Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #1

Finally ordered the full Banks Power Pack system

I'm excited to say that today I ordered the full Banks Power pack system and the Transcommand. I think I got a good price. The full Banks kit was $1,298 and the Transcommand was $225. It seemed like a good price. Then I called Banks directly and they quoted me about $2,600 for both parts.

I was thinking of installing it myself, but with my luck I'll break some bolts etc. So I will probably have it installed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Factory installed is sometimes good.

You could check with Camping World.
I think they install the Banks to.
One of the things about having Banks in southern California install it, is that if you ever have trouble with it they will fix it or replace what ever it is no mater how long you have had it.
As long as you still own it.
Thats where I had my Banks installed.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had CW install the full setup although the Transcommand I moved from our '97 Type C to the new '98 Santara. The Transcommand was faulty and way out of warranty but Banks still replaced it. Don't remember how much we paid for the whole setup and install but it sure wasn't as cheap as you got it for!
It did make a difference, enough that I installed the Power Pack on our Cummins ISC and boy did that wake it up! The published numbers don't do it justice. Banks has a reputation for understating their dyno runs according to the magazine articles I've seen,
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations!
I went to the Banks factory to have it installed on a former coach. They were very helpful and had a place to camp overnight so they could start in the morning. I felt that they were the best to install their equipment. I was amazed at the increase in power and the engine seemed quieter and did not shift as much as previously.

You will get a MPG increase - IF you drive the same as before the installation. That is hard to do as the unit will be quicker to accelerate and etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor3650 View Post
I'm excited to say that today I ordered the full Banks Power pack system and the Transcommand. I think I got a good price. The full Banks kit was $1,298 and the Transcommand was $225. It seemed like a good price. Then I called Banks directly and they quoted me about $2,600 for both parts.

I was thinking of installing it myself, but with my luck I'll break some bolts etc. So I will probably have it installed.
I am thinking about a banks kit install to fix the exhaust leak due to broken manifold bolt. Where did you get that price at. Everything I have seen is closer to the banks direct price you listed.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #6

I got that price from Camping World. They had a sale about 2 weeks ago and the price was for "in stock" items from Banks. Since I bought the RV about 3 months ago I've wanted to add the Banks system. However, based on the regular price, I didn't think I would ever get it. When I saw this price, I had to jump on it. I can't wait to get it installed.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Last week I found out that the manifolds were warped. When I was crawling under the coach I also noticed the metal on the mufflers was flaking off. It was kinda a no brainer that I had the Banks power pack installed along with new plugs and plug wires and a new fuel filter. We will be leaving on a trip to Northern Michigan and I will be anxious to see how it performs.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

I installed the full banks package a few years ago. When on smoothly, everything was a good fit. I did spray all the manifold nuts/studs with penetrating oil a few times a day for about 3 days before I went at it. It all came off good, no issues and I was very happy with the results
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

So, what is the payback period. How substantial is the mpg savings?
captcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
In my case payback did not have any meaning as the heads were warped and the mufflers were questionable. The banks system uses stainless steel and I will never have to replace them. As to the mileage we just put on about 270 miles and if I can believe the average MPG on the dash instrument display I am getting from .5 to 1 mpg. better. I will have a more accurate number soon when I fill up the gas tank. I have noticed a much better performance going up the hills.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by captcas View Post
So, what is the payback period. How substantial is the mpg savings?

You will get a wide variety of comments to your question, mine may not be the only downer. I had full Banks, including transcommand installed on my 01 V-10. My mpg improvement - zero. So, for me, pay back - never. Performance improvement, 2, on a scale of 1 - 10.
Other than the advantages of the stainless steel - a huge waste of $$$$ for me.
That being said, you are going to hear from folks who have had a much better experience.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Pay back for increased mpg on any Banks Power Kit totally depends on ones foot.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #13

It does, however, a safe assumption would be that buyers purchase this system to gain extra mileage and would then attempt to calculate the increase in mpg, maintaining their normal driving habits.
captcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #14

Well, it has been about 4 months since I've had the system installed and all I can say is that, to me, it was worth every penny. The MH has so much more power that I no longer fear any long hills. Plus, around town, the MH is no longer a slug out of the light. It will actually keep up with traffic, which seems to surprise ALOT of people.

As for fuel mileage, I never did buy this for that reason. I don't know that my mileage has changed much, but then again now that I have the extra power, I tend to use it which negates any real fuel savings I may be getting.

Also, based on my research, the Banks system seems to have more benefit on the older 460/454 engines and not as much on the newer V10 engines. So, take that into consideration.

Tags
power