Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Fiberglass roof seal??

1st time mh owner and I know nothing at this point! 1996 Monaco Signature with fibreglass roof. Want to re-seal everything. It currently has a lot of white sealant that has dried up and looks like it needs replacement. I don't have a local RV dealer, and most people only seem to have seen rubber roofs. I got an RV parts supplier catalog and there seem to be dozens of roof sealer products. What do I want? Can I just use regular GE white silicone or??? Your thoughts are appreciated.

HW
Pilgrimfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #2

I would use dicor.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I would use dicor.
X2
Don't use silicone, it will not seal completely.
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Which Dicor product do you refer to? Is it the EPDM Lap Sealant? Isn't EPDM for rubber? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Community Moderator

X3 dicor
i coated my rv roof this past weekend with dicor, it looks great. i used sponge roller and did twice, unexpectedly i only used half a gallon.

Add: if you see a large gap/crack on your roof, you can use the sealant from dicor as other members have already mentioned, or, if it were me, i would fix it with fiberglass directly - after clean, apply resin to the surface, lay the fiberglass cloth to cover the gap, apply resin again. 2-3 layers will be as strong as a rock.

for small cracks, use resin directly. after done, you can sand and paint.
you may find videos from youtube if you have never done it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

I use Dicor and a seam seal tape that is about 4 inches wide. Also I just clean with soap and water. I have also heard but have not used it. But some people use Mop and Glo to stop the white marks that run off and down the side if RV
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend using the 4" Eternabond tape on all the large openings such as skylights, vents, etc. You don't have to remove the old caulking, just clean it good with Acetone or alcohol, and the Eternabond will seal fine.
You can buy it in a 50' roll which will be less expensive per foot.

I would use the Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant on all the small openings such as TV antenna, bath vent pipes, etc. You will probably find both the Dicor 501LSW and the 502LSW. Dicor says the 502LSW is what most professional RV tech use and that it flows better.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

I agree with MS - I resealed my entire roof with 2 rolls of 4" * 50' Eternabond.

Clean the area first with laquer thinner and then lay out the eternabond and starting from one end, pull the clear protective film off and work backwards using a wallpaper edge roller to really press the Eternabond onto the roof. When it is stuck it is stuck PERMANENTLY so go steady and carefully.
It can go over old sealant just fine and that's the end of any leaks for as long as you will own the coach

My advice is get the 4" and don't try and save a few pennies by using 2" - you need that extra overlap just in case there are patches of loose old sealant that you miss.

Ebay had the best prices - I paid $114 for the 2 rolls delivered.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

Ok. So it looks like I need to find the 4" tape for any seams, and some Dicor 501 or 502LSW tubes. I think I mostly need tubes for around antennas, screws, vents, etc.. I assume tape is only for straight seams.?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the help of you experts and your patience with us necomers.

HW
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

Hello, I have a 85 elandan and also need to do something with the roof. It is in good shape and no leaks but the fiberglass is worn good, story I have not researched decor yet and just wanted to post here to keep this thread in my list for future reference. Is decor flexible for walking on which I would guess, and how much does it cost and coverage rv is 34' thanks.
cook elandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree with MSHappycampers. Take your time, do it right and it will last a long time. Eternabond is a great product just be sure to apply as directed and have it where you want it when you put it down. If not, it is a pain to remove. But when done right it will outlast you.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook elandan View Post
Hello, I have a 85 elandan and also need to do something with the roof. It is in good shape and no leaks but the fiberglass is worn good, story I have not researched decor yet and just wanted to post here to keep this thread in my list for future reference. Is decor flexible for walking on which I would guess, and how much does it cost and coverage rv is 34' thanks.
In your situation I would probably go to the hardware store and buy a 5 gallon bucket of Elastomeric. Clean the roof with soap and water and let it dry and then roller the Elastomeric on. As you have no leaks, the elastomeric will create a nice weatherproof barrier - easy to apply, lasts 5-6 years and looks good. 2 coats should do it.
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Found the Dicor 501 in my small hometown, and the local Home Hardware (Canada) ordered me a 4" x 50' roll of Eternabond tape for next week. Looks like I'm set for an adventure!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimfarms View Post
1st time mh owner and I know nothing at this point! 1996 Monaco Signature with fibreglass roof. Want to re-seal everything. It currently has a lot of white sealant that has dried up and looks like it needs replacement. What do I want? Can I just use regular GE white silicone or??? Your thoughts are appreciated.

HW
You have received two different kinds of responses.

1. To replace the white stuff that looks old (I would too riding on that roof) use self leveling dicor. I have some 18 year old Dicor that still does it job on my roof attachments.

2. To seal the entire roof surface is another topic and dicor makes a product to spread on the surface. (I think that is not your quest for the moment.)
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal