Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 01:04 PM   #1

fiberglass roof

Have 03 country coach while the roof is in great shape with no oxidation what is peoples opinion on caring for roof such as waxing or some sort of protection
firedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You'll get lots of opinions on this.
I struggled over the years to keep my roof maintained. Initially annual washes. I tried the Zepp floor wax once, it did OK until it didn't. Finally last year I used a small pressure washer with the round rotary head and cleaned the roof, and a straight nozzle on tight places. Did a light sanding and taped off the area I wanted to paint using the Rustoleum Topside paint. Went on smooth, did 2 coats, took a couple quarts.

So far so good, still looks good.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #3

Went the common pathway over the years - wash, scrub, compound, wax, 303, ZEP, Mop and Glow, etc. and repeat - studied all the elastomeric coatings and DW and I were ready to do it ourselves but we found out about FlexArmor (no, not "as seen on TV") and a shop in town (Fort Myers, FL) that fixes all roof blemishes/holes/etc. removes all roof addons (antenna, A/C, vents, etc.) then coats with an impervious elastomeric, adds new gaskets where required and reinstalls all the items. When done it's a transferable lifetime warranty - any penetrations from trees, lightning hits, etc. just bring it in and it gets repaired.

Yeah, we spent ten times the cost of doing the job by ourselves or even having some other spray-on type company do the job - but I do sleep better at night and I should never have to go on the roof again unless an A/C needs a repair...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

i did my old 93 vector a few years ago with dicor coating turned out good a that rood was bad. Jim how long ago did you use the topside paint
Old 12-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #5

Keep it clean. 303 will slow down oxidation.

It it looks really bad, sand and a marine top side paint.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We have a fiberglass roof, but we have 12 penetrations, and it sits outside in the FL sun when we're here (at least 50% of the time). We went with RV Roofing Solutions. Like Domo in post #3, we spent a lot more than if we had done it ourselves, but they did a great job, and I know I'll not need to be on the roof except to repair the A/C or fans. 10 year warranty, and we have friends who had theirs done 6 years ago and it's holding up perfect.

Al
Old 12-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Since it is holding up fine, just keep it clean. If you like, coat it with a liquid floor wax such as Mop & Glow. That should last about 3 months if the coach is always outside, maybe 6 months if stored inside.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:12 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
A lot of CC owners have used a product called Bus Kote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Bus Kote is a roof paint, not a preservative. There is no need to use Bus Kote or Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat or any other paint product if the roof isn't chalking or cosmetically ugly.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:39 AM   #10

the roof is in good shape as far as no oxidation although its not white but cream color and i was wondering on longevity as im not getting younger and wanting to climb on the roof a lot
Old 12-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #11

I use Optimum spray wax.... it has UV inhibitors and last 6-7 months. I get up there 2x a year, do a wash then do a quick spray and wipe. At the same time, I check the various penetrations ( vents, antenna, skylight,etc) for any potential issues and correct as necessary.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:46 PM   #12

fiberglass roof

Heres my 25 year old roof using poli glow, I canít imagine anything better or easier to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5755.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	382312
Old 12-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I got tired of the waxing as it doesn't last.
I pressure washed it and painted it with Rustolem Topside Deck paint. I used a long handle roller and gave it two coats. Looks like new and has lasted several years.
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-20...ag=googhydr-20
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #14

Here is what I do every year. Mix Awesome Cleaner with water 50/50
Use a stiff brush. Brush the roof surface. Then I wipe the roof with an old towel as I brush. I do about 3 feet at a time. Awesome cleaner is available in Dollar stores. 1.50 a bottle (concentrate.

When step one is completed I Spray the roof with ZEP Mold Stain & Mildew Remover. Spray on 3 feet at a time. Leave for a few minutes. Wipe off lightly with an old towel. Zep is available in most hardware stores.

Results: Super white roof and all of the mold is gone. Unbelievable the amount of small mold gather's on the roof. The towel will be green from mold.

38 ft RV takes me about 1 1/2 hrs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awesome and Brush.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	382346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zep Mold Cleaner 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	382347