Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #43

Country Coach Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
Did you use #687? Did you cover over the roof caulking and if so how is that working? Does this prevent you from caulking again? Please advise.
Gary
As to your questions, I thoroughly washed the original roof’s fiberglass areas and around all rooftop devices. Then when it’s dry I rolled on the elastomeric coating over the majority and used a throwaway brush to coat all caulking and seams. After it had dried I’m left with a “rubberized” surface in bright white that has a tenacious bond. After 8 years of nothing but an occasional wash with soap and water, I decided to apply another coat over the original. The coating is very thin and flexible so excess buildup isn’t an issue, and the second coat bonds aggressively to the original. Over 16 years later and the roof looks terrific and never had white steaks, plus the surface is never slippery. I never had to recaulk either, but am comfortable that I could have without issue. That was my 2003 42’ Country Coach. My “new” 2016 American Coach Revolution 42G had a similar coating when I bought it in October according to the wash service I hired to detail it. Personally not a fan of roof climbs. Safe travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Oven cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
I cleaned my roof with EZ Off cold oven cleaner and a long handled scrub brush. Looks great, but of course it doesn't shine. The acid in the EZ Off, along with the scrubbing, removes the chalking.
Doesn't the acid in the oven cleaner streak the paint on the sides as it is being rinsed off the roof?
charlespierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I have a Filon roof and it was quite chalky when I bought it. I didn't want to do anything like paint or roof coatings so I used Meguiar's #50 cleaner/wax with a DA polisher. It worked great, looked very good after just one pass but I did two passes anyway, then after a few days I applied a layer of Meguiar's Flagship RV and Marine wax. It now looks like new and as the factory intended with no added paints or coatings.
Also the one piece Filon roofs are generally secured at the gutter edges by tucking the edge into a groove and held in place with a lap type sealant, you don't want to apply anything that would hide or interfere with this area as it does require regular inspection and maintenance.
Do you happen to know what is the weight limit on most fibron roofs. I weigh 240lbs. (2016 Minnie Winnie 22r)
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #46

Weight limit on Fibron roofs? (2016 Winnie Winnie 22r)

Do you happen to know the weight limit on the roof of a 2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r?
SantinoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #47

Total Boat

I used their penetrating epoxy on a section luan on the interior wall below the front passenger window that was water damaged and was getting soft. It worked well and I then painted it.

I figure a boat endures as much or more water damage and environmental hazards as an RV, so the products would cross over well.

Also, if I recall, I called them to get their advice as to what to use for my project, they were very helpful.

Dave D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
So you just used the wood hardener. $120 for polyurethane seems pretty good price. Might be ideal for getting better shine going past the edge of roof. I was going to suggest this company's aluminium paint or primer for poster had lots of bare aluminium on roof. But had no experience with it.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks Great Fire UP....and now I can see the reason for the handle FIRE UP... haha
Ecuador Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #49

After watching many repair people on YouTube they all recommend that every time the rig is washed, wash the top with a wash/ wax soap to keep the roof from chalking… good luck
webcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #50
mre

I used 303 protectant today on the roof. Wow! Cleaning was much easier. I wish I would have found this years ago.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlespierc View Post
Doesn't the acid in the oven cleaner streak the paint on the sides as it is being rinsed off the roof?
I don't have any paint, but I did wet the sides of the MH before I started. IIRC most of the water went into the gutter system of the MH.

Tags
fiberglass, roof