Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 02:21 AM   #1

Fiberglass mounting repair

On our ‘02 Georgie Boy, the front and rear end caps are made from fiberglass. Where every they needed to mount anything, they embedded wood into the fiberglass as they built up the glass end caps.

Sadly, they didn’t use treated wood, nor did they do a good job of insuring that water wouldn’t get trapped inside of the cavities that the wood was contained - and if it did, that it could drain.

So on our coach, the anchor wood for the engine hood on one side has rotted completely and the hood hinge assembly is completely loose from the coach.

I’ve dug out the old rotted wood and I know I need to clean the cavity with glycol to kill any remaining “rot spores”, assuming I can cut and refill the cavities with wood. But I’m thinking since the cavities are vertical that maybe there is a 2-part filler that could be poured into the cavities and allowed to harden. Once hardened, screws could then again be used to anchor the hood hinge.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to use? The cavity is ~3/4” x 1-1/2” at the top and about 4” tall. Below that, it’s about 1” x 1” x 4” tall. The hood hinge screws into the upper area.

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7BAD42BE-E8DA-4EF0-A0E7-5FAB9D5D59E3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	346696   Click image for larger version

Name:	4047715C-6DD8-46F4-8C80-B89B48A94B2C.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	346697  

MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 05:44 AM   #2

I would put tape / paper around the opening to catch overflow, cut some pressure treat a bit smaller, wrap it with wet glass and plunge it into the hole and fill remaining gaps with resin and let it dry.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would cut a piece of treated lumber to the size that you can put in the void. Plug any bottom holes, could possibly use a can of low expansion foam, just make sure all holes are plugged. Get a kit of 2 part epoxy, I just bought https://www.amazon.com/System-105-B-.../dp/B07JKYCV8G
Mix the epoxy in small batches and fill the void. Then just let it harden overnight and your done.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #4

Epoxy has a typically won't stick to pressure treated wood. Probably won't matter in this case because the epoxy is just holding the wood in place.

Normal wood lasted 20 yrs the first time. I would not be concerned using it again.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Thanks guy’s! Each of you have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking to do, I just needed reassurance I was headed down the right track.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Same idea as the others, but I would first fill the void about half way with epoxy or fiberglass resin. Cut a piece of wood that will fit and then force the wood down into the half filled cavity. Once it dries, fill the remainder of the cavity.

If you use resin, first coat the wood, wrap it in fiberglass cloth and let it dry, making an encapsulated piece. Then shove it down in the pocket full of resin.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

No larger than your cavities are, I would fill them with chopped fiberglass soaked in epoxy resin.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #8

Bondo long strand mix that they use for autobody repair. Just add hardener and mix then fill. Can get in a quart size. It is thick enough that it will not run out any holes in the bottom and will hold screws well.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, fiberglass, repair