Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #43

Filling Butane to 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
The propane gauge in my 2016 Phaeton is calibrated to 100% gauge reading when the tank is physically 80% filled with liquid, which also agrees with the gauge in the coach. Since the tank is located horizontal their is adequate vapor space. We always fill to 100% gauge reading without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My gauge is not calibrated like that.

The fill vavle shuts down and it spits gas out the vent, when the gauge is around 3/4, outside and in.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment, to change it.

This is pretty standard and normal.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Reading this conversation implies that you stop filling the propane tank at 80% on the gauge. The propane gauge in my 2016 Phaeton is calibrated to 100% gauge reading when the tank is physically 80% filled with liquid, which also agrees with the gauge in the coach. Since the tank is located horizontal their is adequate vapor space. We always fill to 100% gauge reading without any problems.
horizontal or vertical 80% is 80% but the correct gauge stetting is when the gauge reads full when filled to the 80 % level both on the tank and on the remote read out
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Disagree with 80% is 80%. This would only be true if you were measuring volume, however the gauge reading is level in height. Therefore the vapor space is larger in a horizontal tank when filled to 80% level than a vertical tank. Unless maybe the tank is a sphere.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Disagree with 80% is 80%. This would only be true if you were measuring volume, however the gauge reading is level in height. Therefore the vapor space is larger in a horizontal tank when filled to 80% level than a vertical tank. Unless maybe the tank is a sphere.
That sounds like fuzzy math. They are reading volume. 80% is 80%.

The vapor space is wider but thinner.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
horizontal or vertical 80% is 80% but the correct gauge stetting is when the gauge reads full when filled to the 80 % level both on the tank and on the remote read out
So, are you saying I am wrong ?

Am I, along with the filling attendents, somehow miss-reading my gauge, when the tank stops filling and the needle is pointing at 3/4 ?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
That sounds like fuzzy math. They are reading volume. 80% is 80%.

The vapor space is wider but thinner.
When you look at 1000 pound or 500 pound bullet tanks the idea is that there's more surface area within the tank to allow the conversion from liquid to vapor. These are normally used to supply devices that need to be replenished constantly.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
When you look at 1000 pound or 500 pound bullet tanks the idea is that there's more surface area within the tank to allow the conversion from liquid to vapor. These are normally used to supply devices that need to be replenished constantly.
Sure, but that's because 20% of 1000 gallons is twice as much as 20% of 500 gallons. Its still 20% of the volume, used as head space, when full.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 AM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Sure, but that's because 20% of 1000 gallons is twice as much as 20% of 500 gallons. Its still 20% of the volume, used as head space, when full.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #51

Quote:
So, are you saying I am wrong ?

Am I, along with the filling attendents, somehow miss-reading my gauge, when the tank stops filling and the needle is pointing at 3/4 ?
no your not misreading just your tank float is set wrong. most LPG tank makers set the the 80% mark as the full mark its at its legal fill mark
I sold and installed LPG tanks for years and that the way it is
I have a 2008 allegro bus and when the tank is filled to the legal 80% mark
my gauge reads full as its supposed to
Old 12-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #52

Quote:
look if u have a 75 gallon tank it takes 60 gallons to fill it to legal fill mark
it matters not if you lay it down or stand it up it still has 60 gallons
that means you have space for 15 gallons
if you stand up the tank or lay down the tank it will still take the same 15 gallons to fill it full. so my point is its takes 3465 cubic inches to accept a 15 gallon volume no matter if its vertical or horizontal
Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #53

Does surface area of the exposed fuel come into play?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
no your not misreading just your tank float is set wrong. most LPG tank makers set the the 80% mark as the full mark its at its legal fill mark
I sold and installed LPG tanks for years and that the way it is
I have a 2008 allegro bus and when the tank is filled to the legal 80% mark
my gauge reads full as its supposed to
I think MOST is a pretty broad statement.

There are hundreds of post in RV forums claiming that their tank gauges read 3/4 when the tank is full.

" SOME LPG tank makers " would be a better statement.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Worthy of mention certain dealers fraudulently substitute butane for propane.
There is nothing "fraudulent" about that. You are buying LP (Liquified Petroleum) gas, not "propane" or "butane". In warmer climates, the LP blend typically contains a higher percentage of butane because that performs better at higher ambient temperatures. Butane-rich LP, however, may not work well if you move to a cold climate because it doesn't vaporize as well at low temps. The bottom line is that the LP blend is a regional difference, not malfeasance on the part of the retailer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Worthy of mention certain dealers fraudulently substitute butane for propane. Something I had never heard of until reading it here on iRV2.

*snip*
The whole quote says propane not LP. Taking it out of context is serving the wrong side of the issue. Substituting butane while selling "propane" is an issue.

Selling soy milk as cows milk is an issue. I don't mind your qualifier if you had noted if it's advertised as LP.