Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Fiberglass Roof Clean and Seal

I am in the process of cleaning and prepping the roof to seal with ZEP. Tonight I started to prepare to start scrubbing the roof and cleaning. I am getting a lot of white streaks this spring so something has to be done.
In looking at the roof I am thinking the PO had sealed the roof at some point. Not sure what but I think this is quickly coming off.
I had just scrubbed the roof last week with a soft brush and soap.
Here is what the roof looks like now. You can see the darker spots which appear to be a heavier coating of what may have been applied before. In looking at last fall I assumed it had been painted but now thinking it is just a clear coating.

And here is what I am seeing all over less than one week after washing. You can see the coating flaking up and coming off. It is real loose and a light brush will remove.

And a larger section showing the previous coating.

So my question is in order to prep for re-coating do I need to remove all the old coating or will the ZEP adhere and bond with the old?
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend trying to remove all the old sealer to get the Zep to cover evenly. Although I didn't have your problem I had years of mold/mildew buildup before I cleaned last year. I used a mixture of Softscrub, Awsome, and Tide with a heavy bristle brush. On the stubborn spots I had to used a small pressure washer. The pressure washer was able to cut through the bad stuff.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I would use TSP to remove what looks like a poor quality elastomeric roof coating.
And I would also reseal with an elastomeric, like Sno-Seal, which will actually seal the roof.

If I am understanding you, you plan to use Zep floor finish as a final coat?
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I do not think it is elastomeric. Looks like more of a clear coat. I do have some places that looked like an elastomeric was brushed on.
I am considering ZEP as a final coat.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
There is no doubt Zep has fantastic product line and the floor wax is also very good.
I am not highly experienced with your situation however my first inclination would be to power wash everything first, then for the stuff that is flaking I might try products like "goof off" or "Goo Gone" I have used both on fiberglass before.

The goof off is more of a irritating/toxic fume so wear a mask. Goo Gone smells more like a orange peel product but don't let that fool you as it is a excellent cleaner and very safe.

You might also ask a person at a body shop. I have a buddy who has been in the body business for 40 years. He gets me stuff like "3M" products from a distributor that I could not get elsewhere. They (body shops) might be able to have something that is fast, effective and safe. Just a thought. Keep us posted with your progress and what you used and good luck with your project!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I am having second thoughts on the ZEP.
The Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating looks nice and may have a longer life. This comes at a price and more involved prep work.

Anyone that has used this product have feedback from long term exposure?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I am in the process of cleaning and prepping the roof to seal with ZEP. Tonight I started to prepare to start scrubbing the roof and cleaning. I am getting a lot of white streaks this spring so something has to be done.
In looking at the roof I am thinking the PO had sealed the roof at some point. Not sure what but I think this is quickly coming off.
I had just scrubbed the roof last week with a soft brush and soap.
Here is what the roof looks like now. You can see the darker spots which appear to be a heavier coating of what may have been applied before. In looking at last fall I assumed it had been painted but now thinking it is just a clear coating.
So my question is in order to prep for re-coating do I need to remove all the old coating or will the ZEP adhere and bond with the old?
Spk64
From what I can see in this pic:

The flakes do not appear to be "clear"?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes they look closer to white. Where the coating is thicker it is easier to see the clear. I think the chalking is showing through in the really thin areas.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Putting Zep over the pictured roof would just highlight in gloss all the imperfections of the surface you have now and might not adhere well.

You might have to sand the coverings off to get a smooth and uniform surface. (I have used a palm sander with 400 grit paper to sand clear coat off the gel coat.)
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Tonight thought I would try and remove the coating. First I tried some TSP and other than cleaning it nicely the coating remained.
I did not have any ammonia so thought maybe a solvent just to see if it will dissolve. Had a little MEK so tried it in a test area.
Wow I had no idea the roof looked so good underneath the coating. Smooth as glass and very clean. Tomorrow I am going to get some ZEP stripper and see if it removes the coating. It would take way too much MEK and I would probably die using that much 12' in the air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1430955601.333481.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	93583

So now after getting it all clean I am debating the finish to apply.
303 not difficult to apply, does not last long
Wax little more work, last a little longer
ZEP little more work to apply, last longer but not pleased with current coating which I suspect is a floor covering.
Dicor lots more work, last years with no maintenance except cleaning. Expensive, it is permanent so no going back.
Other elastomeric coatings, might be cheaper but not sure of life.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Question: what is MEK?

I usually look after my roof myself with Mop 'n Glow. Last year I let a professional team at an RV park clean and polish my coach. This year, the roof is looking exactly like yours. I have not been able to figure out how to remove that mess.

Regarding roof coatings. Check Home Depot. They have their own brand, Kool Seal, I think. It has a 7 year guarantee. They also have Henry brand, 5 year, 7 year, and a 10 year elastomeric coating.

I think painting the roof is a reasonable thing to do if the fiberglass is getting old and weak, starting to show cracks and deterioration. Until that time, I think a bi-annual coating with Mop 'n Glow or Zep Floor Coating is a reasonable approach.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
MEK = methyl ethyl ketone
It is pretty potent solvent used as an adhesive for some plastics.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Beginning to think I might be dealing with multiple coatings. Tried the ZEP stripper and it removed some but still looks like their might be a thin coat of white paint.
A solvent might be my only choice to remove everything.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I think you have multiple coatings. On my 2000 CC with a fiberglass roof, I was having the same basic problem with white streaks down the side of my MH. I wiped down individual sections of the roof with a damp clean rag and then waxed the section with a higher quality car wax and bingo! Problem went away completely. No more white streaks down the side of my MH.

Tags
roof, seal