintenance once the oxidation is removed.

Lastly, I assume one needs to be careful to work around graphics with either product--Right?

I am just making sure I get the right product.

Thanks
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
Pardon me but I am a bit confused. It sounds like the Red Max product both is an oxidation remover and sealer, while the Vertglas product has separate products for these two process. Thus I question whether the Red Max can do both processes better.

Also, why does the Red Max need to be stripped. The Vertglas product description sounds like recoating with the sealer is all that is necessary for maintenance once the oxidation is removed.

Lastly, I assume one needs to be careful to work around graphics with either product--Right?

I am just making sure I get the right product.

Thanks
I see your confusion.

Red Max Pro #3 IS NOT an oxidation remover. It - like Vertglas - is an acrylic sealer.

You are correct that Vertglas is a multi-step process. The steps are:
1) Using White scrub pad remove oxidation with vertglas #1 - Oxidation remover.
2) Wash RV with Vertglas #2 RV/Boat Wash
3) Apply 6 to 8 coats of Vertglas #3 Sealer

When using the Red Maxx Pro product simply replace products as follows:
1) Using white scrub pad remove oxidation with BarKeepers Friend.
2) Wash RV with Dawn Dishwashing detergent
3) Apply 5 coats of Red Maxx Pro #3

The Marine Store used to have the complete Vertglas instructions online, but all I could find was this condensed version at Vertglas Easy as 1-2-3

Remember, just substitute...
BarKeeprs Friend for Vertglas #1
Dawn detergent for Vertglas #2
RedMaxx Pro #3 for Vertglas #3

Make sense?

Also... you do need to be careful around your graphics in step 1 (Oxidation removal). Over scrubbing with BarKeepers friend can rub the color out of old oxidized graphics. scrub just enough to remove the oxidation.

As for Why it needs to be stripped?... It will need to be stripped periodically just like a floor with RedMaxx Pro#3 needs to be stripped periodically, then re-applied. I had to strip mine because I did not apply my annual maintenance coats and the Acrylic coating became very hard, brittle, and began to crack and peel. After years of applying maintenance coats, multiple layers of Red Maxx Pro #3 will be on your RV. This MAY cause a hazy appearance and the only way to get back that crytal clear shine is to strip and re-apply. ... just like on a floor.

Now I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I still contend that it is easier than compounding and waxing... and the end results look better and last longer.

One last thing I want to re-state from earlier post(s). I would not recomend this for newer RVs, or any RV where the original finish is still in good condition. For that I would stay with convetional waxes. Applying an Acrylic coating (RedMax #3, Vertglas, PolyGlow, etc.) should only be used when the finish on your RV has recached End-of-Life and requires constant compounding and waxing to keep any kind of shine on it. It is a cheap alternative to repainting an older RV.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Looks like this will be a spring project for me.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great idea DavDeb1. The spray bottle will definitely add to the ease of application , and touch up. Thanx
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
VTWINWILLY--Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive explanation. I appreciate the information very much.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote