Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #1

Final question before purchasing Class A

Hey all-

Just jumped an board as we are preparing to buy a Class A.

This past summer we rented a class C and drove around the country. Our family of 5 loved it so much we've been talking about buying one ever since returning...and the time is drawing near!!

We have our eyes on a 2019 Forest River Georgetown 33B3.
I've been told it's an "entry level" motorhome ... but we're OK with that as long as 'entry level' doesn't mean it spends more time in the shop than on the road.

The owner has only had one issue w it which was the chassis AC just after they drove off...Ford fixed it. They put on 18,000 miles over a year and a half...so it's had it's chances to show off more issues...but it hasn't. (They are selling because they are going to try to buy a sticks and bricks home)

We have an inspection scheduled for tomorrow with an NRVIA inspector.

If that comes back relatively "clean" should we have any concerns moving forward?

Thanks for any input/advice you can pass along!!
Drive_Thrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

If you have a knowledgeable inspector and he does a through job you should be good to go. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #3

Like you said, an 18 month old unit with 18,000 miles should have all the bugs worked out by now. It should be a good purchase.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
"If that comes back relatively clean should we have any concerns moving forward?

As you'd guessed it should have all of the "normal" new coach issues worked out, which is a good thing!

But you are buying a motorhome which means that you are buying constant maintenance and repair for as long as you own your coach. I heard one guy refer to motorhomes as "rolling earthquakes"; spot on in my opinion!

So, plan on and budget (money and time) for continual maintenance and repairs, fix things when they occur whenever possible, do it yourself if you can*, and ENJOY.

Oh, and welcome!

Regards,

Randy

* In all likelihood you'll do it better, faster, and cheaper than 90% of repair services out there. The state of the RV service/repair industry is dismal...
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive_Thrive View Post
Hey all-

Just jumped an board as we are preparing to buy a Class A.

This past summer we rented a class C and drove around the country. Our family of 5 loved it so much we've been talking about buying one ever since returning...and the time is drawing near!!

We have our eyes on a 2019 Forest River Georgetown 33B3.
I've been told it's an "entry level" motorhome ... but we're OK with that as long as 'entry level' doesn't mean it spends more time in the shop than on the road.

The owner has only had one issue w it which was the chassis AC just after they drove off...Ford fixed it. They put on 18,000 miles over a year and a half...so it's had it's chances to show off more issues...but it hasn't. (They are selling because they are going to try to buy a sticks and bricks home)

We have an inspection scheduled for tomorrow with an NRVIA inspector.

If that comes back relatively "clean" should we have any concerns moving forward?

Thanks for any input/advice you can pass along!!
Well,
You've been given good advice. But, just remember. You're buying a rolling Kleenex box! Americas roads are in many cases, less than perfect. And that takes its toll on motorhomes, much less any other vehicle. But, while an inspector, of any qualifications, might sign off on that coach as being fit for service, that doesn't mean you can't have an issue, or a series of issues beginning the next day. You HOPE that doesn't happen. You HOPE that you and your family can jump in it and have a ball, for as long as possible BEFORE it develops ANY issues.

Now, speaking of that, and I hate to sound like I'm being in any form, condescending in any way but, this is where I try and emphasize to any new motorhomer, LEARN YOUR COACH!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many lazy RV'ers out there that simply would rather ask on here, how to turn a light off, without trying to learn their own coach, it's not even funny. I emphasize learning your CHARGING systems especially. That is, learn just EXACTLY how your engine charges your house batteries and, on the opposite, learn just how your coach charges your chassis batteries when plugged into shore power. It's vitally important to know how both systems work so that, when you develop low battery voltage problems, and it is WHEN, not if, you'll have at least a basic knowledge of how either of those systems work and, you might be able to diagnose the issue.

Don't get me wrong, asking questions on here is just fine. That's what we're all here for. But, again, there are some that barely know how to open the door to enter the coach and rather than learn, they'd rather ask, "how do I get in my coach"?

Anyway, take some time and learn. Read some of the manuals, if you receive any from the previous owner, at night while watching TV etc. Good luck with your new toy Sir.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Couple of things to note - yes it’s quite “entry level” which might also translate in to durability. So while the chassis will be pretty much like the rest, it’s the components of the house that can send you to the shop. Are you shopping a certain area, or willing to look far and wide for the best coach for the money? Also with a family of five, since you’re looking at 34’ coaches, a washer/dryer will make life a lot easier. Of all the extras/options/creature comforts, that’s probably the biggest one for me - 2 adults, 2 dogs. Makes a difference.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #7

Good advice and comments. We are all at different levels of our motorhome knowledge journey, but we need that knowledge when something goes wrong.

The best question I read here was "How can I tell what engine my motorhome has?" and the best response was to "Look for the emblem in the center of the steering wheel" (and, yes, I acknowledge this might not be true on some rigs, but I laughed out loud just the same).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
You've been given good advice. But, just remember. You're buying a rolling Kleenex box! Americas roads are in many cases, less than perfect. And that takes its toll on motorhomes, much less any other vehicle. But, while an inspector, of any qualifications, might sign off on that coach as being fit for service, that doesn't mean you can't have an issue, or a series of issues beginning the next day. You HOPE that doesn't happen. You HOPE that you and your family can jump in it and have a ball, for as long as possible BEFORE it develops ANY issues.

Now, speaking of that, and I hate to sound like I'm being in any form, condescending in any way but, this is where I try and emphasize to any new motorhomer, LEARN YOUR COACH!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many lazy RV'ers out there that simply would rather ask on here, how to turn a light off, without trying to learn their own coach, it's not even funny. I emphasize learning your CHARGING systems especially. That is, learn just EXACTLY how your engine charges your house batteries and, on the opposite, learn just how your coach charges your chassis batteries when plugged into shore power. It's vitally important to know how both systems work so that, when you develop low battery voltage problems, and it is WHEN, not if, you'll have at least a basic knowledge of how either of those systems work and, you might be able to diagnose the issue.

Don't get me wrong, asking questions on here is just fine. That's what we're all here for. But, again, there are some that barely know how to open the door to enter the coach and rather than learn, they'd rather ask, "how do I get in my coach"?

Anyway, take some time and learn. Read some of the manuals, if you receive any from the previous owner, at night while watching TV etc. Good luck with your new toy Sir.
Scott
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #8

If you haven't, take the rig on a long test ride including some highway driving.

Your rental was built on a van chassis and this class A is built on a truck chassis with some RV modifications.

You may be satisfied with the ride and handling, but from following this site, it seems few are. Ride modifications is a very popular subject in the class A forums.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Good advice and comments. We are all at different levels of our motorhome knowledge journey, but we need that knowledge when something goes wrong.

The best question I read here was "How can I tell what engine my motorhome has?" and the best response was to "Look for the emblem in the center of the steering wheel" (and, yes, I acknowledge this might not be true on some rigs, but I laughed out loud just the same).
I liked “what do the two air gauges on my dash mean?”
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you haven't, take the rig on a long test ride including some highway driving.

Your rental was built on a van chassis and this class A is built on a truck chassis with some RV modifications.

You may be satisfied with the ride and handling, but from following this site, it seems few are. Ride modifications is a very popular subject in the class A forums.
A good point and one I’ll give a big X2! A class C, even a big one on a E450 will ride pretty nicely and a gas class A is more than likely going to ride like the delivery truck it’s built on. Even higher end ones. My 2010 Bay Star beat me up after about 300 miles, and had me thinking about taking a break the next day. But I could drive my 2012 Phoenix and 2001 Fourwinds Class C rigs all day and into the night and be good to do it again the next day.

There are a lot of mods available to improve the F53 handling and ride, and they help, but it still wont ride like a stock class C.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I liked “what do the two air gauges on my dash mean?”

A good point and one I’ll give a big X2! A class C, even a big one on a E450 will ride pretty nicely and a gas class A is more than likely going to ride like the delivery truck it’s built on. Even higher end ones. My 2010 Bay Star beat me up after about 300 miles, and had me thinking about taking a break the next day. But I could drive my 2012 Phoenix and 2001 Fourwinds Class C rigs all day and into the night and be good to do it again the next day.

There are a lot of mods available to improve the F53 handling and ride, and they help, but it still wont ride like a stock class C.
And that is why I bought a Thor Axis. Class A on a class C chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a