Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Filled batteries with water small spark gen now does not work

Help.
I filled the batteries and while putting the last positive terminal back on there was a small spark and I heard what I would describe as a pop or a clunk

After finishing up I tried starting my generator. Which worked just fine before I stated this batterY job.
It won't start. Nothing happens.
I checked circuit breakers. Nothing popped.
I checked the inverter converter nothing seems wrong there

Electric is not my thing. Lol

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What to check where to look etc

This is a 2000 coachman sportscoach class A
It is an onan 7.5 generator. At least I think that's the proper name.

Thx in advance for the help
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #2

You probably left the battery cable, going to the generator, off.

The clunk was probable the house disconnect or isolator solenoid engaging, once it saw battery power.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Like Twinboat said, you must have left a cable off. Recheck your connections.

For future reference, you don't need to remove any battery connections to top up the water in the batteries.
If you do need to remove cables for any reason, ALWAYS remove the NEGATIVE cable first, then the Positive. When reinstalling, put the POSITIVE cable on first and the the Negative last. This will avoid causing undue shorts to ground and big sparks.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #4

i am confident that all is hooked up right. i did not forget to add the cable however i twas that cable the did spark.

the question now is what do i check? is there something else to check other t hen the circuit breaker or the inverter converter.

thanks for the help and info..
Old 10-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

oh and the reason for removing the cables was due to the battery slide for filling the batteries would not open as it was butt up against the cable. it had to be removed to turn the slide. i moved the cable over a bit so when i put it back on so that i did not need to remove in future. thanks again and hoping some one has some more suggestions.
very frustrating to fix one thing and to end up with another situation LOL
Old 10-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your battery disconnects, if they are relay driven then they would open after losing power. If they are mechanical they should still be on.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

Your saying the large cable that goes to the generaror sparked ?

That cable should go to a HI-Amp, resetable breaker nearby, then to the generator.

The generator uses the chassis ground near the batteries and near the generator as the negative wire.

That's where you need to check. The converter and inverter use negative cables to the battery.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you don't have the high amp resetabble circuit breatker, then you might have blown a high amperage buss fuse. Look for something like below. Check the voltage across the fuse. If there is zero voltage the fuse is good, but if you get a voltage reading then the fuse is blown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse-300amp.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	142801  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you don't have the high amp resetabble circuit breatker, then you might have blown a high amperage buss fuse. Look for something like below. Check the voltage across the fuse. If there is zero voltage the fuse is good, but if you get a voltage reading then the fuse is blown.
Great advice on how to check the fuse ...w voltage .
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As suggested, does a switch need to be turned on near the door entrance? With the batteries disconnected it would need to be cycled back on.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, led, water