Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Fiberglass Roof 303 Application

Having the coach washed & waxed, roof in good shape with light caulking. Would like to stay away from seal/wax as really not needed! Will the 303 application help with the light caulk? Also after a good wash how is it applied? Thanks in advance!
Topcat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
It will help but does not last as long as wax. I applied with a rags and the spray nozzle. It did well for several months before needing to be reapplied
Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

Had a Entegra coach next to us while snow birding in Florida , he spent almost all day cleaning and 303ing his roof . 2 days later there was rain in the forecast. He was on his roof again removing the 303. Apparently 303 does not dry and streaks as it runs off the roof. He found out after talking with some other users. He didn't get all and it did streak.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't heard nor seen that with 303, but I've never used it on a fiberglass roof either. Used it for many years on the BriteTek roofing on our '02 Dutch Star. I'm using 303 on my front 3M mask and it doesn't streak there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean chalking? Caulk is the stuff that seals the seams...

I personally don't feel that 303 will do anything for chalking of a fiberglass roof, especially once it has already started. Chalking comes from an oxidized fiberglass surface, and some feel that regular 303 will help prevent that, but once it's there, it needs to be polished off or painted over. Dicor makes an excellent fiberglass roof paint that does the job (I used it on mine). Alternative is to use a oxidation-removing polish, but odds are it will have to be re-done in anywhere from a few months to several months. Once oxidation starts, it is hard to stop. 303 notwithstanding.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

At the risk of having some eyebrows raised, my old Winny had a fiberglass roof and poor faded paint. I used the ZEP floor sealer and it looked great. Well a whole lot better. Now I would never use it on my DP but the roof? Maybe. Who looks up there anyways? It lasts , protects and seals, and like I said, it the roof!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
At the risk of having some eyebrows raised, my old Winny had a fiberglass roof and poor faded paint. I used the ZEP floor sealer and it looked great. Well a whole lot better. Now I would never use it on my DP but the roof? Maybe. Who looks up there anyways? It lasts , protects and seals, and like I said, it the roof!
I did the same thing on mine a few years ago. After every year or two, you need to apply another coat of Zep to keep it looking good. I'm sure that it will need to be cleaned off and redone at some point, but it sure looks good now. It also eliminates the chalk streaks that I used to get running down the sides after a rain! I keep the coats thin and only put on one instead of the 4-5 coats it usually takes to make a shiny "like new" finish. Makes the roof look fine, and like you said, it's a roof..!

I wax the body of the coach, but the Zep works wonders on the fiberglass roof.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Polyglow with great success on my coach roof. It last all year and I give it a new coat every spring. It has UV Protectors that some others don't have. Never have the white streaks running down the side of the coach as before. Check it out and watch the videos..... easy to apply, bought it on Amazon.com...

Poli Glow Manufacturer of UV Protective Products for RV Boats

Good luck
Dave
Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Poli Glow and Zep are the same product, as I understand. However, the Poli Glow has the UV inhibitors that the Zep lacks. But, the Zep seems to last a year or more without touch-up even here in the AZ sun, and that's saying something!

For those who use Poli-Glow (or Zep) and need to remove it for a fresh re-coat, you can buy the remover at Home Depot under the Zep name. It is just called "Heavy Duty Floor Stripper". I used it on my rear cap to strip off the old Zep, and it now looks like new again! Don't remember the cost for sure but it's in a gallon can and was somewhere around $10. You dilute it to a quart in a gallon of water. If you apply it with a floor stripper brush and go over it a few times, it does a good job. Pretty much impossible to remove any other way, and a quart of the mix goes a long way!

FWIW, I applied the Zep over the decals on the rear cap a few years ago, and used the stripper to remove it. Amazingly, the decals don't seem any worse for wear and tear...! I was prepared to replace them, or completely remove them, but all is good.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

I used Zep on my 42' trawler, while my neighbor used Poli-Glow. After two years in Florida sun, I had to finally redo my boat on two flat surfaces. My neighbor was touching up his boat at six months. We both sold our boats, and the broker told us Poli-Glow was a negative. It turns dull quickly in bright sunlight. The Zep didn't, and was much easier to apply. They are not the same product but are very similar. Zep is also easier to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, roof