Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Just came back from camping in the enfield of the NASCAR race in California. I purchased an electric pump from Harbor Freight and pumped 12 gallons into he water tank in about a minute. Had two small sections of hose. Placed one hose in the water source and connected to the pump. Connected the second hose to the city water hookup and the other end of the hose to the other side of the pump. Turned valve to fill water tank and turned pump on.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #16

Our 2000 National SeaBreeze motorhome doesn't have a gravity fill either. What it does have is the ability to screw a hose onto the city water hook-up and use on-board pump to fill the tank from a bucket, stream, lake, or whatever body of water you happen to be camping near. Whether this is useful or not depends on your situation, but I have used it several times at various music festivals.

Your rig might have a similar set-up.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #17

Filling water tank without city water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Why do you need a gravity fill? Our coach doesn't have one and I've never needed or wanted one.

The OP needs one. I have one and sometimes need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippinhead View Post
We own a 2012 Thor Serrano 34M. I cannot find any way to fill the water tank without a city water connection. There is no gravity feed fill anywhere.
Does anyone know if this can be done?

I had an 11 Serrano. There is no gravity fill point on them. When there is no city water at your site, you must take it to one of the camp water stations.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #18

I use a 40 gallon wakeboard ballast bag when dry camping to fill back up. Hook up a 12 volt pump plugged into the toad and fill up.
Folds up flat when not in use and come in all different sizes with fittings built in.
Hittntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #19

my 2004 Sea Breeze does not have a gravity fill port either. This is something that i wished that it had. We go boondocking for weeks at a time outside of civilization and routinely take (3) 55 gallon barrels of extra water. Getting it in the motorhome has been a challenge.

In my old travel trailer, Id simply use a cheap harbor frieght pump with a hose to the trailer and a hose shoved in the barrel. I could empty a barrel in 10 minutes.

In the motorhome now, I hook the output hose to the water inlet, turn it to tank fill and fire up the pump.

What has happened is it pumps SLOW and has burned up my pump (figured harbor Freight so no surprise) and then also a friends that was with me. This set of alarms......2 pumps??

The screen strainer is clean but there seems to be too much resistance to allow the water in from the power of the pump cause it to get HOT and burn up.

What I was able to do is connect the water hose to the "pump fill" inlet on the motorhome and drop the other end of the hose into my barrel and turn on the motorhome water pump. This will pump the water from the barrel into the tank, but is an undesirable method. It is SLOW and there is no pump switch and the water panel and i have to have someone stand inside and yell back and forth or walk back inside and out.

I'd like to figure out a better way to use an external pump.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntsdad View Post
my 2004 Sea Breeze does not have a gravity fill port either. This is something that i wished that it had. We go boondocking for weeks at a time outside of civilization and routinely take (3) 55 gallon barrels of extra water. Getting it in the motorhome has been a challenge.

In my old travel trailer, Id simply use a cheap harbor frieght pump with a hose to the trailer and a hose shoved in the barrel. I could empty a barrel in 10 minutes.

In the motorhome now, I hook the output hose to the water inlet, turn it to tank fill and fire up the pump.

What has happened is it pumps SLOW and has burned up my pump (figured harbor Freight so no surprise) and then also a friends that was with me. This set of alarms......2 pumps??

The screen strainer is clean but there seems to be too much resistance to allow the water in from the power of the pump cause it to get HOT and burn up.

What I was able to do is connect the water hose to the "pump fill" inlet on the motorhome and drop the other end of the hose into my barrel and turn on the motorhome water pump. This will pump the water from the barrel into the tank, but is an undesirable method. It is SLOW and there is no pump switch and the water panel and i have to have someone stand inside and yell back and forth or walk back inside and out.

I'd like to figure out a better way to use an external pump.
The harbor freight pumps will last a long time the thing to understand is they are transfer pumps (not pressure pumps)..so they will move a good amount of water as long as they don't need to build pressure. You probably have the same issue I have (an internal regulator which in itself creates backpressure). Thing to do is add a T for pump fill. On my coach there is a handle you turn to send the external water either to the tank or the coach..Just follow the line from this fitting and add a fill port on the tank side (you'll just need to add one that can be sealed off - I'd protect it with another valve).

--OR if you can find the internal regulator just remove it and use an external then no mods necessary (besides removal of the regulator).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #21

My brand new Bay Star Sport does not have a gravity fill. It does have a water pump with the tube for winterizing. If I ever need it I can use it to add water from buckets but just don't envision the need. Boon dockers may run into this situation more often. Another option as stated is an electric pump and hoses to connect to the city fill.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #22

Okay you all can make fun of me as a newbie. But the only way I have filled my water tank is by the gravity feed opening which is right above the tank on the PS . I have never hooked pressurized city water on the drivers side as we do not stay in campgrounds much, as of yet. So if I hook to city water on the drivers side does it fill the water tank and then pressurize the system? We have a 2008 Damon Daybreak. My old MH only filled by gravity and did not have hook up for city water to pressurize system but then that was back in the 70's.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

Usually and there may be exceptions, if you have a gravity feed for your fresh water tank that is how you must do it. The city water feed then only feeds the RV and bypasses the water tank and pump. Some newer RV's do not have a gravity fill for the water tank. Instead they use the city water inlet and a control valve to direct the water to either the tank or to the RV plumbing. Both methods have their benefits and drawbacks depending on how you choose to "camp".

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #24

Thanks Wildtoad. I guess I will just have to try it this week and see what happens as we have not been hooked up to cty water as of yet.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water